Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW K1200r

• 15-11-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

First things first - BMW models. Does it work the same as the cages? Would you refer to the 'K series'?

I've seen the K1200R and must say, I'm rather taken by it. I love nakeds and I'll never part with my GSX1400. I've also noticed purely by co-incidence that the K1200S really floats my boat too.

Whereabouts would they fit in the market? Would the S be a VFR type bike? I'm quite a big bloke and I was fairly disappointed to learn that I was too big to fit the VFR comfortably. Would the R be more bandit sized??

Any other thoughts? Do they tend to be particularly unreliable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Personally I'd go for a ducati streetfighter or 1198 if spending that money for a bike.

Style and panaché over brute force and ignorance in my book.

I know a couple of people that have gone for Hondas after owning the respective BMW models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It refers to engine type.
    K is inline four.(usually, though they had transverse threes in the old days also, and the new K1600 is a six cylinder).
    R is the legendary Flat twin.
    F is for the most part single cylinder, but more recently the F is a parellel twin. They call the single the "G" range now, but earlier F650s were single cylinder... However confusingly they still have F in the title....

The key is in the latter letters.(after the number that sometimes indicates engine size.. except for the new F650, which is a 800cc).
    RT is Reise-Tourer, or "travel tourer"
    GT is Grande Tourer. More touring extras than the RT
    RS is Reise Sport (Travel Sport).. sports tourer
    ST is Strasse (Street) or Sport Tourer
    GS is Gelände Sport Off-road Sport (Enduro)
    S is Sport
    C is Cruiser

The exceptions (as usual) are the HP2 Sport, which is designed to spend its life on the track, and the HP2 Megamoto which is only useful to those who cross deserts or mountains standing on the pegs regularly. And the S1000R, which is BMWs attempt to throw away the rulebook and build a proper sports bike, without any of the usual BMW oddities and gimmics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Very interesting reply, however, the GS is Gelande -Strasse (Off road - Street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Pique wrote: »
    Very interesting reply, however, the GS is Gelande -Strasse (Off road - Street).
    Either is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

iirc, the k1200r + s are fairly huge bikes

wheelbase of the 1200r should give you an approximate estimation of its presence (bout 4 inches longer then a busa)

really though, you'd have to give em a sit and see what ye think :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The k1200r is a savage machine. I'd pick one up if I could afford a second bike. Prices in Joe duffy for second hand ones are high, I'd check donedeal or possibility UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I have a number of R1200GSs over the years and when I get them serviced get a loan bike. JD are good at having and loaning different models, so over the years I've tried a few :D

One of the nicest, and the most surprising was the K1200R!

I had only two issues with it: it was a bit draughty (for me) and seriously quick from a licence perspective ;)
    I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride in traffic and on the open road, quick, manouverable and effortless:cool:

I'm seriously looking at getting a K next time round :)

Advertisement