Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push up challenge

• 15-11-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Robbed this idea from the guys hosting the MarathonTalk podcasts (if you haven't already I'd recommend downloading these).

Rules
    - So the goal is to get to 3 x 100 push ups :eek:
    - You start off with 3x1 on day 1, then 3x2 on day 2 and so on.
    - Days off are ok and I'd imagine will be needed when you get up to >3x15.
    - The 3 sets are done in the same session...in other words, you can't do one set in the morning, one at lunch and one in the evening.
    - Take as much rest as you like between sets. Be reasonable though....a few mins maybe.

Tip:
    "Get the technique as strict as possible in the early stages, nice and slow and all the way up and down. You need to find as much training benefit as possible in the 'easy' early stages. As long as you do all three sets in the same 'session' feel free to take as much rest as you like between sets... - TW"

I'm up to 3x9 myself. I was thinking maybe we could do this along the lines of the 1000 mile challenge? We could start it in the new year? or maybe not.

Or, you could simply start it yourself or with your mates in work (for example). I'm doing that and there is a bit of banter with some of the lads dropping off and missing days etc. Its a good motivator.

Maybe there are people giving it a lash....if so how are you going?

This thread could drift away like a bad fart but meh,....its Monday and I'm bored.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Tunney will be well up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I can probably do that straightaway in girlie press-ups - does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

RoyMcC wrote: »

only if you strap 20lbs to your chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

how long in between sets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

RoyMcC wrote: »

Nope, all push ups have to be done planche style :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LupeBrown

Sounds Decent, count me in. I'll start on Wednesday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Im not really clear about the instructions man, is it you have to knock out 100 pushups. Rest for a minute or 2, then another 100, rest then another 100. Is that what youre talking about? Bloody hard if it is. As it stands I can do one set of 50, then 2 sets of 30, then Im wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Saw this in your log last night started myself however got a bit ahead of myself and started with 3x20 and gonna build one rep per set per day so today will attempt 21 dunno if this is cheating?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The 3 sets are done in the same session...in other words, you can't do one set in the morning, one at lunch and one in the evening.

No, I think you can, that's what the 3x is. 15 in the morning, 15 at lunch, 15 in the evening. You can't take a break in a set of 15, but there are breaks in between each set. Otherwise you might as well call it a 300 press-up challenge.
    (Plus, isn't their plan to do 3x100 at the Comrades ultra? 100 at the start, 100 in the middle, 100 at the end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

I'd be willing to give this a try. It's going to be tough though, I've never done any weights or anything.

I was also wondering how long between each set?

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    how long in between sets?

tunguska wrote: »
    Im not really clear about the instructions man, is it you have to knock out 100 pushups. Rest for a minute or 2, then another 100, rest then another 100. Is that what youre talking about? Bloody hard if it is. As it stands I can do one set of 50, then 2 sets of 30, then Im wasted.

Thats it yeah, rest for a couple of minutes but I'm not sure now after reading Raycun's post :confused:. I'll recheck that. Thats good going 50/30/30,
    Its hard alright. The idea is to concentrate on form at the early days. Get it right. 3x1, 3x2 etc is dead easy but make sure to do them right and slow.
    LupeBrown wrote: »
    Sounds Decent, count me in. I'll start on Wednesday:)
    Thats the spirit, no time like a Wednesday ;)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Saw this in your log last night started myself however got a bit ahead of myself and started with 3x20 and gonna build one rep per set per day so today will attempt 21 dunno if this is cheating?:p
    Its all good, will be interesting to see how you get on starting at that level.
    RayCun wrote: »
    No, I think you can, that's what the 3x is. 15 in the morning, 15 at lunch, 15 in the evening. You can't take a break in a set of 15, but there are breaks in between each set. Otherwise you might as well call it a 300 press-up challenge.
    (Plus, isn't their plan to do 3x100 at the Comrades ultra? 100 at the start, 100 in the middle, 100 at the end)

Thats right they are doing that in the comrades. As mentioned, I'll check the 3x100 thing.

I checked marathon talk facebook there. They have to be in the same session. Quote from Tom Williams:
    "Get the technique as strict as possible in the early stages, nice and slow and all the way up and down. You need to find as much training benefit as possible in the 'easy' early stages. As long as you do all three sets in the same 'session' feel free to take as much rest as you like between sets... - TW"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

ìl do this aswel lads......when will we start it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Would a one legged squat challenge be more suitable for runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

im in, are we all starting together?
    will we start at 1 or go straight to 5 or 10 or ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

SUNGOD wrote: »
    im in, are we all starting together?
    will we start at 1 or go straight to 5 or 10 or ?

Starting at one is going to be pretty boring for at least a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

I'm starting at one, tonight. :)

im starting at 5 tonight :)

increasing a only one push up a night seems easy.....being able to do 300 push ups with just 3 months training seems really hard and a big challenge...id imagine that the last week of the challenge would be really tough on the arms....we wont even have a taper for the final goal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

This would take an obscene amount of effort.
    I think it would mess with my training too much so just gonna start on 3x25 and try to make it to 3x50.

Anyone that can do 3x100 is an absolute BEAST. fair fcuking play!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm willing to give this a try. Proper push ups not those stupid girlie ones. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What are the benefits of doing press-ups? Is it a good general core workout?
    Would you be better off going for a more rounded program, than 300 press-ups in a session?

I'm very lazy about core work, so need some kind of a challenge, but don't want arms like Popeye if it's not going to benefit my running (do I have to eat spinach?).

are we going to have a max time limit between sets......id imagine you would need more than a couple of minute to recover from your second 100 push up set!!!!

how about fifth of your push up number as the max number of minutes rest you are allowed?????
    ie 50 push ups would give a max of 10 min break, 100 would have a max of 20 min break
    what do ye think??? or would 1/4 or a 1/6th be better?

Right lads gonna get the table going

Name|Last effort|rest between sets|This effort|Rest|Effort completed?
    ecoli|3x20|1 min|3x21|1 min| Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Man what have you started here.........This'll get out of control in no time, there'll be lads doing push ups in the middle of the canteen on their lunch breaks. Feck it, count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Im in :D
    3x1

tunguska wrote: »
    Man what have you started here.........This'll get out of control in no time, there'll be lads doing push ups in the middle of the canteen on their lunch breaks. Feck it, count me in.

Last year i got roped into a game of if you said the word MINE regardless of context you had to do 10 push ups there and then no matter where you were. Lets just say canteens and that were normal places compared to some of the places i got caught out including shops restaurants and bars was quite funny though thank god the game fizzled out:D

bart simpson|n/a|1 min|3x5|1 min| Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo|n/a|1 min|3x20|1 min| Yes

Christ, that was hard! Struggled through the last few, about a year ago when I was still going to the gym, I could do 50 straight no problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

menoscemo|n/a|1 min|3x20|1 min| Yes
    decisions | n/a |n/a|3x1|30 sec|Yes|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Chest to the floor or it doesn't count.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3190_proper-push-up.html

Advertisement