Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shock horror drugs story not on cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rugby forum maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i think you've missed the point of these sub forums.

do you have thoughts or are you just looking for mine as it usually helps and is always nice for you to at least contribute your own two cents if your gonna start a topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

a) Chiliboy Ralepelle is a most excellent name.
    b) Getting caught for using mild stimulants shows inadequate dedication to the art of doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Personally I think it's a disgrace these rugby players getting caught and taking the heat off cyclists. I'm so livid.

An d apparently not even proper drugs either.

Not much doing on the rugby forum on this. Sure there's no problem with drugs in rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

shaungil wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a disgrace these rugby players getting caught and taking the heat off cyclists. I'm so livid.

eh, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

If they where to test rugby players to the levels they test cyclists half them would get banned !! them guys are juiced big time !!

It almost seems they frown more upon recreational drugs in rugby than performance enhancers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts on it here than in the Rugby Forum (so far at least), although one poster over there has already managed to mention cycling ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Right....

Im (back) off to the Rugby Forum to mention cyclists :D

So many great ideas here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

In my strange round about way I found it instructive to look at the reaction to this story as opposed to a cycling one.

If it had been two cyclists there would have been
    1) a long thread discussion here.
    2) the usual oh it's cyclists again from media in general.

However cos it's rugby it seems to not really be a huge story (on a quiet news day) and there's no wringing of hands over the problem of drugs in sport. IMHO there has to be much more drug taking in soccer/rugby because the rewards are simply so high but the examples that do occur (Ferdinand, Spies, Juve, Sheahan) especially in soccer are kind of glossed over.

There are a few rumours floating around about rugby players SA and Irish I've heard of guys going off the radar for a year or two and coming back huge but just doesn't seem to be anything ever chased up on this.

Whatever my opinion on drugs in cycling I'm in no doubt it occurs in other sports because the potential awards are so large but it never seems to be chased up.

• Advertisement

When i was younger i was well into gym, i know a lot about the steriods the guys take in ireland,i ve friends that bodybuild they know all the guys selling the stuff whos on whos off, i see the younger guys around 16 juiced with all the tell tail signs of being on a course. It looks like it goes hand in hand with club rugby in ireland !! There very cheap for around 400 euro you could get yourself a 3 month course if taken right might help you pack on 5 - 10kgs for bulking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

rugby players juicing? mind=blown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

I also believe that there is a whole lot of drug taking going on in rugby. However , I do not believe that the problem is as endemic as it is in cycling.
    Cycling's reputation as one of the most drug riddled sports is well deserved in my opinion.
    Yes, there are cover ups and non detections in other sports but this is also happening in cycling.

I do agree that drug taking is largely ignored by the media when it comes to other sports. When Marcello Lippi was here as manager of the Italian team a couple of years ago I looked out for any mention of his history with drugs in the Irish media. Nothing.
    Never hear Zidane, Del Pierro, Deschamps etc. described as 'drugs cheats' either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

top madra wrote: »
    rugby players juicing? mind=blown

Taking methylhexaneamine is juicing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Pherekydes wrote: »
    i was talking in general..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

is it not banned????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

morana wrote: »
    is it not banned????

Yep, but so was caffeine for a while. I must go and "juice up" on a coffee.

To me juicing is using stuff like 'roids or EPO or other serious ****.

Methylhexaneamine is a mild stimulant, which doesn't seem to impart any great advantage. People are testing positive for it because it's in various sports supplements and over the counter remedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anecdotally, I know there's a bit of juicing going on in rugby, mostly stimulants of one sort or another. In my previous club, we had a doctor in to talk to our youths about doping - where to get the good stuff, how not to get caught etc etc (only kidding:)) -

he came in to talk to them about a range of nutrition and sports stuff and included a bit about doping - both the long terms health implications of it and the more immediate problems overdoing Redbull can cause before a game.

I'm surprised there isn't more steroid abuse - or if there is that they don't catch it.........I'm also totally shocked (and appalled) that there aren't more GAA players caught - I know the GAA have an anti-doping programme but it seems to be very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Yep, but so was caffeine for a while. I must go and "juice up" on a coffee.

To me juicing is using stuff like 'roids or EPO or other serious ****.

Methylhexaneamine is a mild stimulant, which doesn't seem to impart any great advantage. People are testing positive for it because it's in various sports supplements and over the counter remedies.

but its on the list it doesnt matter how strong or mild...its on the list and therefore it can be termed juice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm surprised there isn't more steroid abuse - or if there is that they don't catch it.........I'm also totally shocked (and appalled) that there aren't more GAA players caught - I know the GAA have an anti-doping programme but it seems to be very quiet.

There was an emphasis on this a few years back and a certain group of players from at least one hurling County refused to co-operate with testers after games.
    One of these players now suffers from kidney issues, I wonder why?
    The GAA might be more like the UCI than you think because they didn't tackle the issue at all, at the time.

People will argue for (and against) that you are not comparing like with like and that GAA is an amateur sport as against cycling being a pro sport.....I don't accept this argument. GAA has now become a pro sport played by amateurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

morana wrote: »
    but its on the list it doesnt matter how strong or mild...its on the list and therefore it can be termed juice!!!

i was listening to matt williams talking about it on off the ball last night and he was pointing out that the substance has been flagged to be taken off the list in january as it doesn't really enhance performance.. kind of makes a bit of a joke of it if you can be banned for a year for taking a substance which, two months in to your ban, becomes legal again. why cant they just immediately remove it from the list once they've established it isn't performance enhancing. especially if its common in many over the counter products.

Advertisement