Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of speed cameras

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

Well done, Junior.
    Your village must be very proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

A clown in a Speed camera van operating on the Belmount Rd, Ferrybank this morning at 8am... Cars traveling through the ice and slush doing 20 at most and this fool is watching for speeding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Funfair wrote: »
    A clown in a Speed camera van operating on the Belmount Rd, Ferrybank this morning at 8am... Cars traveling through the ice and slush doing 20 at most and this fool is watching for speeding :D
    He is doing his job, was told to do it by his manager/boss, so hardly a clown.

Woodgate wrote: »
    He is doing his job, was told to do it by his manager/boss, so hardly a clown.

Sorry Woodgate that you in the van.. and here's me thinking you were a clown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why do you feel the need to call someone a clown for doing his job? And just because most cars are driving at a speed suitable for the conditions, don't assume they all are. I have seen idiots speeding and overtaking in these conditions. They are the real clowns. Them and people making needless ad hominem attacks.

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to call someone a clown for doing his job? And just because most cars are driving at a speed suitable for the conditions, don't assume they all are. I have seen idiots speeding and overtaking in these conditions. They are the real clowns. Them and people making needless ad hominem attacks.

Woodgate that your Boss ? Sounds like a right ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I've seen the vans in places not shown on the maps.

How are they allowed to 'survey' (euphemism) in areas not shown on the Garda maps?

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

alinton wrote: »
    I've seen the vans in places not shown on the maps.

How are they allowed to 'survey' (euphemism) in areas not shown on the Garda maps?

A.

Really? Where have you seen them that's outside of the locations on the maps? I've been wondering about this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note
    Play nicely folks. If you can't contribute without getting insulting or personal, best not contribute at all.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

mikeym wrote: »
    Saw a wine coloured van with the stickers driving past lemybrien yesterday.
    And there was me thinking that these vans were only white.

Ah now...lets not let racism creep into this thread....lmao. We should demand yellow ones, black ones, brown ones, etc. The creeps should also sell adverts on the side to generate even more revenue....just think of what could be advertised on the side of them vans...Defensive Driving Schools, Solicitors to reduce your points....them fellas need to think outside the box FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Deise_67

Just passed the green in Ballytruckle ! Speed van parked there at this well know death trap ! Second Sunday in a row !
    just another revenue gathering exercise ! What a joke !

If you don't want to give them revenue, don't drive illegally. Why do so may people act as if it is their god given right to drive illegally and complain about the "revenue gathering exercise" of getting caught doing something illegal? Funny how people want the law enforced only when it suits them.

If you don't want to give them revenue, don't drive illegally. Why do so may people act as if it is their god given right to drive illegally and complain about the "revenue gathering exercise" of getting caught doing something illegal? Funny how people want the law enforced only when it suits them.

I don't think that's true and I think you're deliberately misrepresenting it as that. I think the vast majority just want these speed traps where they're more beneficial. If you were asked to list the spots around the city where people's speed causes danger, how many of those on your list would correspond with the locations of these vans?

These private speed cameras were sold to us as a measure for improving road safety by only being posted in accident black spots. It turns out they're just the same as the majority of Garda speed traps: a revenue-generating exercise. It turns out Irish people have had enough of being lied to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Deise_67 wrote: »
    Just passed the green in Ballytruckle ! Speed van parked there at this well know death trap ! Second Sunday in a row !
    just another revenue gathering exercise ! What a joke !

Maybe so but anyone doing more than 50K in a built up area like this deserves be caught.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I don't think that's true and I think you're deliberately misrepresenting it as that. I think the vast majority just want these speed traps where they're more beneficial. If you were asked to list the spots around the city where people's speed causes danger, how many of those on your list would correspond with the locations of these vans?

These private speed cameras were sold to us as a measure for improving road safety by only being posted in accident black spots. It turns out they're just the same as the majority of Garda speed traps: a revenue-generating exercise. It turns out Irish people have had enough of being lied to.

