Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking to start mountain biking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

seamus wrote: »
    Just FYI, all MTBs have 26 inch wheels

A new trend is 29'ers, i.e. MTB's with 29 inch wheels...A lot of the big bike makers have at least 3+ models in there ranges..

...could be a good choice for the taller person.. Although the merits of 26" vs.29" would be down to your own research and personal choice... certainly not many if any available at the lower range which the OP is looking at....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

29s are for hippies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I know that this cuts across the great cycling forum tradition of vicariously shopping for toys with other peoples money but how about this for an idea:

1. Book a lesson with http://biking.ie including bike rental to get the basics nailed without busting yourself

2. Hire a bike (hardtail or full sus, a tenner in the difference AFAIK, they will meet you at the trail so you don't have to worry about transporting the bike) for a spin give Ballinastoe a lash, see whether you actually like really mountain biking as opposed to the idea of it, this is where the supply of only used once second hand kit comes from!

3. Go shopping with a much better idea of what you want/need, it will almost certainly be different to what you think you need today!

I would suggest that you leave downhill alone until you get handy at XC, in fairness some of the more entertaining XC trails can feel like downhill to a beginner. The penalty for getting things wrong as a beginner in XC generally involve a few scratches and bruises but normally nothing that will stop you going to work on Monday morning. A good beginner splat in DH, particularly when you don't have the background of learning how to handle smaller falls from XC, tends to involve X-rays and orthopedic surgeons!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well im not a complete beginner in the sense that up to around 5 years ago i used muck around with my bike the whole time (as in going to woods and just roughing it through them :D) nothing proper though, i know il like the sport its just trying to nail down what variation im looking to get into as i can only afford one bike is a bit of a pain :( are xc trails exciting? as in can you ever pick up speed or is it constantly a battle to see how far you can push your stamina (ie jogging) this would be my biggest worry about this particular type of mountain biking.

seamus wrote: »
    My primary concern with this would be your comeback if you have parts failures and the like. Check the seller's rating and their feedback - especially for higher value items. People with established eBay shops tend to be fine.

Just FYI, all MTBs have 26 inch wheels. It's the size of the frame that matters.
    "Medium" is an annoyingly meaningless size as that could be just the right size for your average bloke (5'10" - 6') or it could be a little bit too small.

According to the Mongoose website, a medium is 18", which I would say is just a tad too small for you. 20" (Large) would be the way to go IMO.

Also note that the Mongoose you've linked to above is a 2009 model.

I don't know where you are, but go around to a few shops and have a look at their bikes and even take a test spin on one or two. This will allow you to find out exactly what size is right for you and you can also decide if high-spec hardtail will work for you rather than mid-spec full-sus. In my experience, your value for money has improved a lot in Irish bike shops over the last year, though I can't vouch for the price of new bikes.

by the way what do you think of that Haro Sonix i linked? is that any good?

said id throw this up as well as there seems to be some good deals here (just have to find out if they ship to ireland :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Your mad to do downhill on anything but a good full suspension DOWNHILL bike, its dangerous enough as it is!

well i wont be doing anything hard to begin with il probably be at xc and the like for a good while just to get my fitness back and build up my skill again but id like to have a bike that could at least put its hand to some thing different if i wanted to (in theory any way:D)
    might buy this just to get started and see what happens after wards, and if i really like a certain type of biking il save up for a bike dedicated to that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

well im not a complete beginner in the sense that up to around 5 years ago i used muck around with my bike the whole time (as in going to woods and just roughing it through them :D) nothing proper though, i know il like the sport its just trying to nail down what variation im looking to get into as i can only afford one bike is a bit of a pain :( are xc trails exciting? as in can you ever pick up speed or is it constantly a battle to see how far you can push your stamina (ie jogging) this would be my biggest worry about this particular type of mountain biking.

Take the training....
    I booked a session about two years ago with Niall Davis when I was considering getting into MTBing.

(Granted I never got back in to MTBing: I don't drive, I don't fancy covering over 20km each why on fat mtb tires going very slow (not fun) and I am renting and only have space for one bike atm frown.gif.)

I had several hours of XC under my belt from a few trips with the UL MTB club and wasn't a total beginner, I still found the training invaluable.
    We covered some of the very basic things that I hadn't really be taught as such or picked up on club rides:

Turning: how to properly turn the bike at slow speed on a penny. Sounds simple but this is something I was never taught or really picked up from watching other people.
    How to use your body weight and stand on your peddles in the "attack position" correctly. (Granted I knew how to do this from XCing before, it's always good to have someone who knows what they are doing go over it with you....)

Braking: how to to brake properly without killing yourself.
    Bunny hopping: how to bunny hop over small obstacles.
    After that we did a few quick trails: one simple loop and two medium skill loops.

