Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of speed cameras

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

newportwex wrote: »
    So taking the law into your own hands and slowing down is the way to go is it?

We all have to deal with other drivers mistakes/laziness on a daily basis, but this "slowing down so people behind won't be able to swtich lanes" craic is idiotic behaviour;

a) You are slowing down traffic behind you, most of which are in the right lane and are trying to get home just the same as you.

b) You are causing a backlog of cars that are trying to swtich lanes, some of which will start butting into the right hand lane without being let in, which causes alot of accidents.

But a few accidents are grand as long as you get your little bit of satisfaction I suppose:rolleyes:

Clown.

Meeoooww!! Roll yer eyes to heaven all you want coz you are missing the point completely dumbo! The majority of these idiots are deliberately in the wrong lane because they want to avoid the tailbacks in the lane they are supposed to be in. "Oh hey, there's a big line of traffic there, Im not gonna waste time queuing in it, think I'll pretend I'm going down Abbey Road then cut accross into the lane I want to be in when I get towards the top of the hill".
    It's got to the point whereby I'll slow down to the speed limit (50kph) whilst the rest of the tools trying to cut in are speeding. If any accidents occur it's not my fault. I'm obeying the speed limit. It's the others that are speeding, driving erratically & not complying with the rules of the road. Judging by the registration plates of most of the offenders I sometimes do our neighbours from Wexford know to operate a car at all or what lane of the dual carriageway they need to be in returning on their merry journey home. After all this I am extremely satisfied with myself. Like the cat that's got the cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Joey if you read my post above yours,you will see that none of the drivers are in the wrong lane it is clearly marked on the road that you are allowed to merge with the left lane.As you see in the image below.

captur223e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Meeoooww!! Roll yer eyes to heaven all you want coz you are missing the point completely dumbo! The majority of these idiots are deliberately in the wrong lane because they want to avoid the tailbacks in the lane they are supposed to be in. "Oh hey, there's a big line of traffic there, Im not gonna waste time queuing in it, think I'll pretend I'm going down Abbey Road then cut accross into the lane I want to be in when I get towards the top of the hill".
    It's got to the point whereby I'll slow down to the speed limit (50kph) whilst the rest of the tools trying to cut in are speeding. If any accidents occur it's not my fault. I'm obeying the speed limit. It's the others that are speeding, driving erratically & not complying with the rules of the road. Judging by the registration plates of most of the offenders I sometimes do our neighbours from Wexford know to operate a car at all or what lane of the dual carriageway they need to be in returning on their merry journey home. After all this I am extremely satisfied with myself. Like the cat that's got the cream

Why would you be speeding in the first place? God I'd say you're an awful driver.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Right lads, thats the end of it now, either thread goes back on the topic of the speed camera locations or else it gets closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

bkehoe wrote: »
    Well here's 5 of them seen in Waterford on Monday morning. Also saw 3 other different ones earlier in the day. They seemed to be putting the stickers on them then in their speed camera van base - maybe they just haven't got round to doing all of them yet. I also met 2 white ones on the Cork Road this morning and both had stickers as well.

Wheres their base?? Surely waterford don't have that many cameras??? There's only supposed to be 45 for all of Ireland so they'd hardly base 5 of them in Waterford would they??

Heard that Lyons security have the contract for the Waterford area, anyone else hear this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Drove the whole outer ring road tonight at the official speed limit. It was torture. Actually felt like I was going 5 miles an hour. However nobody was going any faster which was good. Luckily I rarely have to travel on that road but really the car just wants to go at least 80kph on it.

But for my own sanity I might travel a different route in future. At least driving through town you actually feel like you're moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

^+1 respect

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Ok people 2 gatsos were parked on the quay " a right blackspot :) " fri all nite spotted by a few taxis..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Drove the whole outer ring road tonight at the official speed limit. It was torture. Actually felt like I was going 5 miles an hour. However nobody was going any faster which was good. Luckily I rarely have to travel on that road but really the car just wants to go at least 80kph on it.

