Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disinfectant for outdoors.

• 15-11-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭

For those who have outdoor runs/kennels i was just wondering what disinfectant ye all use.
    Have been using jeyes fluid diluted for years but wary of it this time of year as the drying of the yard is slow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Jeyes Fluid is okay around dogs but not cats.

You can get pet safe disinfectants from the co-op shops - they do stuff like borax etc in bulk form.

Alternatively if you want to be eco-friendly as well as safe, you could make your own using tea tree oil and boiling water, maybe with a bit of wash-up liquid thrown in for extra cleaning power. Vinegar is also a good disinfectant, can smell a bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

eco-friendly version kill bacteria?

this seems like a less offensive one to use in winter so there is no pad damage from yards that aint drying to well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I use dettol, not the origional but the other 'flavours'. Someone once told me not to use a disinfectant that goes cloudy in water for animals because it's harmful, not sure how true it is but that's why I avoid origional dettol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I use Safe4, theres a supplier in the north that delivers throughout the island, it comes in 3 'flavours', mint, apple and original, I love the apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I use dettol, not the origional but the other 'flavours'. Someone once told me not to use a disinfectant that goes cloudy in water for animals because it's harmful, not sure how true it is but that's why I avoid origional dettol.

This! I use the purple one (lavender and orange) after a scrub down with a bio washing powder mix. I stay away from anything that goes cloudy in water for this reason too. Our path goes very green over the winter and this works a treat. We wash down with Jayes Fluid every so often to really get all the gunge off (usually weh I haven't done it in ages and I really want to get it clean) but the bio wash with dettol afterwards works really well. The biggest pain is washing it off, making sure there is no bio or dettol bubbles left. Once that is done, it dries like normal. It would probably be ok to use Jayes more often as long as you wash it off really well several times before letting the dogs onto it.

• Advertisement

also suffer badly with the dreaded green junge,horrid stuff that requires the power washer once a month though the yard itself is suffering from the washer now.
    dettol i may start using as it is touch friendly

ISDW wrote: »
    I use Safe4, theres a supplier in the north that delivers throughout the island, it comes in 3 'flavours', mint, apple and original, I love the apple.

expensive stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Tesco pine disinfectant,69 cent for a litre:)Mix with water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Depends, now and then a good wash down with bleach but as said in this weather runs take longer to dry. I use Ecover floor wash sometimes, it doesn't kill germs but I use it in very hot water.
    Usually as money is tight over winter I switch to very hot water with a good splash of cheap white vinegar and some tea tree, lavender or orange oil.
    Obviously don't go mixing certain disinfectants but no harm in changing now and then.
    I find if you stick to one you start getting used to the smell yourself and that smell then reminds you of dog pee..don't ask.

Think the trick is to allow the disinfectant to sit on the floor for a good while but you can rinse it all off afterwards so when dogs run on it they should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

dahat wrote: »
    eco-friendly version kill bacteria?

this seems like a less offensive one to use in winter so there is no pad damage from yards that aint drying to well.

Yep, it kills bacteria. It's strong stuff, tea tree oil. You can get it in most chemists and health food shops. A little goes a long way.

I thought dettol was dangerous around cats? Of course, if you only have dogs, that could be a bonus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Where do you get it from ISDW - I've gotten it from a site in the UK but the shipping is expensive. It lasts months thou so I supposed I'm getting my moneys worth!:pac: Also I love that cherry smell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tk123 wrote: »
    Where do you get it from ISDW - I've gotten it from a site in the UK but the shipping is expensive. It lasts months thou so I supposed I'm getting my moneys worth!:pac: Also I love that cherry smell :)

I was getting it from Fionn health, but can't find it on their site anymore, so maybe she's stopped selling it. I'm going to the dog show in Cloghran on 5th December (or is the 4th?) so I'll get some there I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I was getting it from Fionn health, but can't find it on their site anymore, so maybe she's stopped selling it. I'm going to the dog show in Cloghran on 5th December (or is the 4th?) so I'll get some there I guess.

Its Sunday the 5th:)

What kind of price is that disinfectant? I think i need to start using it in my garden now, esp with 2 of them.

Advertisement