On top of that at the start of the session he went through a few minutes on how to setup my bike properly covering the adjustment on the suspension, saddle height, tire pressure etc....
    He even showed me how to pop my chain back on without getting my hands dirty after it fell off when I changed gears badly on a slow section and explained to me why the chain had fallen off and how avoid this in the future. (I tried changing gear on the front derailleur when I was at my hardest gear on the rear derailleur which isn't the best of ideas I have since been informed :o)

The training will greatly accelerate your performance and you wont feel like a complete tit on your first club ride. You also get to have a good crack at some XC and get a good feel for it.
    Niall is dead sound, really knows his stuff and most importantly is able to impart his experience and teach you properly.

As suggested already by those with much more experience: start with XC and work your way up to downhill. You are only going to badly crease yourself otherwise.
    Personally: I would budget €400-500 for an entry level hardtail or pick something better up 2nd hand. Then spend €200 or so on gear (helmet, gloves tools and Camel pack, pump spare tube etc...) Then start saving €2000 over the next year or so for a proper downhill rig and a fcuk tonne of body armour.

• Advertisement

just out of interest where are these lessons located? are there any in kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

just out of interest where are these lessons located? are there any in kerry?

Lessons were in Dublin.
    Not sure if they are any in Kerry. If you have spare weekend and can pop up to Dublin for a few hours I would.

il be joining a club when im getting started so il ask there to see if they have any first but thanks for all the advice and info :D love boards.ie you can learn so much from this place

one last question guys :o say if i where to buy this would it be easy to upgrade with better forks etc. down the road? is there strict rules when adding in new parts to a bike (as in you have to get a model x part to fit a model x bike kind of thing or is it all up to what you want), just asking this as it would be great if i could gradually build a bike into what i want

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading forks etc., you probably wouldn't notice the difference, the frame will still be heavy but functional, the rear shock is probably the weakest link. The rest of the kit is okay, brakes would probably be then first and only candidate for a change. If you get to a stage where you are looking to upgrade more than that then it is time for a new bike with a better frame and rear shock. You would probably get something very nice second hand for that money from some of the more MTB orientated bike shops that would be a better platform for building on, basically get the best frame and forks you can then sort the rest as you go/break bits.

Alternatively look at a lower end Giant and replace broken bits with better ones as the frame stays the same. You coudn't go wrong with a Trance as there would be nothing needing to be changed and it will handle occasional moderate downhill.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1290

but even the Yukon FX has gotten some great reviews

well im thinking i might be able to stretch the budget up to around 900 euro if i save up for a while (and im looking for a full suspension bike as i want something that can basically do xc and downhill) plus the 70 pound for shipping gives me a max at 1000 dont know if anyone knows of any second hand bikes going for around that (large frame)
    but is the trance a good frame? i want the option of upgrading parts so that i can basically put a new bike together part by part:D

Damn it they only have the trance 2 in small size :(

• Advertisement

i think im going to buy this as it seems very upgradeable (done a bit of research and the frame is good) at a great price, might buy a good fork as well for this any ideas? anything else that would need upgrading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

Stop looking at cheap full sus bikes as the are heavy and pretty poor components, dont make the same mistake I made. The story of the exploding Yukon front.... I kid you not!

This guy want €900 for this bike which is XT all over paired with fox shocks, you might be able to get it for your budget.

HERE

Bike-3.jpg

Don't be expecting much from the Yukon FX2 if you buy one.

i take it thats much better specd than anything ive put up?

I haven't looked at every bike you have put up but in short yes, The bike above would have retailed for about €2500 so that should have you some idea of the quality of the components.

Its worth a serious look, I have a mate selling a "specialized stumpjumper FSR comp" for similar money but as he is not great at the tech stuff I am taking photos for an add for him tomorrow.

MTB is one of the few sports when you get what you pay for, so by a cheap bike by twice, There are some savage value bikes to be had on the used market where you get a great bike with awesome components.

Have a better look about and don't just rush into the first "deal" you see from a online uk shop.

Adrian

thanks for that that bike looks like a great deal alright i sent him a pm with an offer (unfortunately i wont have money for another 2 weeks at least :( so i dont know if he can wait that long)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Ditto with what the other lads said:
    - Don't worry about downhill for the moment. There's technical XC tracks around that will probably scare the crap out of a beginner in places, not to mind downhill tracks. You can get seriously mangled at DH if you don't know what you're doing. A lot of the DH tracks are built for people that are already very good at biking and make little compromises for beginners. Sometimes the chicken runs are as sketchy as the drop offs and jumps. Get good at some technical XC courses and then progress gradually to DH. You can easily smash yourself up at XC not to mind Downhilling, particularly when you're starting out.
    - Don't bother with any new Full sus bike for less than around 1500 euro, - trust me, you'll regret it. Also, you'll need to be maintaining pivot bearings etc. on a full sus bike otherwise it'll give you a world of grief.