But for my own sanity I might travel a different route in future. At least driving through town you actually feel like you're moving.

I really do try go at the speed limit everywhere but the ring road is impossible. If you move into right hand to turn right doing 60km you get blown out of it,by people driving at 80 km, 50 feet from the roundabout. How could 80km not be better for that road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

gatso van was on the tramore just past katie ryles on the straight stretch of road at 8:30pm last night 3:30am a cop car was parked in the old petrol garage opposite katies. both weren't on black spots in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

hellfireie wrote: »
    gatso van was on the tramore just past katie ryles on the straight stretch of road at 8:30pm last night 3:30am a cop car was parked in the old petrol garage opposite katies. both weren't on black spots in my opinion.

have you ever noticed the amount of crosses and roadside memorials on that road - open your eyes and look the next time. That road is a death trap and it's only right that the vans are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

What about the Dunmore road from Newtown to Dunmore East? Is there really a need for the vans to be there?

Im already sick of getting lights flashed by people stuck to my rear bumper because Im doing 50 in a 50 zone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One sat outside Becketts pub just by Riverview on Dunmore road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

jonnyfingers: Drive through town(cork rd, right at rsc, through the folly, right at lights, up past grange manor) and ignore the orr. You'll save yourself a couple of mins and at least you'll have things to look at while going through town!

I've been amazed this week about how slow everyone is going. I'm not so surprised about how many people still think the speed limit is a minimum and not a maximum.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Newrath this evening 7pm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

R478 (the road from New Ross into Waterford, just past the Port roundabout.) on the Waterford side. The van wasn't parked far from the roundabout in the hard shoulder about 11sh. Marked vehicle though with the camera label all over it. The camera sits on the top of the roof at the back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Trotter wrote: »
    Im already sick of getting lights flashed by people stuck to my rear bumper because Im doing 50 in a 50 zone..

If anyone flashes me I slow down to a crawl. Ignorant arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Seems to be one just opposite the Whitfield clinic in the new-ish 60km/h zone every day. Its parked illegally I noted on hatched markings.

I don't believe there has ever been an accident at this location.

Also there is one regularly parked in the lay by opposite McDonalds on the cork road at night.

It is quite obvious that some of the locations are chosen purely for monetary gain. The Whitfield being a prime example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Seems to be one just opposite the Whitfield clinic in the new-ish 60km/h zone every day.

Every day? :eek: What time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

They'll need to catch a fair few before they can pay back the imf...
    Unless they could be sponsoring the vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Seems to be one just opposite the Whitfield clinic in the new-ish 60km/h zone every day. Its parked illegally I noted on hatched markings.

I don't believe there has ever been an accident at this location.

Also there is one regularly parked in the lay by opposite McDonalds on the cork road at night.

There has been, although pre roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

So why not make a complaint to the Gardai about this, be interested if you would be successful, id love to see these feckers getting their own back

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

go up and say it to em about being parked illegally, most if not all vans are manned

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Parked on the Tramore-Waterford road, not far from the speed limit increase and just beyond the water house. Parked in the hard shoulder, marked van!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

One of the lads was telling me he seen one on the ORR today.
    It had Waterford City Council markings on it.
    He thought it was a council van but when he got closer he seen the camera at the back window.
    They hardly have undercover vans aswell do they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Thought the safety vans were meant to be clearly marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That looks pretty obvious from the side at any rate!

cococoady wrote: »
    One of the lads was telling me he seen one on the ORR today.
    It had Waterford City Council markings on it.
    He thought it was a council van but when he got closer he seen the camera at the back window.
    They hardly have undercover vans aswell do they.

It wasn't one of the 'safety' camera vans if it had council markings on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It wasn't one of the 'safety' camera vans if it had council markings on it.

Wonder who it was then, cos he said it was definetely a camera van.

Advertisement