Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland at night

Options
  • 15-11-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Beautiful pic of Ireland at night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The brits are being invaded by aliens! YESSSSSSSS:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Ill never understand how the brits got planning for those three towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Or how they got permission to move the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Beautiful pic of Ireland at night
    There plenty of Towns in the wrong place or more precisely renamed :eek:

Kilkenny has been renamed Portlaoise
    Carlow has been renamed Newbridge.
    Portlaoise has been renamed Tullamore,
    Nenagh has been renamed Loughrea
    Tullamore has been renamed Athlone
    Athlone has been renamed Roscommon.
    Castlebar has been renamed Ballina.
    Millstreet has been renamed as Kanturk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

limklad wrote: »
    There plenty of Towns in the wrong place or more precisely renamed :eek:

Kilkenny has been renamed Portlaoise
    Carlow has been renamed Newbridge.
    Portlaoise has been renamed Tullamore,
    Nenagh has been renamed Loughrea
    Tullamore has been renamed Athlone
    Athlone has been renamed Roscommon.
    Castlebar has been renamed Ballina.

South Kilkenny has been renamed to Waterford!! hahahaha ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Heathen wrote: »
    South Kilkenny has been renamed to Waterford!! hahahaha ;)

Proper order, since the feckers all work here! :D

Would be nice to see it without all the labels though. I don't really care which splodge in the Midlands is Tullamore after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Or how they got permission to move the Isle of Man.

holy hell im welsh now :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

night.jpg
    Without the editing for names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Anyone know the link of this to the nasa site?

I wanna try get a high res version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Anyone know the link of this to the nasa site?

I wanna try get a high res version :)

Taken By Doug Wheelock onboard the ISS. He posts pics up on his twitter page,here's the aforementioned pic:http://twitpic.com/36xbzh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ah k cheers, would of been a nice wallpaper if it was high res.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Such a pity really that we waste such an amount of energy lighting up our sky.

It's a pretty picture, but personally I find it hard to enjoy this as I'm an astronomer and the light pollution is a pain in the ass sometimes.

I'll try to clean up the image to get it a bit sharper and remove the motion blur from it, but it'll take a bit of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Theres a night time thing on google earth as well, go to gallery > nasa > earth city lights

Shows the whole world at night and its got a pretty good resolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Popoutman wrote: »
    Such a pity really that we waste such an amount of energy lighting up our sky. as I'm an astronomer and the light pollution is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Ireland must have the worst light pollution per capita by a big margin. It's rare enough to get good observing conditions but then it's ruined by light pollution, after a gap of many years, I returned a bit to astronomy this year, my heart is broken with light everywhere ~ this picture just proves my point.

A few months ago now, we had a low expectancy of observing the Aurora Borealis after a mag 3 event deep down here in the South [we really need a mag 5 event to see anything] but this mag 3 could potentially be seen very low ~

Well, as you've guessed already, not a hope ~ we traveled to Mallow for a bit of height but the light pollution was extreme ~ I can clearly see this on the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Light pollution isn't too bad where I live, it's good for astronomy.

I guess if we lived in North Korea we might enjoy some light pollution since they seem to be very environmentally friendly when it comes to leaving the lights on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Does most light pollution come from street lighting?

If so, are there better methods of providing street lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Joe Public wrote: »
    Does most light pollution come from street lighting?

If so, are there better methods of providing street lighting?

There are better design methods of providing street lighting such as using street lights that only light downwards, and not upwards - in lighting design you assess the Upward Light Ouput Ratio

Another option is to reduce street lighting lux levels after a certian time i.e. 2 am on a tuesday night, no-one will notice if the lighting is at half lux level...

Also, once you've looked at the light source, and optimised it, then you have to consider what it is lighting - black tarmac (as spec'd for motorways) doesn't relfect much light, whereas light concrete does...

But the best way to reduce sky glow is to elimate street lights & building floodlighting altogether - not possible in a lot of places becuase of safety or security concerns...but alot of building floodlighting/advertising signage is unecessary

For now, some local authorities look to see that you comply with http://www.darksky.org

TBH I would say we don't have any enough street lighting, security and safety will always come ahead of light pollution in my mind, areas of Carlow lack street lighting badly especially some dangerous roads on the edge of towns.

I'm sure there are ways of using more modern lightng that will save electricity and help reduce the impact.

ireland-fix-small.jpg

Richardson-Lucy deconvolution, using IRIS.

• Advertisement

as an interesting point - brightly lit areas are more unsecure than unlit areas - it's a fallacy that more light is more secure and more safe. I'll expound more on that elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how in the hell is newbridge more lit up than carlow? carlow isn't great, but newbridge is a bloody dive

Popoutman wrote: »
    as an interesting point - brightly lit areas are more unsecure than unlit areas - it's a fallacy that more light is more secure and more safe. I'll expound more on that elsewhere.
    I'm talking about safety in terms of RTA involving pedestrians

Villain wrote: »
    I'm talking about safety in terms of RTA involving pedestrians

The best type of lighting for pedestrian safety is one that doesn't involve bright bulbs being visible to the drivers. A good example is the type of lighting at most country villages where the speed limits are at the moment, and these are at some pedestrian crossings as well. These lights are the ones with the red and white striped shrouds under the actual light fitting that prevents the light from coming out at more than about 30 degrees from the vertical. This illuminates the area directly under the light without the light itself being seen by oncoming drivers.

It's worth noting though that if there were *no* streetlights, pedestrians would probably have to carry their own lights making them a bit more visible at night.
    At dusk, no realistic amount of lighting would help better define pedestrians.

I think that a lot of the street lighting in Ireland is both out of date in design - too much light above the horizontal and too much light outside of the area near the lightpole, and it is most often too bright for its purpose of road illumination. We'd be better off with a few more lights of much less wattage, closer together with better direction of the light output. Most of the new roads in the West have intelligent lighting designs, with full-cutoff light fixtures and attention to the sightlines of drivers. But that's a bit off-topic ;)

We could do a lot better with our home lighting as well, and picking reflectors that throw the light where it is needed instead of going above or near to the horizontal. We should pick the positioning of lights that ensures that there is no glare - this means better lighting and more security. The so-called "Security Lights" that contain a 200w halogen bulb, in a fitting designed to throw up to half of the light away into the sky instead of on the ground, are a light pollution disaster. Add to that the fact that they are a criminal's dream, as they provide such a bright source of unshielded light that you could walk around under one and not be seen by someone a few hundred yards away because of the glare. So many company yards, football pitches (the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick needs to have every bulb shielded or fixed), or private homes have really poor lighting design, and most councils are either unaware or otherwise uncaring about the issue...

My old man's a spark, and I've been an astronomer for 25+ years. Light pollution and bad design and installation annoys me as it is so easily preventable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,924 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We use a lot of light in Tuam don't we?!

Interesting - my de-blurred pic from above tends to make its way around the internets :)
    Seen a few people use this particular picture as a FaceBook pic.

(There's a better/sharper pic from 2011 here: http://url.ie/hee3)

(fixed the URL)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

That link doesn't seem to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thank god we don't light most of the motorways. Only the Naas Road can really be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thank god we don't light most of the motorways. Only the Naas Road can really be seen.

And the bypass around athlone

Advertisement