Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admin Password Management

Options
  • 15-11-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

What do you use for managing your admin passwords?

By managing I mean keeping a list somewhere or something like that.

I want to implement some sort of secured centralised location but am not sure of the best way to go about it. An encrypted excel file maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dont keep them online.

Put them in a big ass safe or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

if you must keep them on an online system..

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Im not too bothered about them being online or anything. I am just wondering how other places do it when a number of people need password access or in case I get run over by a car and others need to get the passwords and also so passwords are not forgotten etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

In a sealed envelope in a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Depends on your security requirements.

One example: Two books. One red, one blue (colours may be changed). One has the passwords, the other the account names. Different people "own" the books. Never keep the books together.

To make it even more secure: Page one entry one in book red does not correspond to the same page/entry of book blue. Use a simple formula that everybody can remember but is a pain in the back to guess :)

Want even more security? Add a third book. We used that in the military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I am planning on moving from an evil "passworded" excel document to a KeePass shared DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

KeePass Password Safe

+ Physical Safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

when worked in the hosting industry we used EzeeLogin tho it is only really of use when using linux servers as it actually logs you in to the server with whatever rights you should have, and provides full logging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnallen

Have had them on paper in safes anywhere I have worked, we had an in-house developed secure password system on a server (and a stand-by) with all of our customer root passwords etc. When we couldn't reach the U.S. data center due to a network issue we had no passwords for UK/Irish customers. If they are important passwords that cannot be reset while the server is in production you have to have them on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think KeePass Password Safe + Physical Safe is the route I will take then.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement