Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike degreasing and oiling..

• 15-11-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

haven't cleaned my bike for the 1st time yet and am going to give it a go today.

so, first off, I plan on cleaning as much as I can with hot soapy water,rag and toothbrush, then I will apply a degreaser. Is there much of a difference between the aerosol variety and the pump ones(like on a window cleaner bottle)?

After this I will be applying lube, but I'm unsure if I should go with a dry or wet lube, or even both?

I use the bike to commute every day and for a weekend cycle (40-50k), so it does see its fair share of rain.

any pointers appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

cleaning and lubing your chain.
    http://bicycletutor.com/chain-lubrication/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Use very little soap in the water. The detergent will strip grease from hubs etc over time. Just use half a bucket of warm water will do, brush.
    Best thing is to put it up on a bike stand, remove the wheels and wash down with warm water. Do the rims/wheels separately. Wipe the spokes. Don't wash the hubs with detergent or anything.

You can take the chain off completely and soak it in diesel / petrol or something. Wash it and re oil. replace.
    I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner at work and it gives it a good ol rattle.

Advertisement