Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help: Dr. Laura letter

• 15-11-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

SOme of you will know of a smart-arse letter written to a Dr Laura about homosexuality, shellfish, and Leviticus etc... There was a smart reply written by somebody, to the smart-arse letter. I can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone help me?

This is a link to the letter, but I am unable to find the response to address, in the same style and tone, the points in this letter:

http://www.yuricareport.com/Parody%20and%20Humor/OpenLetterToDrLaura.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

lol I found it myself. I'll leave this thread here just in case folks are interested.

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/laura.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

lol I found it myself. I'll leave this thread here just in case folks are interested.

Thats an excellent response, well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

Hi,
    Can someone point me in the direction of some of the chapters and verses to which this remark refers?
    But the New Testament confirms that homosexual activity is an abomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

eblistic wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can someone point me in the direction of some of the chapters and verses to which this remark refers?

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

goose2005 wrote: »
    Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

Ah, so God, and not the Greeks, invented gayness then?

• Advertisement

eblistic wrote: »
    Ah, so God, and not the Greeks, invented gayness then?

No. God left them to it. Free will means that we do what we want and then we take the consequences.

I read recently that the punishment of sexual sin is the pleasure we experience.. Yeah - pretty weird, isn't it? Basically, the punishment is the pleasure we enjoy because the pleasure enslaves us to the sin, thus we become Satan's prostitutes. If I've got this wrong, anybody feel free to correct me. I don't know where I heard or read that, but I thought it was most interesting.

I read recently that the punishment of sexual sin is the pleasure we experience. .

So legitimate marital relations shouldn't be any fun?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It took you less than 3 minutes to find it after your first post? I think somebody is acting in an unChristian way here... (it's still wrong to lie, right?)

It took you less than 3 minutes to find it after your first post? I think somebody is acting in an unChristian way here... (it's still wrong to lie, right?)

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.278 He becomes guilty:

- of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;

- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them;279

- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor's thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another's statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.280

bluewolf wrote: »
    So legitimate marital relations shouldn't be any fun?

:pac:
    Nobody said that.

• Advertisement

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.278 He becomes guilty:

- of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;

- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them;279

- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor's thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another's statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.280
    Right, but were you lying when you said you were looking for something and then had found it and posted it in less than 3 minutes?

To be honest, I don't care if you were. It's an issue for you, as a Christian.

Right, but were you lying when you said you were looking for something and then had found it and posted it in less than 3 minutes?

To be honest, I don't care if you were. It's an issue for you, as a Christian.

No, I wasn't. I needed the thing for an urgent purpose. I tried to find it, but couldn't initially, and then I posted here, sure that somebody might have heard of it. But after I'd posted I quickly scoured the internet and then I found it.

Do you believe me now?

(I wish I had you on my shoulder all the time. You'd be a good conscience. =p )

Fair enoughski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

No. God left them to it. Free will means that we do what we want and then we take the consequences.

I read recently that the punishment of sexual sin is the pleasure we experience.. Yeah - pretty weird, isn't it? Basically, the punishment is the pleasure we enjoy because the pleasure enslaves us to the sin, thus we become Satan's prostitutes. If I've got this wrong, anybody feel free to correct me. I don't know where I heard or read that, but I thought it was most interesting.

That's pretty bizarre to be honest.

Saint Faustina writes of her vision of hell in her diary, maybe you got that twisted? See below.

"Today, I was led by an angel to the Chasms of Hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw:
    The First Torture that constitutes hell is:
    The loss of God.
    The Second is:
    Perpetual remorse of conscience.
    The Third is
    That one's condition will never change.
    The Fourth is:
    The fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it. A terrible suffering since it is a purely spiritual fire, lit by God's anger.
    The Fifth Torture is:
    Continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own.
    The Sixth Torture is:
    The constant company of Satan.
    The Seventh Torture is:
    Horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies.
    These are the Tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings.

There are special Tortures destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings related to the manner in which it has sinned.

There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me.

Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like...how terribly souls suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the conversion of sinners. I incessantly plead God's mercy upon them. O My Jesus, I would rather be in agony until the end of the world, amidst the greatest sufferings, than offend you by the least sin." (Diary 741)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

In defence of the OP, the number of times that I've done this myself...

Does Murphy's Law apply to Christians?

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    That's pretty bizarre to be honest.

Saint Faustina writes of her vision of hell in her diary, maybe you got that twisted? See below.

I meant on earth, the pleasure is the punishment. I'm not sure if that is correct thinking of not.

But in hell, the thing is reversed. All the pleasure we experienced on earth will become torment, delivered through the parts of our body we most used to sin. That makes sense, and seems fair enough to me!! Hence, I cringe when I hear those people say 'hell will be great crack'. No it won't, sorry!

Advertisement