Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sea fishing in galway city.

Options
  • 15-11-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

im new to galway city and have just moved here since September for education. im an experienced angler and was just wondering if anyone could part with any spots in the city as i dont really have much transport i think salthill is the furthest ill go. usuallly my main quarry is conger eels, but i dont eat them or any fish, purely sport so dont worry about me leaving with a bin bag of fish from your local. any advice would be appreciated.

please reply in personal message if you dont wish to post spots in public. my local spot (rock marks of fanore, clare) has been destroyed by crowds in recent years so i wont blab about any info recieved as i have witnessed crowd effects first hand. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

buggabites wrote: »
    im new to galway city and have just moved here since September for education. im an experienced angler and was just wondering if anyone could part with any spots in the city as i dont really have much transport i think salthill is the furthest ill go. usuallly my main quarry is conger eels, but i dont eat them or any fish, purely sport so dont worry about me leaving with a bin bag of fish from your local. any advice would be appreciated.

please reply in personal message if you dont wish to post spots in public. my local spot (rock marks of fanore, clare) has been destroyed by crowds in recent years so i wont blab about any info recieved as i have witnessed crowd effects first hand. thanks.

if its conger eels your after, the best place is the slipway opposite the waterfront hotel(salthill) at low tide, fish along the rocks to the left of the slip and off the end of the slip at low water, through the summer months conger up to 15lbs can be got here, through the winter months they are a lot scarcer.
    if you wants any other fish post up a question.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buggabites

thats great advice thanks. what do you reckon about the docks or is it even allowed? ill give that spot in salthill a try for sure good to know. is there much of a fishing community up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mga1761

The docks area certainly used to hold conger, although I haven't heard of anyone fishing it in a while. I'm not sure what the story is regarding fishing restrictions there.

The Galway Bay Sea Angling Club is fairly active, with competitions throughout the year and regular informal fishing sessions between many of its members. Rock marks and beaches are fished up and down the coast.

Joining the club would be a good way to meet other anglers and learn new marks. If you need any contact details, let me know!

Welcome to Galway and enjoy the fishing :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buggabites

massive thanks for the advice guys, very helpful. just one more thing, as i have acquired the use of a car once or twice a month and have heard theres some decent conger fishing from the harbour in rossaveal? any reports or knowledge to solidify this info? also is dropnet required etc..

Advertisement