If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget blu-ray player recommendation?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi to all in Richer Sounds,

I'm looking to purchase a blu-ray player, what would you recommend?

My criteria:
    - Maximum spend €150
    - Required for this weekend (can collect at Dublin Philips store if required!)

I had read some time ago good things about the Sony BDP-S360, is this still the front runner in this price range?

Thanks,
    Zilog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Zilog

I have just received in the cool little BDP3100 Blu-Ray Player

This is it below....

BDP3100_05-IMS-global?wid=430&hei=430&$jpglarge$
    It sells for €149.99 so is bang on budget:)

Its a BD-Live/Profile 2 Blu Ray player that will output DD TrueHD and DTS MasterAudio via HDMI to a suitable AV amp/receiver.

Its also DivX Ultra compatible and has a USB input on the front panel for USB Flashdrives (the USB on the back is for 1 GB USB sticks for BD-Live content)

Its will naturally upscale DVD to 1080p and output BR's at 1080p/24fps

all in all it does pretty much everything you need from a BR player.
    I should mention that it's not a 3D ready player (that will be the step up BDP5180 @ €199.99)

Have a look here for full spec

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp3100_05/bdp3100_05_pss_eng.pdf

I only have a couple remaining so if you'd like it let me know and I'll reserve it up for you and you can collect from me - The Philips Shop anytime

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the quick response!

3D is not an issue, so no problems there!

Doing a bit of reading in the meantime, what is your opinion of the Philips vs the current Sony BDP-S370, which seems to be getting good reviews and is in a similar price band? The Sony seems to have a few nice extras too - plays MKV's as well as DivX, there is an iPhone remote app, YouTube player - which the Philips does not have.
    From reading the Philips feature list and the Sony's, and the Sony's reviews, the Sony appears to have the upper hand. I realise in use this may not be the case!!

Thanks for your help,
    Zilog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Zilog

I have the BDP3100 partnered up with the 40PFL7605H (makes a nice combo this) and it certainly produces an excellent image.

I've tried it with a variety of BluRay films and I'd say it will look great with most TV's its plugged into

It is DivX Ultra compatiable but makes no mention of MKV files i'm afraid.

Regarding the Sony player I had a look on Richer Sounds stock system and it looks like they only have the display unit in stock - your best buzzing them on 0044 333 900 0070 and one of the guys will be able to update you on the eta of the next batch they are due to receive.

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the reply, I'll follow up with store.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.