Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgia Thread: Peter Pan Fun World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Let's be honest. If somebody set something like this up nowadays for us of the child-like mind they would make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Let's be honest. If somebody set something like this up nowadays for us of the child-like mind they would make a fortune.

But the insurance would be a bitch. Insurance has ruined this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

And since we're all grown up, we'd need some sort of super-adult to mind us at the top.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    And since we're all grown up, we'd need some sort of super-adult to mind us at the top.

And bigger slides. If a few of us go stuck in the snake slide, it wouldn't be much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

mars bar wrote: »
    But the insurance would be a bitch. Insurance has ruined this world country

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ah, had many great school tours there as a young'un.

Remember the last time I was there I went on the Coca-Cola slide and right as I slid down, the girl (there was always a bored teenage girl sitting at the top) said, "Hold on to the top before you slide down!". I freaked and grabbed the top without thinking and half my body dangled down the slide. Must have stretched myself about three inches!

Was balling of course, but got loads of free slush puppies as a result! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

That was the best place ever! Did I imagine it or were there things like giant turntables you could spin around on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That was the best place ever! Did I imagine it or were there things like giant turntables you could spin around on?

Yeah you stood/sat on them and spun. They were wobbly! In the same part of the building as the coca-cola slide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

???

Been doing some thinking and in the ??? area you entered on the right into a long netted off area where there were various bouncy balls of all sizes ( that look like those big AB Balls you get in Gyms ) that you could throw at anybody etc then you took a left into a blackened area that had dayglo and nightglo objects and obstacles ( like the UV Lights etc in Bowling alleys, you know they make white seem purple etc ) and once thru there and over the objects I believe it was another object area/run before exiting either to the Bouncy Castle or Slush Puppy Area.

Manys a birthday I had there, Fecking excellent times!!!

I remember being maybe 15 or 16 and I tried to get in but was told I was too old....Then the week after it happening I see a flyer in a paper saying up to 16 Years welcome, something like that anyway. :o

Steyr wrote: »
    ???

Been doing some thinking and in the ??? area you entered on the right into a long netted off area where there were various bouncy balls of all sizes ( that look like those big AB Balls you get in Gyms ) that you could throw at anybody etc then you took a left into a blackened area that had dayglo and nightglo objects and obstacles ( like the UV Lights etc in Bowling alleys, you know they make white seem purple etc ) and once thru there and over the objects I believe it was another object area/run before exiting either to the Bouncy Castle or Slush Puppy Area.

Manys a birthday I had there, Fecking excellent times!!!

I remember being maybe 15 or 16 and I tried to get in but was told I was too old....Then the week after it happening I see a flyer in a paper saying up to 16 Years welcome, something like that anyway. :o

And there was that big round thing in the area with the AB balls that spins and the second you got on it, you were on your arse again. And if you were still sitting pretty on top of it, it was because you weren't going anywhere! :D

It lead you to the smaller ball area with the yellow slide...

• Advertisement

This thread deserves a sticky...

Speaking of the snake slide, I never got a chance to go down it. Was scared sh*tless of the dark. Thought I might get stuck in the slide and never get out!

I remember my cousin once tried to push me down in front of her. I started screaming hysterically. Must have been heard all the way over by the Slush Puppies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Apparently there was one in Limerick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

136879.jpg

Wasn't that a Coca-Cola bouncing castle? I thought Coca-Cola had the place rigged with sponsorship.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Coca-Cola Slide? There's nothing remotely like it on Google Images, although a search for "vertical slide" found me this. Reminds me a lot of the view from the top:

oakwood21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Playing cops and robbers in Hookland was so good. The jail in the bottom corner, where you had to go when you were caught, but whether you stayed there or not was dependent on the strength/presence of the jailers. I remember going down the Coca Cola slide and hitting my head. I went to tell my mother, but when I felt the bump on the back of my head, I knew she'd make me go home - It was the size of a tennis ball - so I kept my mouth shut and just avoided the slide for the rest of the day.

