Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Deauville 650 not starting

• 15-11-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

went out this morning on the cold day that it was to start the bike and after a number of tries with and without the lever (cant think of the name of it sorry total mind blank) on the left side.

It will still turn over as i tried it a few times, left it for an hour, tried again a few times and now its barely turning over at all.

Did i flood the engine??

If so what should i do as i don't want to have to get it taken to a bike centre (i am living in cabinteely) to get it fixed and I have zero mecanical skills with bikes?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Battery dead now I'd say, have you got a charger?

As for the choke, try starting it with zero choke. If it doesn't start, add a small bit more, try again etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Battery dead now I'd say, have you got a charger?

As for the choke, try starting it with zero choke. If it doesn't start, add a small bit more, try again etc.
    I have a normal car battery charger will that work?

If all else fails is there someone i can call that can come out and fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sounds like the battery might be on the way out, often there'll be enough power to turn but not enough to start.

A car battery charger should be ok.

It might be flooded, can you smell petrol in the area around it? If not it's more than likely just the battery, the cold weather murders them and a V twin needs a fair amount of punch to get it going.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Transform wrote: »
    I have a normal car battery charger will that work?

If all else fails is there someone i can call that can come out and fix it?

Yeah should be OK, charge it up.

Who are you insured with? They might provide breakdown cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can you push start it in the meantime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Simona1986 wrote: »

I know he's into fitness but that's asking a lot lol.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Irlandski

My advice is to simply connect jump leads from a car to your Deauville battery. + to + and - to -. You may have to lift the Deauville battery up from its case a little to get access with the jump lead clamps.Have a friend assist. Start the car engine and then with full choke and no throttle on the Deauville crank it until it fires. If it doesent fire in about ten seconds then there may be a lack of fuel in the carb. If you pop the tank off and take out the airfilter and pour about half a teaspoon of petrol into each carb. Open the throttle once to allow it to be "swallowed" then repeat the above procedure for starting. If it fires and runs for a few seconds then all is okay except that the carbs are not being replenished with fuel.
    I have a Deauville, the only problem re not stsrting in 47,000 miles was a dicky fuel pump (half way up the Norwiegan coast line :eek: ) They are known for this problem which usually occurs about the 30-40K mile mark. A few sharp taps of a screwdriver handle onto the pump casing can get you out of a hole for another few K (as it did with me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Twin's are notorious for a battery letting go in the cold. I suggest getting a trickle charger like multimate.
    Don't try to recharge a sealed battery using a car charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

bladespin wrote: »
    I know he's into fitness but that's asking a lot lol.

Get a mate (or two) to push while he's on the bike, if it can be done with a car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Simona1986 wrote: »
    i did try that would you believe!!

Going to charge it up today and will report back

Insured with quinn so will check if thats covered with them also

• Advertisement

And if they say they don't do home assist or whatever, only roadside breakdown push it out onto the road then call them ;)

Advertisement