Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike computer V Gmaps pedometer

• 15-11-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭

How accurate are on board computers, does it depend on model etc or positioning of the pick up on the spoke perhaps? Sat morning I went - Drumcondra - Malahide - Baldoyle - over Howth (church side)- Coast road to Drumcondra. Bike computer said 48k and GMaps said 45k and I would lean towards gmaps being the more accurate but not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm only a newbie myself to bike computers, I've got a wired model with cadence, its very reliable and very accurate, but............2 things: 1> make sure you have the right wheel size (if appropriate) entered into the computer settings, 2> try and have the 'sensor to magnet' partnership very close, ie. within 3mm.
    ATM, I'm on the look out for a computer that logs the data, and one that you can upload it to your PC, but...............there doesn't seem to be that many options around.............bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your computer would definitely be far more accurate than google maps. Google maps will very often show a route as being shorter than it is - the roads don't curve as late as they do in real life and so google maps takes a "shortcut" and you lose that distance.

If you use iMapMyRide on the iPhone and look at the overlay on a Google map, the two only roughly sync up.

Gmaps are good for route finding and rough estimation, but they're nowhere near gospel. Openstreetmaps are much more accurate. 3km over 48km is only 6% off the actual distance, which sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bike computers are very simple things, they just count wheel rotations and multiply that by wheel circumference. There can be a certain amount of variance depending on things like inflation pressure but ultimately they are as accurate as the wheel size you enter into them. If you want absolute accuracy you need to do a "roll out" test sitting on the bike to measure your tyre's actual circumference but the manufacturer's conversion table is close enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jeffm587

Thanks for the replies, the computer was already on the bike when I got it , but I am pretty confident they would have entered the correct wheel size. I will have a look later in the settings. The mag -sensor gap is deffo in the region of 3mm so I guess the computer would be the more accurate after all. I have the Imap my ride app also, just havent got round to using it yet. Next time out I will run it and see how it compares.

Advertisement