Probably my favourite place ever. Mostly because my mother hated when parties were put on there. She was afraid of me sliding into other children's puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

This thread is truly beautiful!
    I'm 16 and everyday you went was a new mate to be made lol
    Used to just walk up to someone look in awe at the big kids going down the coca cola slide, then trying to bury ourselves in the ball pit and screaming the place down for a mixed slushie instead of just Blue or Red LOL, then running off with your new mate only to find he had to go :( sad times :P
    Does NO ONE have pics of that place??? It sucks B*lls it closed down though, when i found out i think i cried actually lol
    Not only that but even after a billion visits to it, i managed to go on the coca cola slide this many times
    0!! I hate myself for it lol:p
    edit:
    Quick Facebook search got these:p Join!!
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=332695196541#!/group.php?gid=332695196541
    and
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yep-i-scalded-my-arse-on-the-coca-cola-slide/169156379776100?v=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

This thread is truly beautiful!
    I'm 16 and everyday you went was a new mate to be made lol
    Used to just walk up to someone look in awe at the big kids going down the coca cola slide, then trying to bury ourselves in the ball pit and screaming the place down for a mixed slushie instead of just Blue or Red LOL, then running off with your new mate only to find he had to go :( sad times :P
    Does NO ONE have pics of that place??? It sucks B*lls it closed down though, when i found out i think i cried actually lol
    Not only that but even after a billion visits to it, i managed to go on the coca cola slide this many times
    0!! I hate myself for it lol:p
    edit:
    Quick Facebook search got these:p Join!!
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=332695196541#!/group.php?gid=332695196541
    and
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yep-i-scalded-my-arse-on-the-coca-cola-slide/169156379776100?v=wall

I never went down it either! :( And I wouldn't go down the snake slide without my brother, because I was afraid of the ten and eleven year olds who'd wait in the middle!
    My favourite part of it was the rope bridges I think, it's a shame I have so few memories of this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm sure ive loads of photos of the place at home, i'll have a look next time i;m down

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Sucks don't it Pirate :(:(
    Ah well having a few memories of it is good :D
    And yay do try fish some out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

Bump!

God, this was the best place EVER! Reading all the posts made me cry lol
    Anyone have any pictures?
    I think I did the coke slide once and bumped my head and NEVER did it again.
    Remember supermacs upstairs? I think that is still there! Mad craic
    An adult version would be so cool

This is the best thread on boards without a doubt :D

• Advertisement

Surely somebody must have photos somewhere!

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    Remember supermacs upstairs? I think that is still there! Mad craic

Ah, Supermac's upstairs was a poor man's Peter Pan, in fairness.
    An adult version would be so cool

I've always said that would be a good business venture: a Peter Pan-like funworld place for adults. The idea that only kids could be entertained by bouncy castles, inflatable slides, ball-pits, etc. is madness. I'd love if there was such a place. It would be great for team building, work outings, class parties, all that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've always said that would be a good business venture: a Peter Pan-like funworld place for adults. The idea that only kids could be entertained by bouncy castles, inflatable slides, ball-pits, etc. is madness. I'd love if there was such a place. It would be great for team building, work outings, class parties, all that! :)

There kind of was an adult version, called Gorilla Games out where Pure Skill is now in Knocknacarra. I used to go there quite a lot, it was fun but no where near as good as Peter Pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I remember we used to wake our dad up every Sunday morning to bring us to Peter Pan. It might work once a month and it was the best thing ever. My memories of the place are vague but I remember thinking the Hook area was really cool, climbing on ropes and putting people in jail. I cannot believe there are no surviving photos. I also cannot believe it was in Wellpark, amazing how little sense of geography you have when you're a kid. I always thought it was outside town somewhere, like Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Must have look for photos next time I am home. I am pretty sure most Peter Pan pics are of my friends or brothers at parties. face literally the colour of tomatoes from running around. I remember the distinct smell of kid-sweat, and there was always someone bawling crying for some reason. You had to be hardcore when it came to Hookworld, or you were out.

I remember staff used to polish the inside of the schnake slide with Pledge so you'd 'go faster', but also remember how sore the 'seams' of the slide were when you caught your wrist or arms on them..like the one in the pool in Leisureland.

I do remember one time I was there and they closed the big ballpond cos a kid who had been taken out of their wheelchair weed in the pond :( I was gutted, like they'd stolen my fun day out, but the kid was in a wheelchair, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Apparently the coke slide is a "freefall" slide. But it seems that coca cola have managed to distance themselves from ever sponsoring such a legal nightmare by erasing all traces of it from the internet.

Got a wicked burn on it once, wearing shorts. Deadly fun though. The one in Westport House always gave you a bang on the way down, because the seat at the top was out a bit from the actual slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So many good memories. I don't think I ever had the balls to do the coca cola slide... My memories of the layout are vague. I remember the rope bridges and the pepsi bouncy castle and a strange room that had loads of bendy bars extending from the floor to the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Dragging this up from the dead again :p I think of this thread every so often and drop back to see if there're any updates. Surely someone must have pictures!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ill be home for xmas and know we have some; problem is they have tonnes of kids in them which may not appreciate their mugs online!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Bitbuzz (free wifi) have an mobile phone app with a map that tells you where their hotspots are. Peter Pan funworld comes up on the map in wellpark, its made it to the digital generation :)

Advertisement