Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rating of Electric Cable for Ovens/Hobs

Options
  • 15-11-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry to be back again but forgot to mention in my previous 'spots' post that my builder seems to be insisting that I need to have the rating for the electic oven(s) and hob for the electrician. I would have thought that the cabling for the oven/hob should be capable for taking the loading of any standard domestic applicance and therefore there would be no need to have this knowledge in advance. We are going with a double oven and induction hob and I would have thought this was not a very unusual option. Is it really the case that we have to preselect our oven/hob or is he being overly inflexible? Also he says we need 3 isolator switches - one for each applicance. He also said his electrician insists on a seperate isolator switch for the microwave. This would mean 4 fairly intrusive switches over the worktop of the kitchen for what is otherwise a very clean/simple design. Is this over the top? Could we place some/all of these switches in a corner unit that has a roller door and where we (my wife) proposes to 'hide' the kettle/toaster?

Maybe we're over reacting here - can modern isolator switched be reasonably streamlined and therefore less intrusive that the old 150mm high switches with oversized red buttons?

Any advice would greatly help get over the latest 'crisis'

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think this might be better in the electrical forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I find this very odd to be honest. Im no electrician but from house building experience, 6mm sq. cable is what is installed to cooker point in all builds that Ive been involved with. Same as generally goes to Electric shower.
    Isolator for a microwave? I dont get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

well he's right :)

but your sparkie could probably play it safe by running 2 6sq's and fitting 2 isolating switches

as the double oven and hob may well exceed the 10kw allowed

your microwave will also probably need an accessible isolating switch

2 metres max from appliances for isolating switches

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1

OP, you have a smart builder there.

Also inaccessible sockets should have a double pole isolator. I would guess that this applies to your microwave. It might seem over the top, but it is part of the new regulations.

Also for some hobs (especially induction) the load can be large (>9.5 kW) so if they are not that close to the board they may require a 10 sq. cable rather than the "standard" 6 sq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like the type of builder and electrician combination to be recommended judging by that OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya have to laugh:)

reminds me of my recent debate(here) with the kitchen fitter

eventually he told me it was 12kw(same excuse everbody uses a 6sq:pac:) -so i ran 2 6's

even more recently an appliance fitter told me leave a 30mt 2.5 supply for
    a 4.5kw inductive load

Advertisement