Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter here next summer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Seems like a good set up,

Hopefully the LOI XI form part of it every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Inter and an Airtricity League XI will take part

128763625196432494.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

We saw during the summer that a LOI XI does'nt work. Throwing a group of players together for the first time and expecting them to perform against the likes of Man Utd or Inter is a pretty big ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Seems like a good set up,

Hopefully the LOI XI form part of it every year.

I think a Dublin club would be a better idea myself - one in Europe. League selects are a waste of time.

The old Carlsberg tournament had the league champions. Much better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Or the FAI could enter Limerick as an apology for screwing them over the Barcalona friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Not this airtricity selection ****e again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the thing was to go ahead, it would be better to have the LOI champions playing and not a hastily arranged XI.

FAI shouldn't be hoovering up the big names for friendlies - it reduces the chances of clubs getting big friendlies for themselves in favour of making up the numbers in a tournament like this.

If a LOI club is going to get a chasing from a big foreign club (who is competing with LOI clubs for supporters here), it may as well be financially beneficial to the LOI clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think a Dublin club would be a better idea myself - one in Europe. League selects are a waste of time.

The old Carlsberg tournament had the league champions. Much better idea.

Yeah, the League Champions would be a better idea, especially if it is going to have a financial gain.

I did mean in my initial post that the LOI involvement will continue after the first one, hopefully it won't be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

stovelid wrote: »
    If the thing was to go ahead, it would be better to have the LOI champions playing and not a hastily arranged XI.

I agree, but I think it should be the cup champions. They showed yesterday the difference in class. :cool:

Or the FAI could enter Limerick as an apology for screwing them over the Barcalona friendly.

Spare me. Limerick signed up to the rule book like all other clubs.

In plain black and white its says you cannot put a friendly on the same day as other league fixtures and only Endemol can be used as agents.

Other clubs get big names over all the time because they do it properly.

• Advertisement

bohsboy wrote: »
    I agree, but I think it should be the cup champions. They showed yesterday the difference in class. :cool:
    Yeah, theyve beaten us twice in their last TEN attempts. :rolleyes:

Definitely should be a real LOI club in this, not this selection nonsense

bohsboy wrote: »

It's OK to discuss League of Ireland without always getting bitter about losing the league.

Relax, lad. Its over. In more ways than one.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Not this airtricity selection ****e again

Problem is the minnow clubs whine about favouritism, especially when there is a fee involved. So its politically easier for the FAI to do a select and divide the fee in 22 rather than pick the champions and let them have the day as a warm up for the CL qualifier.

Bear in mind a certain rural club, lets call them ShortBridge, DEMANDED that the FAI make Rovers share the Real Madrid money with all other league clubs. Thats the culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

stovelid wrote: »
    It's OK to discuss League of Ireland without always getting bitter about losing the league.

Relax, lad. Its over. In more ways than one.

Bitter? :D

Not at all son, not at all. Enjoy it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

The Irish Times also mentioned that Inter will play a friendly in either Turners cross or Thomond Park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rovers cant play it and prolly wont have any players in it dependng on group stages off the CL :pac:

A team would give a better account than a bunch of players drafted in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hurrah. Another farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh dear...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

LOI Selection team is a joke. They have no hope and will just be tonked. An actual side, i.e. one of the two Rovers should be in there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jesus lads, stop whinging and bickering about ffs. yes the loi team got well beaten last time, but that was a united team after playing a shed load of friendlies who went out and beat chelsea fairly easily 4 days later. hopefully this tournament will not clash with potential euro nights and will allow the best 20 players from the league to play. they will learn from the last time and i expect them to do alot better. if this was played early july it would be good, though thats potential Rd1 qualfers time.

the easiest answer to having the champions/cup holders playing is to ensure that say shamrock rovers and sligo make up a huge portion of the team as well as the bohs players, who may be playing elsewhere anyway.

however, the main reason i would think they didnt pick the LOI champions or cup winners is that more than likely they will be playing euro games at the time.

it is worth 10-15 million to the FAI hopefully some of which will be put back into the grassroots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

