Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Effect of part-time work on Jobseekers Allowance?

• 15-11-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have been claiming Jobseekers Allowance for about 6-7 weeks and have recently been informed I might have the opportunity to give maths grinds to some local students. This is likely to be a few hours per week, 3 max I imagine. I'm unsure of the rate yet, possibly around €30 an hour. How will this affect my dole? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

IF its selfemployed work it will be deducted from your dole.If its prsi work you will loose a days dole for every day you work.The best option to do all your work in one day if thats possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 manannan

Thanks for the quick reply. It will be PRSI work. Does the hourly rate matter or is it just a case of 'work is work'?

Than that will be taken as a days work no matter how many hours,is a days dole lost.it is a stupid system because a lot of people dont bother as they are better off not working part time.thanks government .

So if it's prsi based it doesn't matter if you get €5/hr or €50/hr?

Yes well of coarse if you can earn more than 196 euro dole per 3days or 24hours of work than social welfare will want to cut you off.If on the other you do two hours work =60euro in one day .you will lose thirty odd euro dole for one day.check this out.Social welfare .ie

• Advertisement

There is a chance I might get some lecturing hours, maybe 3 a week every few weeks. The rate is €55/hr and they would be on the same day so I would be looking at €165 on that day. Would I still only lose a days dole in that case? Thanks for your advice!

best to check it out give them a ring i am no expert but i think you should be ok .it sounds like a good rate .

Thanks for your help with this! Have you personal experience of it?

Yes we got means tested and the welfare officer explained the ins and outs to us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

With Jobseeker's Allowance, and working casually, they work out your average means for every day you work. Then for every day you work that amount is deducted from your payment.
    So if they have calculated your means as 10 euro a day, and you work 3 days, and your full rate is 196, then you receive 166 euro that week. You still have to be unemployed for at least 3 days out of the week though to receive any payment.

• Advertisement

When you say "they work out your average means for every day you work" do they ask exactly what you are being paid?

Yes. All income is assessed as means so they need to know what you get paid.

My full rate is €196 and for a days work (once a week every few weeks) I will be looking at ~€150. For that week then I should get €46?

Not necessarily.
    Have a look at this link: http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/work-and-jobseekers-allowance/
    There are disregards, so its not assessed on a euro per euro basis.

Thanks Carol, that clarifies things somewhat. I really appreciate everyones help!

Advertisement