Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blowouts

• 15-11-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Had a blowout yesterday evening while out for a spin. There's a rip all the way up the entire length of the sidewall to the centre of the tyre.
    Luckily I was only 2km from home so I walked it back.
    My question is, is there anything you can do to the tyre just to get you home? I think I read something before about taping the inside of the tyre with duct tape.
    Also, the tyres on my bike are 23mm Continental Ultra Sports. Are these decent tyres? Should I just replace the tyre or buy a different set which offers better puncture protection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

23mm Continental Ultra Sports. The worst tyre I have ever used. Mine let me down 100 meters from the top of sally gap on a very wet and cold day. After using my 2 spare tubes I eventually found the problem was that they were ripping along the thread cut outs. I seems to me that the thread was cut too deep thus weakening the tyre.
    If you don't want to carry a spare foldup tyre, you can do a temporary repair by putting a 'boot' between the tube and tyre to get you home. Any piece of thin plastic like an energy bar wrapper or a piece of yoghurt carton will do and always carry one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I always keep two pieces of an old tyre for that very purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

+1 on the ultra sports they're very delicate. ultra gatorskin this time of year is a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

23mm Continental Ultra Sports. The worst tyre I have ever used.

We're off to a good start :rolleyes:
    I eventually found the problem was that they were ripping along the thread cut outs. I seems to me that the thread was cut too deep thus weakening the tyre.

I Just had another look at the tyre and the rip runs through one of the thread cut outs. Sounds like you're right!
    levitronix wrote: »
    I always keep two pieces of an old tyre for that very purpose

Sounds like a good idea! I'll cut a few strips off the damaged tyre & throw them in the saddle bag.

Cheers for the advice lads! Time to go buy some decent tyres I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Put an extra wrap of insulting tape on the end of your bartape as well just incase you need some tape for a quick fix , when your stuck it will come in handly

• Advertisement
Advertisement