Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children Of Bodom Live at Vicar Street April 05

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

going to this just for Amon Amarth, don't really care about the others... kind of handy for me since i l only live across the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

No real UK date near me, disappointing, I probably won't make the effort given the other gig's I have on at the same time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Bought my ticket, yay. Get to add Bodom to the few bands I've seen twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

le bump

so in advance of this next week, what do folks think of the new albums by Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth. I suppose also anyone looking forward to (or not) the gig in light of the album opinions if that makes any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Amon Amarth's album is sounding really good, been listening to it a bit recently. They're a dependable band, I never expected anything less than a decent sounding album.

Didn't realise Bodom had a new album out. Not really a fan of them and mainly going to this gig for Amon Amarth and Ensiferum. Bodom's first album was great but I never really got into anything after that with the exception of the odd song here and there.

• Advertisement

I've heard the new Bodom album once and it's not quite the car crash I was expecting after recent cheesy offerings.

In advance of the gig I gave a quick listen via streams to the Amon Amarth album and ti was not my cup of tea but I recognise that it's receiving great reviews and a stream over laptop speakers is hardly a proper environment to evaluate an album.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the gig more than I was prior to hearing the 2 albums so that's a good thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I liked Bodom's newest album. Not quite as good as Hatebreeder or Follow The Reaper, but still good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tommy666

children of bodom should be good ive seen them back in 2006 at unholy alliance was great i like children of bodom and cant wait for tuesday :)

yea the unholy alliance gig at the point was sweet. I went with my son, he was there for Children of Bodom and me for In Flames. We both came away loving Lamb of God most of all. We're both looking forward to next Tues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Has anyone here seen Ensiferum before? I'm really looking forward to hearing them live, but considering Bodom and Amon Amarth will be going on after them they will hardly get very much stage time. :( Looking forward to Amon Amarth too, have seen them a couple of times and they have been nothing short of brilliant in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Stage times-

M.S. 6.30 - 7
    ENS 7.15 - 7.55
    AA 8.15 - 9.05
    COB 9.30 - 10.45

About the new albums, the Amon Amarth one is an absolute beast from start to finish. They always deliver, both live and on cd. Will be my third time seeing them and cannot wait!
    The Bodom album is decent, just not my cup of tea anymore. Fifth time seeing them, have never been impressed by their live performances.

There's been no talk of the opening act but I've been giving a listen to some Machinae Supremacy over the last few days and have to say that there's much to like once you get past the textbook punk vocal delivery.

The music is pretty accomplished, themes are interesting (lots of gaming stuff) and this little number from their recent album 'A View From the End of the World' has one of the funniest lines of any chorus I've ever heard.

I give you 'Crouching Camper Hidden Sniper'. I'll sing long with this on Tues if they do it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

God. That was ridiculous. That would be fun live though? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

the new Amon Amarth is excellent and the Bodom one is much better than I was expecting.......so should be class, haven't seen either of the openers, but thought Machinae sounded interesting and Enisferum is something different too........just hoping the body holds up.....been in a bad way the last week.....

God. That was ridiculous. That would be fun live though? :o
    the elitism around here is so cute sometimes

old gregg wrote: »
    the elitism around here is so cute sometimes

Alright then I'll do my best not to enjoy it. Hope this pleases you, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Crap, I'm only really going to this to see Amon Amarth and I completely forgot that they had a new album coming out. Won't get much time to listen to it now...

Hopefully they'll mix it up with new stuff and old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

First listen to the new AA album and have to say I like it, looking forward to this now. Hopefully COB will be decent enough...

Anyone recommend a decent bar to go to afterwards that might be playing metal music? (on a Tuesday could be a big ask I know). Looks like I'll be flying solo so wouldn't mind hitting somewhere where I might bump into people who've been at the gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

rickyjb wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent bar to go to afterwards that might be playing metal music? (on a Tuesday could be a big ask I know). Looks like I'll be flying solo so wouldn't mind hitting somewhere where I might bump into people who've been at the gig...

Fibbers Rock Bar, Ormond Quay is doing an after party for the gig. All Drinks e3.50.

Just around the corner from the gig too.

:)

Yes! Managed to get one of Jaska's sticks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Just got back.
    Couldn't give a **** about COB, Amon Amarth was why I went.
    Ensiferum were a great opener (Didn't see the first group) and AA tore the place down, fantastic show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Missed the openers.
    Ensiferum were ok, all the songs sounded a bit samey though.
    Amon Amarth were great, though the set seemed a bit short......and they left out Death in Fire (which should be a crime!!!)
    COB played the best and tighest of the 5 times I've seen them, but lets be honest, they're running out of steam, fast, with the newer songs.

Passenger wrote: »
    Fibbers Rock Bar, Ormond Quay is doing an after party for the gig. All Drinks e3.50.

Just around the corner from the gig too.

:)

**** sake, and everyone seemed to go to Bruxelles :D

baldshin wrote: »
    Missed the openers.
    Ensiferum were ok, all the songs sounded a bit samey though.
    Amon Amarth were great, though the set seemed a bit short......and they left out Death in Fire (which should be a crime!!!)
    COB played the best and tighest of the 5 times I've seen them, but lets be honest, they're running out of steam, fast, with the newer songs.

You didn't miss much at the start, nobody was really into it and the band had about 5 cubic centimetres to work with on stage. Amon amarth were awesome, especially his vocals the whole thing was so powerful. Children of bodom were really good too, but yeah it slowed down a little with the new songs.

My mate never really got into AA, and even he found it brilliant.
    Ensiferum was ok, only saw the last song which was good, COB couldn't interest me one bit (And it seemed a lot of people left early as well).

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    My mate never really got into AA, and even he found it brilliant.
    Ensiferum was ok, only saw the last song which was good, COB couldn't interest me one bit (And it seemed a lot of people left early as well).

Yeah once cob came on I noticed the seats started to fill up with people wearing Amon amarth shirts and painted faces.

yea I'd go along with other folks on this. Amon Amarth were very good for sure.

I'd been looking forward to hearing CoB again but was a little anxious cos a mate saw them last year and they were apparently too pissed to care. They certainly turned up to play last night and were great. The newer stuff did seem to be lacking something live that I couldn't put a finger on and maybe it's true what badlshin says they are running out of steam.

Enisferim were a little cheesy for my taste. I suppose there's only so much you can do when hitched to the viking wagon.

As for Machinae Supremacy, I only arrived as they were 2 songs to go but what I heard didn't seem to be working too well though I was probably distracted by all the other stuff you get when just arriving at a gig.

Overall, an easy and fun night out and well worth the price and round trip from Waterford. There were moments though when I thought how great it would be to see Meshuggah headlining an evening of Scandanavian metal.

Advertisement