Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an engineer to evaluate damp in our house?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for someone to recommend an engineer who could have a look at our house, which suffers from damp in two of the bedrooms.

I've contacted the builder, homebond etc with no joy.
    I'm looking to getting a professional opinion as to what's causing it and what's the best solution.
    I've already gotten the walls insulated and double rads put in.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will need a _consultant_ engineer if you want a report for Homebond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Homebond = waste of time until you have an engineer and a solicitor involved.

I recommend John Mooney and Associates for any work which might eventually end up in court. 091-565623

Have you involved whoever provides your house insurance? The loss adjuster may assign an engineer too.

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it is a big job you should have an engineer, I think the threshhold is 10,000-14,000, then the loss adjuster will pay for the engineer and 2 skips on top of the work and materials.

For a small job the loss adjuster will not allow an engineers costs and you gotta haggle over skips and scaffold and stuff. Homebond need to be threatened with court to get them to pay anything, probably the biggest insurance scam in Ireland. Homebond max payout per premises is under €40,000 no matter what.

Homebond will not even tell affected homeowners with pyrite what the story is, and they compiled the bloody database. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

are the bedrooms on 1st floor or second floor?
    where is the dampness most visible - floor or ceiling level?
    are these bedrooms en suite?
    are these external walls?

Theres are great DIY section on www.askaboutmoney.com (in the don't ask about money part) - I got lots of good advice there previously.

Advertisement