Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damned Skinless, boneless butchery!

Options
  • 15-11-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭

Some time ago a friend gave us some pork as they had a glut of it.
    It was from a well reared, free range, nasties free, cared for pig.
    It had skin on and bone in, rather crudely butchered but with amazing crackling, tasty meat and lovely bone. Pork chops as big as your plate!!

Obviously when given the opportunity to buy 1/4 of another pig, we jumped at the chance.
    However to our bitter disappointment, the farmer had changed butchers and everything was boneless and skinless - not a scrap of crackling!! Not a piece of bone in sight.
    Boneless ribs!!???:eek:WTF? No hocks, no belly, no cheek, nothing but boneless pork!!
    She had said that people were complaining about all the bone and skin!
    We weren't!

I've often noticed that at farmers markets I see an organic beef stall but when I enquire, all the meat is cut into thin steaks, boneless roasts and mince. If I wanted that, I'd go to the supermarket!

It seems such a waste to take really good meat and take away all the interesting bits and leave just bland supermarket cuts.
    I blame the consumer.
    Damn you skinless, boneless, chicken breast eating ninnies!!!

Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

This reminds me of my annoyance of no shin of beef EVER being available because people want their 'steak pieces' for their stew. Grr. Or no pork/lamb shoulder being available because everyone wants the boring loin. GAH!

You can't beat some nice salty crackling though. MMMmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I'm blessed with a butcher who rears alot of his own animales and when you buy half a pig etc you are given the option whether you want it skinned and boneless or totally intact (crackly, bones etc). I think the crackly and bones are some of the best parts and belly is my favourite. It is all in the cooking to make it non fatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That is a disgrace. As they say, "The only part of a pig that you can't eat is the 'Oink!'"

I had the pleasure last week of eating a 'slaughter plate' of pig including ear, hock and snout amongst other choice pieces. It was a real treat for me.

Keep asking your butcher for the traditional cuts and hopefully they will get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Down with that sort of thing !
    Eating the poor little piggies. :p

In my local town I visited a supermarket meat counter and 3 butchers before I could get minced lamb for a Moussaka. The guy in the supermarket meat counter said minced Lamb was rare!

I still have not been able to get my hands on Beef Cheeks anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I find it hard to get flank steak and thought with the recession, that would be a popular choice!

I love stuffed flank steak pot roasted with mashed potatoes.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have my own pigs like your friend, freerange and organically fed plus they get all the other little things that make real pork tasty like windfall apples, acorns etc.
    The local abbatoir behind me kills them for me and prepares them anyway I like.
    I usually get the chops cut with the kidneys in, great for the grill and they look so cool with the little medallion in them.
    The bones add a lot more flavour and moisture to the meat and it is really criminal to waste them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you're interested in this, a mate of mine is running a FB group here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=358569855781

Advertisement