Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Rapid 3 2011

• 15-11-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Got go ahead foe the bike to work scheme in my job....

No I wanted to get the 2010 model last year after my 2007 crs 4 got stolen.

Has anybody and good/bad experiences with the 2011 model?

Going to be used mainly for a 30km round trip commute most days and for family cycles during the summer(Reason im not going for the racer...)

Appreciate Comments...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Get the racer and fit a pair of cross brake levers for the upright position with the family...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

Thanks but the family concern is that i want to put a bike seat on the crossbar for my 4 year old.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=218&idproduct=36783

While they dont look great they are very effective for a weekend cycle for my son, my wife and me.

The positioning of the racer wouldnt work with this child seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Crossbar seats are crap. Much better to hang him out the back.

I Disagree... I have used both and its much safer to have the child in front than behind. Especially if the child looks behind and shifts to see something, you can always feel the bike move... More control with front seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I Disagree... I have used both and its much safer to have the child in front than behind. Especially if the child looks behind and shifts to see something, you can always feel the bike move... More control with front seat.

I would be concerned about riding bow-legged or snapping the child's neck if I went over the bars.

Each to their own.

• Advertisement

If anyone has any experiences regarding the Good or the Bad for the Giant Rapid 3 2011 it would be much appreciated....
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Be wary of crossbar seats. It ain't right for your knees to be out at angles on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hmm. Might be a bit of an issue. OTOH, I sometimes have my 10 year-old on the crossbar with the drop bars. It's a bit of a tight fit but do-able. I suspect that with a slightly higher stem you might do it with the road bike.

Looking at the specs, the Rapid 3 (hybrid) and the Defy 3 (road) are pretty much the same frame. If you flipped the stem on the Defy and fitted cross levers you would end up with pretty much the same riding position on the tops as you get on the Rapid. You'll get better spec hardware (sora vs r443) and more hand position options. It'd be definately worthwhile trying out the seat on both before committing to the hybrid. You'll pay more for the Defy 3 but, given the bike to work scheme it would be worth the difference.

That said, the Rapid 3 looks pretty decent. I've been running an FCR3 (the 2008 equivalent) quite happily for a few years now. Mind you, I did a drops conversion on it and wore out the original wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I'm looking at buying the Rapid 3 (2011) also. Would also like to get some opinions on it, or have a recommendation on an alternative. I am looking for a fast Hybrid basically, this bike is also for a 30k round trip commute with the odd short spin at the weekends in the summer.

I have priced the Rapid 3 2011, it's about 100 euro more than the 2010 version which is no longer available, all of the parts seem to be the same, which is anooying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

So, I went to get a Rapid 3 last Saturday. The guy in the in the shop (Richies in Swords) recomended this Ridley instead:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=37861

They have an offer on it for €860. He said compared to the Rapid 3 its components are a lot better for the same kind of money, although, its less sporty.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/rapid.3/7844/45454/

They also have a Bianchi Cameolante Sport 1 for €779, but he insists the extra €80 for thr Ridley is well worth it

Anyone else agree?

I'm ordering 1 of these 3 this weekend, need to make a decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement