Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could anyone recommend a Safe/Quality electricain in NorthCounty/Swords area?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a quality electrician in the Swords/Fingal/North County area.

I know there's a sticky at the top of this forum (which i'll be browsing through...i'm also gonna check the North Co Dub forum) but i would ideally like to be able to check that electricians are registered with the app bodies etc as although this is a very small job (extra plug socket) its for an oxygen concentrator so if its not done correctly the consequences would be really awful...ie one spark and boom!

If there's any probs with posting the names/info of a particular electrician i'd hugely appreciate it if you could take the time to pm me!

Thanks a mill
    DrF ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a quality electrician in the Swords/Fingal/North County area.

I know there's a sticky at the top of this forum (which i'll be browsing through...i'm also gonna check the North Co Dub forum) but i would ideally like to be able to check that electricians are registered with the app bodies etc as although this is a very small job (extra plug socket) its for an oxygen concentrator so if its not done correctly the consequences would be really awful...ie one spark and boom!

If there's any probs with posting the names/info of a particular electrician i'd hugely appreciate it if you could take the time to pm me!

Thanks a mill
    DrF ;-)

Well a socket is a simple job (the connecting anyway), getting the cable to it can be a bit of work, but all sockets will arc a little when switched on or especially when switched off, lots of items in a house will generate small sparks, thats why we are advised not to swith on or off any items in a house when you smell gas. So i dont think there are any more worries than with any other item you would plug in, if there was a concern, then the item could only be used in an explosive protected area.
    The oxygen concentrators used in homes are safe enough anyway, and a spark wont ignite oxygen anyway, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well a socket is a simple job (the connecting anyway), getting the cable to it can be a bit of work, but all sockets will arc a little when switched on or especially when switched off, lots of items in a house will generate small sparks, thats why we are advised not to swith on or off any items in a house when you smell gas. So i dont think there are any more worries than with any other item you would plug in, if there was a concern, then the item could only be used in an explosive protected area.
    The oxygen concentrators used in homes are safe enough anyway, and a spark wont ignite oxygen anyway, believe it or not.

Really? Are you sure? That'd be a great relief to me as everything i'm reading is making me think one spark and the whole lot goes up. The guy that brought the concentrator told me some horror stories as well (granted he was talking about open flames) but alot of the guides are warning that a spark could be disastorous!!

Thats why i want to at least get an extra socket in so that if nothing else the concentrator has its own power point/socket (as its a 24/7, 365 situation) and the room it's mainly gonna be in only has the one socket.

You wouldn't know by any chance if there's any further precautions we could take - like some kind of anti/spark/fire fitting - i can't find anything online?
    Cheers!

Really? Are you sure? That'd be a great relief to me as everything i'm reading is making me think one spark and the whole lot goes up. The guy that brought the concentrator told me some horror stories as well (granted he was talking about open flames) but alot of the guides are warning that a spark could be disastorous!!

Thats why i want to at least get an extra socket in so that if nothing else the concentrator has its own power point/socket (as its a 24/7, 365 situation) and the room it's mainly gonna be in only has the one socket.

You wouldn't know by any chance if there's any further precautions we could take - like some kind of anti/spark/fire fitting - i can't find anything online?
    Cheers!

Maybe others here might have an input on it, but i dont believe any precautions are required for a machine designed for domestic use. This is a concentrator which has an oqygen mask for a patient i assume?

Yes an atmosphere of oxygen will not ignite unless there is a source of fuel, but the concentrator would not cause the room to become any higher a concentration anyway unless you left it in a sealed room for days, and even then the concentrator needs a supply of normal air to extract the oxygen from anyway. So it wont really be any risk.

Does the concentrator have any alarm to say the power is gone off?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Maybe others here might have an input on it, but i dont believe any precautions are required for a machine designed for domestic use. This is a concentrator which has an oqygen mask for a patient i assume?

Yes an atmosphere of oxygen will not ignite unless there is a source of fuel, but the concentrator would not cause the room to become any higher a concentration anyway unless you left it in a sealed room for days, and even then the concentrator needs a supply of normal air to extract the oxygen from anyway. So it wont really be any risk.

Does the concentrator have any alarm to say the power is gone off?

Yes it has an oxygen mask and an alarm this is the concentrator here: http://www.oxymaster.net/shp.php?prid=1203&lgid=en&ctname=Oxygen_Concentrator

I think i get what you're saying...basically for a spark to ignite there would have to be a very high concentration of oxygen...is that right?

Though i'd be worried that if for example a socket itself caught fire, even just a small flame while they were sleeping it could quickly cause ignition across the room, maybe not leaving enough time to put a small fire out etc (I'm also gonna look around for a fire extinguisher) - so i'm hoping i can find some kind of plug cover or some way of isolating the area around the plug socket for extra safety.

Thanks for the information...i was i have to admit terrified that even a crackle of spark and there'd be an explosion:o
    Cheers for taking the time to explain that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can give it a 'clean line'

ie:separate circuit+rcbo and even a UPS to ensure supply continuity

dunno about the hazard side of things:D

• Advertisement

Yes it has an oxygen mask and an alarm this is the concentrator here: http://www.oxymaster.net/shp.php?prid=1203&lgid=en&ctname=Oxygen_Concentrator

I think i get what you're saying...basically for a spark to ignite there would have to be a very high concentration of oxygen...is that right?

Though i'd be worried that if for example a socket itself caught fire, even just a small flame while they were sleeping it could quickly cause ignition across the room, maybe not leaving enough time to put a small fire out etc (I'm also gonna look around for a fire extinguisher) - so i'm hoping i can find some kind of plug cover or some way of isolating the area around the plug socket for extra safety.

Thanks for the information...i was i have to admit terrified that even a crackle of spark and there'd be an explosion:o
    Cheers for taking the time to explain that!!

It would need a high concentration of oxygen and fuel, or a fire, once you have a smoke alarm i dont think there is any more of a risk than normal in any house. Hospitals are full of oxygen facilities and masks etc, never any problem. Once there is an alarm i dont think there would be a need for a dedicated circuit unless there is no chance the alarm can be heard.

Advertisement