Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to dispose of old prescriptin medicine ?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all , I did a quick search to no avail
    Herselfs' mother was doin a bit of a clean out and gathered up all her old out of date medecines and called into the local pharmacy under the impression that they take them and dispose of them only to be told that if she didn't buy them there they wouldn't take them in .
    Anyone have similar experiences ?
    And can any one suggest where to get them disposed of ( Legally ! )the closer to ballybrit the better
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

did she go into briarhill pharmacy? they're awful stuck up in there.

try ringing merlin pharmacy near the centra there and see what they say, nicer crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That pharmacy isn't a very good pharmacy.

Either go to another pharmacy and/or drop them off when you are buying something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

It wasn't the one in briarhill it was the on in doughuisce
    There a bit up themselves allright though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

kevinfox wrote: »
    It wasn't the one in briarhill it was the on in doughuisce
    There a bit up themselves allright though

the one in doughiska next to the centra are usually grand, surprised at that myself!

If it was Briarhill (next to Dunnes) I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised. Suppose you could try them.

^^
    Ya my experiece with them have all been good ones but i think they have one bad egg in there ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'll take 'em. The recession has hit hard...

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'll take 'em. The recession has hit hard...

Legally ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

whats usually recommended is to dispose of the labels and the medicine seperately. If you are worried about someone coming across them then empty the capsules or crush them if they are tablets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Xiney wrote: »
    the one in doughiska next to the centra are usually grand, surprised at that myself! ...
    I'm astounded. I know them professionally and to a lesser extent through family, socially. I have never found them to be anything other than extremely courteous, helpful and friendly. I know from personal experience that they have gone way beyond the call of duty in order to provide services for their clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's mad that they don't take old meds back and dispose of them for you.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/HazardousWaste/
    For waste medicines: Some pharmacies will accept (although they are not obliged to) unused medicines for disposal. Do not put old medicines in your grey bin and do not flush it down the toilet - both methods of disposal can have serious environmental implications.

I guess ring another pharmacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

whats usually recommended is to dispose of the labels and the medicine seperately. If you are worried about someone coming across them then empty the capsules or crush them if they are tablets.
    Return to pharmacy. You have no idea what you are doing to the environment or what you risk poisoning otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Victor wrote: »
    Return to pharmacy. You have no idea what you are doing to the environment or what you risk poisoning otherwise.

Em, isn't this medicine that was at some stage considered fit for the lady to put into her body? Unless there is an awful lot of stuff involved, what impact will it have on the environment to dissolve it all in hot water and pour it down the toilet where it will get mixed up in a city's worth of poo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Neither do people that pour the contents of the deep fat fryer down their sink or burn nappies in their ranges.

Got sorted today in the origional pharmacy .
    There usually more than helpfull in there and i personally have no bad experiences in there . It is my pharmacy of choice
    Thanks for all replies i hope that people will think twice before flushing them next time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

kevinfox wrote: »
    Got sorted today in the origional pharmacy .
    There usually more than helpfull in there and i personally have no bad experiences in there . It is my pharmacy of choice
    Thanks for all replies i hope that people will think twice before flushing them next time !!

Glad you got sorted, but good point made about what is essentially going through our bodies and going into the drains as human waste.
    I assume it is just bad to flush a large quantity of this at once..otherwise we really have no idea how much goes into human waste from each dose really though. I'd say it is not like burning plastic etc in the short term, as our bodies dispose of it into the sewage system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Xiney wrote: »
    did she go into briarhill pharmacy? they're awful stuck up in there.

try ringing merlin pharmacy near the centra there and see what they say, nicer crowd.

When I read this first, I thought you said they were awful stuck in there (running low on medicine to sell) :D

Advertisement