While I think this deal is a great one I also would like to see how it works against teams individual friendlies. Presumably the whole Barcagate of last summer will come up again should a team get such a prestigious friendly arranged The FAI will not want another team over shadowing their deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jesus lads, stop whinging and bickering about ffs. yes the loi team got well beaten last time, but that was a united team after playing a shed load of friendlies who went out and beat chelsea fairly easily 4 days later. hopefully this tournament will not clash with potential euro nights and will allow the best 20 players from the league to play. they will learn from the last time and i expect them to do alot better. if this was played early july it would be good, though thats potential Rd1 qualfers time.

the easiest answer to having the champions/cup holders playing is to ensure that say shamrock rovers and sligo make up a huge portion of the team as well as the bohs players, who may be playing elsewhere anyway.

however, the main reason i would think they didnt pick the LOI champions or cup winners is that more than likely they will be playing euro games at the time.

it is worth 10-15 million to the FAI hopefully some of which will be put back into the grassroots.
    Best time, imo, would be a weekend - as it will be a two day tournement I assume. So run it like the Emerites Cup, held on the Bank Holiday weekend. Play it Saturday/Sunday. That would avoid European qualifiers, but would effect the LoI schedule.

Best time, imo, would be a weekend - as it will be a two day tournement I assume. So run it like the Emerites Cup, held on the Bank Holiday weekend. Play it Saturday/Sunday. That would avoid European qualifiers, but would effect the LoI schedule.
    It would be against the FAIs own rules to have it affect the LOI schedule, so it would have to be midweek. This rules out the participation of anyone still in Europe, e.g. the best players in the country. Its a ridiculous idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Considering another Italian club recently played their reserves in a CL qualifier here you'd have to wonder how seriously Inter will take this event in terms of on-pitch star power and effort.

Still, that won't matter to 'event' hungry plebs who turn out for this sort of rubbish time after time. Set your own price FAI....

You could also see it as the FAI muscling in a source of revenue that is usually the province of the clubs.

bonerm wrote: »
    Considering another Italian club recently played their reserves in a CL qualifier here you'd have to wonder how seriously Inter will take this event in terms of on-pitch star power and effort.
    Who was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

CiaranC wrote: »
    Who was that?

Juve if I'm not mistaken?

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    Juve if I'm not mistaken?

It was the Europa league, wasn't a qualifying round and was very much their strongest side. I don't think thats who he is talking about

• Advertisement

This wont last 3 years and will end out costing the FAI. They tried this before and it started out alright but died on its arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

It was the Europa league, wasn't a qualifying round and was very much their strongest side. I don't think thats who he is talking about

Couldn't think of anyone else, I'm curious now.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This wont last 3 years and will end out costing the FAI. They tried this before and it started out alright but died on its arse.

Endemol are involved here and the calibre of club being discussed is far higher,

I remember Celtic, Newcastle, PSV and Derry

They are talking here about Inter, Barca, Man U and LoI XI.

Direct rival to the Emirates Tournament from the sounds of it.

Endemol are involved here and the calibre of club being discussed is far higher,

I remember Celtic, Newcastle, PSV and Derry

They are talking here about Inter, Barca, Man U and LoI XI.

Direct rival to the Emirates Tournament from the sounds of it.

Lazio and Pool,Villa,Leeds us and some other dublin team name escapes me. Started well in 1st year around 40k then 30k then 20k then cancelled.

Dont see this being any different. Unless an actual LOI club was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Lazio and Pool,Villa,Leeds us and some other dublin team name escapes me. Started well in 1st year around 40k then 30k then 20k then cancelled.

Dont see this being any different. Unless an actual LOI club was in it.

If they can get Liverpool, or United yearly i reckon it would do very well. They won't get that yearly though. It will be the prem side that decides the fate of this imo. Needs to be one with a big irish following. Celtic would also be a big pull.

For instance, if they got United, Inter, Celtic and Shamrock Rovers for this coming one - it would sell out imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Spare me. Limerick signed up to the rule book like all other clubs.

In plain black and white its says you cannot put a friendly on the same day as other league fixtures and only Endemol can be used as agents.

Other clubs get big names over all the time because they do it properly.

How did Shams get away with using Platnium One so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

How did Shams get away with using Platnium One so?

The Endemol deal is only for stadiums that hold at least 15,000 people.

Advertisement