I really don't care where people driving illegally get caught. Neither do I care that it's not an accident black spot. I'd rather enforcement before someone gets killed, not only after. People are already driving better in black spots when they know there may be a van there. If it gets them driving better elsewhere too because there may be a van there, good job. And people have been killed in areas not marked on the map. Areas not marked on the map should not be considered areas where people can do what they want.

I would also take issue with the claim that "the vast majority just want these speed traps where they're more beneficial" rather than simply being against them at all. I've seen enough threads, heard enough conversations and seen enough speeding (speeding by the vast majority of drivers in many areas) to see that there is a hell of a lot of people who just don't want them making them drive at the limit and claim it is unfair when they get caught breaking it. Seen enough people justifying driving illegally by banging on about how they are a good driver and are driving appropriately for the conditions, even if it is illegal, and it is a disgrace that they were fined. That they should be catching all those other drivers, not them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

I really don't care where people driving illegally get caught. Neither do I care that it's not an accident black spot. I'd rather enforcement before someone gets killed, not only after. People are already driving better in black spots when they know there may be a van there. If it gets them driving better elsewhere too because there may be a van there, good job. And people have been killed in areas not marked on the map. Areas not marked on the map should not be considered areas where people can do what they want.

I would also take issue with the claim that "the vast majority just want these speed traps where they're more beneficial" rather than simply being against them at all. I've seen enough threads, heard enough conversations and seen enough speeding (speeding by the vast majority of drivers in many areas) to see that there is a hell of a lot of people who just don't want them making them drive at the limit and claim it is unfair when they get caught breaking it. Seen enough people justifying driving illegally by banging on about how they are a good driver and are driving appropriately for the conditions, even if it is illegal, and it is a disgrace that they were fined. That they should be catching all those other drivers, not them.

You have hit the nail on the head. Excellent post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

..... as long as speed limit set are appropiate

the ORR is a clear example of a speed limit that is not appropiate to the type of road in question, neither are the countless number of boreens comming off the ORR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Bards wrote: »
    ..... as long as speed limit set are appropiate

the ORR is a clear example of a speed limit that is not appropiate to the type of road in question, neither are the countless number of boreens comming off the ORR

OK. If people don't like a speed limit they should complain to have it changed. Complaining about our laws being enforced is just nuts.

How can we run a country where we have rules, but no rules as to how the rules are enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

dayshah wrote: »
    OK. If people don't like a speed limit they should complain to have it changed. Complaining about our laws being enforced is just nuts.

How can we run a country where we have rules, but no rules as to how the rules are enforced?

believe you me, I and loads of others have done just that. It is in the power of our locally elected representatives to do that for which they are elected - but most of them think that when they get elected that they can then ignore the very same electorate:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

Camera out in Tramore today by the Guilamene. Personally glad to see them around that area as alot of walkers on that road, and speed demons (okay not this time of year).

• Advertisement

jmdsk wrote: »
    Camera out in Tramore today by the Guilamene. Personally glad to see them around that area as alot of walkers on that road, and speed demons (okay not this time of year).

Yeah this is a great spot for them. Lots of cars travel that road at way too high a speed. It's seriously dangerous.

jmdsk wrote: »

Don't think they can summons the walkers for jaywalking, pity !!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

Funfair wrote: »
    Don't think they can summons the walkers for jaywalking, pity !!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Has anyone seen any of these vans lately?
    I personally havent seen one since a couple of weeks before christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Haven't seen one for about 2 weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

often see them inbound on the ferrybank dual carraigway. not ever seen one anywhere else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Was driving behind one that was doing around 70 on a 50 road last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Speed camera van (unmarked) was parked up on the Dunmore Road on Sat night at 9pm just past the Woodlands hotel. Rear window of van was pointing towards Dunmore. It has a radar operated speed detector installed, with infrared camera for low level detection.
    If you spot it, slow down to the speed limit, (don't just think - ah it's got me) as the detection area of the camera is very close to the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

there was one at the old cremary on the old tramore road the other day

• Advertisement

One outside Garvey's pub in Poleberry on Monday morning, I was lucky I was behind some dude doing 30 Kph otherwise who knows might have being slightly over as you couldn't see the van with the fog till it would have being too late the cute fecker :)

Advertisement