Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electro Metal On Reason

Options
  • 15-11-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello.

Was wondering if anyone here had any good tips for making metal-style or electro-metal songs on Reason 3?

It's not for anything in particular, but I've been trying to get a decent guitar sound with little success, and muted notes seem to be impossible (I'm looking for that metal "chug" sound if possible).

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You being a likely metal head with a vast collection of metal recordings

My suggestion would be, find a recording with the chug chugs on it. Sample it and use it. I haven't used reason, but I would assume the sample lets you do lots of things like time correct and pitching.

Sample a lot of different chug chugs and reuse them. No one is going to know you didn't create them - the original guitarist probably wouldn't be able to pick out their own from the hundreds of identical sounding chug chugs on other recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

krd wrote: »
    You being a likely metal head with a vast collection of metal recordings

My suggestion would be, find a recording with the chug chugs on it. Sample it and use it. I haven't used reason, but I would assume the sample lets you do lots of things like time correct and pitching.

You can't timestretch with reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You can't timestretch with reason.

Not much of a sampler then.

With Ableton it's as literally as easy as copying and pasting text. It's nearly too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RickBockwinkle

Thanks for the info guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

krd wrote: »
    Not much of a sampler then.

With Ableton it's as literally as easy as copying and pasting text. It's nearly too easy.

Ableton is the business, i use it for all my "metal" recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

+1 on the Ableton.

Power chords are where it's at for this sort of stuff as well. (That's the root note and the fifth). You need chords. You could probably emulate the chug sound effect with a low pass filter and a bit of tweaking as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Get something like Camelcrusher (it's free), really nice overdrive VST.

You can probably get a guitar plucky kind of chug sound by messing with the ADSR too.

Advertisement