Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of speed cameras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

mikeym wrote: »
    Thought the safety vans were meant to be clearly marked.

Not all vans look like this.
    They have unmarked vans aswell

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isn't the camera on the roof? I doubt they would mark it City Council and none of the pictures I saw of the vans have council markings. Some no markings and others with cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Ok so I was talking to a Garda I know,

there are two types of vans:

The Gatso van, which is an unmarked van which is manned by a member of the Gardaí, the gatso van is the van that was here way before the new vans. That van may be parked anywhere without any warning.

The "New" vans, are vans which are clearly marked and the camera sticks out of them. They are run by a private group or organisation and have nothing to do with the Gardaí except for apparently being approved to operate in the designated areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Saw one parked in the lay-by opposite McDonald's about half eight this evening. Saw another one going around the roundabout up the road to head out past PC world, presumably making its way to one of the Dunmore Road spots. Both had the big camera stickers on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Saw one parked in the lay-by opposite McDonald's about half eight this evening. Saw another one going around the roundabout up the road to head out past PC world, presumably making its way to one of the Dunmore Road spots. Both had the big camera stickers on them.

Serious accident blackspots them...God Ted, I'm no good at numbers, but I reckon there must've been at least 3 million people killed there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've passed them there 3 times in the last week, all different vans, they must be getting dinner or changing shifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Saw one parked in the lay-by opposite McDonald's about half eight this evening....

Probably getting their tea!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is the important bit of that post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Parked up outside the entrance to cleaboy industrial estate. Death trap that place is obviously. Unmarked 10 KY transit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Junior wrote: »
    Parked up outside the entrance to cleaboy industrial estate. Death trap that place is obviously. Unmarked 10 KY transit.

They seem to be targetting area's with Pedestrian crossing in the city.

• Advertisement

They seem to be targetting area's with Pedestrian crossing in the city.

Well there's no Pedestrian crossings up there at Cleaboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well there's no Pedestrian crossings up there at Cleaboy

I thought there was 2 up that road. Where exactly is Cleaboy industrial estate? Is that where an post is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I spotted him this morning. Money hungry bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Yeah, I spotted the van @ Cleaboy this morning, just after the turn off from Carrickpherish Rd; its a very, very, very sneaky spot for that time of day. Every weekday there is a constant flow of traffic going to the Industrial Estate & in the Cleaboy Road. Reckon it caught a lot of unsuspecting folks this morning breaking the speed limit by 5/10kph!! That's really preventing carnage on the roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I thought there was 2 up that road. Where exactly is Cleaboy industrial estate? Is that where an post is?

No thats the Northern Extension Industrial Estate your thinking of,the Cleaboy Business park is across the road from Genzyme,here it is

Ha ha one of them got burnt out last/night early this morning up around Dundalk..

^ In all fairness while i don't agree with the cameras,i don't think it would be as funny if the man in the back of the van doing his job was to be burnt alive by some idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hardly a laughing matter could have been a fatality.

Ha ha one of them got burnt out last/night early this morning up around Dundalk..

It's not that funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Saw a wine coloured van with the stickers driving past lemybrien yesterday.
    And there was me thinking that these vans were only white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

The vans have an 8km per hour tolerance on them so if you do 58km in a 50km zone you will be ok,the mounting on the top of the van is actually the flash not the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

1967 wrote: »
    The vans have an 8km per hour tolerance on them so if you do 58km in a 50km zone you will be ok,the mounting on the top of the van is actually the flash not the camera.

Where did you get this information from becaus I'm pretty sure I heard that there wasn't any tolerance at all and that that was an agrument against them because at least a human has the advantage of using their judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Where did you get this information from becaus I'm pretty sure I heard that there wasn't any tolerance at all and that that was an agrument against them because at least a human has the advantage of using their judgement.
    Not going into details just somebody involved with the vans.He gave me some useful info about them and a look inside one of the vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

One van is currently parked up at the old Maxol garage on the Dunmore road. I'd say that some load of people have been caught so far today........:rolleyes:

Honestly what is the point in even deploying the camera vans in the current road conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Honestly what is the point in even deploying the camera vans in the current road conditions.

Because there are still some idiots out there who will drive fast despite the conditions today. I've seen some.

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »

Wouldn't it be a good time to have it there? I can guarantee you that there is an idiot somewhere who thinks he has the driving skills of Colin McCray (RIP) even in the current conditions.

This van is on the Tramore road now,just as your leaving heading towards town.

img0483yr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

passed him doing 30mph yesterday , doubt he nabbed many yesterday
    however from a PR perspective its a boost for them to be out as its meant to be a high visibilty safety campaign not a revenue creating numbers game at the end of the month that we are used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

It is hard to justify the whinging about the recently introduced speed cameras.
    How will they influence driver behaviour ?
    More drivers will drive within the speed limit for more of the time.
    Some drivers will be caught, fined and have points applied. Some of them may feel that they were driving at an appropriate speed and that the speed cameras are merely there to generate revenue.
    It doesn't matter what they think.
    Depending on how thick you are the message will hopefully sink in before you have done too much damage on the road.
    Stay within the speed limit and you won't have to worry about where the vans are, when they are there or how they are marked.
    We will all be safer on our roads.
    Any questions ?

• Advertisement

slainte1 wrote: »
    It is hard to justify the whinging about the recently introduced speed cameras.
    How will they influence driver behaviour ?
    More drivers will drive within the speed limit for more of the time.
    Some drivers will be caught, fined and have points applied. Some of them may feel that they were driving at an appropriate speed and that the speed cameras are merely there to generate revenue.
    It doesn't matter what they think.
    Depending on how thick you are the message will hopefully sink in before you have done too much damage on the road.
    Stay within the speed limit and you won't have to worry about where the vans are, when they are there or how they are marked.
    We will all be safer on our roads.
    Any questions ?

What color is that high horse you're on ?

Advertisement