Get yourself a decent hardtail and progress gradually. You'll be a better, more confident rider because of it. You'd be looking at 800 euro to get yourself a decent hardtail second hand even. You might get (very) luck and pick up a second hand full sus bike as well for that price, - definitely not new though.

Edit: The bike posted by the lad above looks like a seriously good deal in fairness. (No affiliation)

il definitely be starting out at xc just so i can get fit again as well as building up my skill level but ive been using full suspension bikes since i was like 5 (even if they werent competition bikes and weighed a metric tonne (see the pics of the bike i put up a few pages back:rolleyes:)) so im fairly used of them and id also like a bike that i could throw at just about anything and it wouldnt instantaneously fall apart :D im trying to get in touch with that lad selling the Lapierre to see if he is interested in my offer, by maintaining bearings what exactly do you mean (buying new ones etc. ?) i wouldnt really shy away from working on a bike anyway as i figure the more you know about your bike the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

il definitely be starting out at xc just so i can get fit again as well as building up my skill level but ive been using full suspension bikes since i was like 5 (even if they werent competition bikes and weighed a metric tonne (see the pics of the bike i put up a few pages back:rolleyes:)) so im fairly used of them and id also like a bike that i could throw at just about anything and it wouldnt instantaneously fall apart :D im trying to get in touch with that lad selling the Lapierre to see if he is interested in my offer, by maintaining bearings what exactly do you mean (buying new ones etc. ?) i wouldnt really shy away from working on a bike anyway as i figure the more you know about your bike the better

Its not a matter of being used to the full susser. A hardtail is better for starting on as it teaches you how to pick your line through and over roots, rocks, off camber and mixed ground, and shift your body weight around so that you have more finely honed body positioning. Its all subtle stuff but makes a big difference over time.

Having said that, if you get a good deal on a full susser by all means go for it. Stay away from the cheap, new full sussers though.

im trying to get in touch with that lad selling the Lapierre to see if he is interested in my offer,

If there is a phone number on the add just try call him, not only will you know if he is interested in your offer but also shows your not one of the many tyre kickers people get from online adds.

Not that it matters but I don't know the seller.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

ravendude wrote: »
    Its not a matter of being used to the full susser. A hardtail is better for starting on as it teaches you how to pick your line through and over roots, rocks, off camber and mixed ground, and shift your body weight around so that you have more finely honed body positioning. Its all subtle stuff but makes a big difference over time.

Having said that, if you get a good deal on a full susser by all means go for it. Stay away from the cheap, new full sussers though.

i disagree, full suspension all the way!!! if you have experience riding a bike anywhere, even on the streets it will come in handy, a few spins easing yourself into it, don't pussh to hard on the full sus and you should get the guts of handling the bike, its more natural instinct!!

well thing is up until i was about 16 i used to be mad into bikes (nothing competitive though) going through woods and rough stuff all the time but with the leaving and then college i just kinda grew out of it :( im not completely ignorant of some things for instance i know how to bunny hop do a wheelie and a stopie shifting your body weight using the correct brakes (small things but still something :)) im looking at getting the full suspension bike so i can turn my hand to different variations of mountain biking without having to buy a new bike if that makes any sense

back to the drawing board lads your man sold his bike :( guess i was asking too many questions (to hell with that 900 euro is a lot of money so im not throwing it down the drain) any other ideas for a full suspension bike that wont kill me for around a 1000 quid

Check if this is still available

http://www.madmtb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5557

or go back to pauls for the Giant Trance

il definitely look into that as it seems like a great bike, but ive been looking at a couple of things on ebay id love to know what ye think : 1 2 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

il definitely look into that as it seems like a great bike, but ive been looking at a couple of things on ebay id love to know what ye think : 1 2 3

The la pierre looks like good value and with the travel on the forks you should be able to do xc and a bit of dh no problem.
    Whats your budget?All those bikes are in sterling and dont include postage.

There's a nice DH bike for sale here http://www.mbcc.ie/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4082

On the same site (but maybe too expensive) you could also find http://www.mbcc.ie/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4231

There both on the cork mountain bike clubs buy and sell. Link here http://www.mbcc.ie/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=bb2e2a8430e541a7cf464b62ddc09f97

There are alot of bikes for sale there so might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement

my budget would be at its limit with the lapiere with shipping(but just found out its a medium size bike and im 6 foot so i dont know if thats big enough :() im really interested in the ktm i linked as he says he paid 2500 for it problem is i cant find anything out about the bike

really interested in the bike i got linked to me up above the bioicon edision LTD seems like a great bike

buying this Thursday morning thanks to fenris for pointing it out to me :D looks like a great bike cant wait to try the adjustable suspension system

Advertisement