Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgia Thread: Peter Pan Fun World

Options
  • 15-11-2010 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭

Who else is young enough to remember this?

Ray Foley was on about it today and it brought back a ****load of memories. The Coca Cola slide that broke at least one arm a day, the shhnake slide (proper pronunciation) and the ballpit.

For anybody who can't remember it was in Wellpark. Closed down a good few years ago sadly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Ah yes. Many a birthday party was held there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

used to work there. best job and craic ever..only downside of it was that tug on yer arm from some kid telling he found poo in the ball pool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

fifib wrote: »
    used to work there. best job and craic ever..only downside of it was that tug on yer arm from some kid telling he found poo in the ball pool!

That's a beautiful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Slush puppies, the smell of feet, climbing up the bouncing castle, getting stuck half way down the twirly slide, throwing the long hanging thingys back in someones face...ah yes. Great time to be a kid. That was where the Eye Cinema is now ain't it?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Slush puppies, the smell of feet, climbing up the bouncing castle, getting stuck half way down the twirly slide, throwing the long hanging thingys back in someones face...ah yes. Great time to be a kid. That was where the Eye Cinema is now ain't it?

Pretty sure it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Ah yeah, me and my friends tried to mentally map this one night, some bits I couldn't remember. Here's my MS Paint skills:

CD0Ef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I loved Peter Pan so so much. I remember it took me so long to not be afraid of the Coca-Cola slide, I'd climb up and it would seem so tall and steep that I'd just climb back down again.

Gorilla Games was great too, I seriously wish that place was still open. I spent so many rainy saturdays there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LMAO that map is great, I think where the questions mark are is where the big sponge shapes were for very young kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Remember everyone trying to outdo themselves on bragging on how many times they went on the Coca-Cola slide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

in front of the bouncing castle was the yellow slide, the ghost house, the bouncy balls, those hanging balls that ran along a track and you could sit on them and the "car wash" - 2 rotating barrel shaped things that you slid through.
    the green side/snake slide was in the other section one level up from the coca cola slide. there were them rope ladders and bridges all over the area too and the discs you stud on and spun yourself round on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I loved that place, but strangely enough, my favourite part was probably the most boring: The dark, ultra-violet corridor that turned your clothes a bit mental.

I don't remember the Coca-Cola slide at all. I'm a bit weirded out by that. I know it was there, it was the main attraction for kids of my age but I just can't picture it.

Oh wait, was it the one that started off perfectly vertical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Yup. Seriously vertical. I remember getting the person sitting on top to push me the first few times. :D It was a sheer drop! Brilliant place. Straight through the obstacle place... toward the ball pit, throwing those hanging guys in peoples faces, smash about the bouncy castle like a lunatic before going for the big rush of the two big slides. Slushy after. I think that was more or less the routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

The cheesiest 90's tunes playing over the loudspeaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The burned out Mini on the other side of the car park...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

A google search would give you the impression that its still open, offering contact numbers and location. Been closed for at least 10 years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is Monkey Business the same idea, or is it only for small kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Love the diagram, the place where you buy the slush puppies actually made me laugh out loud.

There used to be a cage with massive exercise balls where the ??? is on the diagram. Vividly remember bouncing the little brother about four feet into the air with one of those balls. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I climbed UP the Coco Cola slide one morning. So proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Is Monkey Business the same idea, or is it only for small kids?

Exactly the same idea - good spot for under 12(ishes?)

trish23 wrote: »
    Exactly the same idea - good spot for under 12(ishes?)

Not as good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

peterpanpic.jpg

Was the snake slide not behind you and above to the right as you peered down nervously at the Coca Cola slide?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Oh man, nostalgia!

My main of memory of the place is when I went as a wee Kickoutthejams. My eldest brother and cousins were going mad on the Coca Cola slide and I was determined not to be left out. Got to the top, took a look down and panicked, ran down the steps. It seemed so very tall.
    I'm fairly sure there was some attendant there at the top who probably got very annoyed with my endless trips to the top of the slide and chickening out.
    I spent the rest of the day in that hideyhole near the Coke slide or hogging the car-wash.

Despite the constant smell of feet, that place was class.

Gorilla Games was also pretty cool, I was a dab hand at the balancing-surf board so I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I never forget when I destroyed my elbows in the yellow slide or the snake slide, can't remember which one. Free ice-cream for mars bar! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I never actually went to Gorilla Games... possibly should've.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I've one memory of Peter Pan Fun World, was there when I was 4 for my cousins birthday, ended up pissing my pants on the net bridge and balling my eyes out :o

donmeister wrote: »
    I've one memory of Peter Pan Fun World, was there when I was 4 for my cousins birthday, ended up pissing my pants on the net bridge and balling my eyes out :o

I remember being in Peter Pan Fun World one day down by the net bridge and slipping on what I thought was a spilled slush puppy and cracking my head open on the unforgiving padded floor.

Guess it wasn't slush puppy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I also remember going for a school tour in 2nd class and when we got on the bus to go home, we realised we were missing one of our girls! She was just having too much fun in there...

mars bar wrote: »
    I also remember going for a school tour in 2nd class and when we got on the bus to go home, we realised we were missing one of our girls! She was just having too much fun in there...

She is sadly missed?

It was very easy to lose track of time in there though alright. You could stay all day and not get bored.

She probably works in the Eye now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Jesus i brought some of my kids there, i feel old when you're all reminiscing about being on the slides.

Advertisement