Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account payee only cheque

Options
  • 15-11-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I really need some help :confused:

I came home from college today to find a letter address to my ex partner
    The letter was from AXA car insurance and there was a cheque attatched for €68 euro
    in the letter it says that they sent a cheque before and it was never cashed and that changes were made to his account in 2008 and they were giving him a small refund. the cheque has account payee only on it

anways when we broke up i got a letter sent too him by a solictor saying that he is to remove my address and my name from anyting he was associated with and this was sent in 2008, When we spilt up he owed me over €15.000
    as you can probs guess he wasnt a nice man so what i want to know is there anyway i can cash this cheque myself even tho it has account payee only on it because i am not sending it to him because he has me in alot of depth????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It's his chq. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

As Unclebill said. It's his cheque, his money.

You can be dishonest and throw it in the bin. Or you can give it to him, and while doing so ask him to make a contribution to the money he owes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's his letter, you shouldn't have opened it (personally I would have forwarded it to his solicitor).

It's his cheque. You can't cash it. Even if it wasn't account payee only it his cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

It's astonishing how people feel they have the right to open another person's mail.

Do you realise that if you bring that opened letter to your partner's solicitor now that your partner would be capable of launching, at the least, an interference of mail charge against you, and at the most, a theft charge.

Amazing disrespect.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sparky89, you're basically asking whether or not it's ok to commit fraud; of course it's not. It's his cheque. If he owes you that much money, my advice is to talk to a solicitor and see where you stand. An account payee only cheque can only go into the account of the named payee.

Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement