Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem: Working on a Sunday

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

Plowman wrote: »

The problem is this: although UK law protects your choice not to work Sundays, in practice there is nothing to stop a potential employer rejecting your application based on your preference for not working Sundays. Many employers ask you, as part of the application process, about your availability to work. The potential for discrimination based on this information is the problem I am highlighting, and nobody has cottoned on to this risk of discrimination on this thread. I was worried about it myself during a recent application, but as it happens, I was offered the job despite stating I was unavailable Sundays. However, the risk remains and other employers may not be quite so honourable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

The problem is this: although UK law protects your choice not to work Sundays, in practice there is nothing to stop a potential employer rejecting your application based on your preference for not working Sundays. Many employers ask you, as part of the application process, about your availability to work. The potential for discrimination based on this information is the problem I am highlighting, and nobody has cottoned on to this risk of discrimination on this thread.

The question about your availability to work has nothing to do with your religion specifically but about your availability to work. Just like a person who wants to take every Wednesday off because he wants to spend the day repairing broken antique lamps has no right to expect the time off, neither does any religious person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The problem is this: although UK law protects your choice not to work Sundays, in practice there is nothing to stop a potential employer rejecting your application based on your preference for not working Sundays. Many employers ask you, as part of the application process, about your availability to work. The potential for discrimination based on this information is the problem I am highlighting, and nobody has cottoned on to this risk of discrimination on this thread.
    Again: no-one can force you to work on a Sunday. And: no-one can force you to sign a contract saying that you have to work on a Sunday.

But: no-one has to take on an employee who refuses to work on a Sunday

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Improbable wrote: »
    The question about your availability to work has nothing to do with your religion specifically but about your availability to work. Just like a person who wants to take every Wednesday off because he wants to spend the day repairing broken antique lamps has no right to expect the time off, neither does any religious person.

It is different, because it is based on religious convictions and matters of conscience. The debate has now moved on from the point you are trying to make. The issue now is, how can we protect Christians from discrimination in practice? A law is ineffective if it doesn't actually work and cannot be enforced or monitored.

It is different, because it is based on religious convictions and matters of conscience. The debate has now moved on from the point you are trying to make. The issue now is, how can we protect Christians from discrimination in practice? A law is ineffective if it doesn't actually work and cannot be enforced or monitored.
    You are not looking for protection from discrimination. You are looking for special treatment above and beyond what anybody else would get

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    You are not looking for protection from discrimination. You are looking for special treatment above and beyond what anybody else would get

No, you are wrong.

It is a matter of potential discrimination based on religious conviction and matters of conscience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Maybe this of Herod?
    Luke 13:31 On that very day some Pharisees came, saying to Him, “Get out and depart from here, for Herod wants to kill You.”
    32 And He said to them, “Go, tell that fox, ‘Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.’ 33 Nevertheless I must journey today, tomorrow, and the day following; for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jer

the earlier quote was the correct one except in some translations "wise" is replaced by "shrewd" or "cunning", and I got my snakes and foxes mixed up. Somewhere in the Song of Songs there is a ref to little foxes in the vineyard (ie small errors or heresies, best nipped in the bud before they take root)

No, you are wrong.

It is a matter of potential discrimination based on religious conviction and matters of conscience.
    And if my religion says I can only work one day a week?

• Advertisement

the earlier quote was the correct one except in some translations "wise" is replaced by "shrewd" or "cunning", and I got my snakes and foxes mixed up. Somewhere in the Song of Songs there is a ref to little foxes in the vineyard (ie small errors or heresies, best nipped in the bud before they take root)

Little foxes in a vineyard sounds like fun, as does snakes and foxes - a cool name for a new board game.

Why should religion (which is after all, only an opinion, even if strongly held) get special treatment?

And if my religion says I can only work one day a week?

We live in a Christian country (Ireland) and the Constitution gives Catholicism a special status. Of course there are many who want to erode that, as we see.

Anyway, I'm tired of this discussion. I know I'm right and that's all that matters.

We live in a Christian country (Ireland) and the Constitution gives Catholicism a special status. Of course there are many who want to erode that, as we see.

Anyway, I'm tired of this discussion. I know I'm right and that's all that matters.
    So it's absolutely nothing to do with discrimination, it's about a "special status" for one very specific division of a religion?

So it's absolutely nothing to do with discrimination, it's about a "special status" for one very specific division of a religion?

The status is not only given to the RCC, but to other, non-Catholic Christian groups as well. It is the Irish Constitution after all. Anyway, I said I didn't want to continue this discussion.

The status is not only given to the RCC, but to other, non-Catholic Christian groups as well. Anyway, I said I didn't want to continue this discussion.
    Ok, so it's absolutely nothing to do with discrimination, it's about a "special status" for one particular set of divisions of a religion?

• Advertisement

Ok, so it's absolutely nothing to do with discrimination, it's about a "special status" for one particular set of divisions of a religion?
    No need to repeat yourself.

If the Irish Constitution grants such a privilege, do you want it revoked??? The NSS are working towards a similar agenda in Britain. They hate the CoE and want to see the Royal Family done away with. Personally, I hope the UK retains both, because one day they will be the Catholic monarchs of the new Catholic Kingdom of Britain and Ireland, once the CoE has fizzled away, their flock having been absorbed by the RCC (allowing them their worthy Anglican traditions, of course).

No need to repeat yourself.
    There is when you refuse to answer the question the first time. And you still haven't answered it
    If the Irish Constitution grants such a privilege, do you want it revoked??? The NSS are working towards a similar agenda in Britain. They hate the CoE and want to see the Royal Family done away with. Personally, I hope the UK retains the Royals, because one day they will be the Catholic monarchs of the new Catholic Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.
    Eh... now I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but "Catholic monarchs" and "Catholic Kingdom" are oxymorons

There is when you refuse to answer the question the first time. And you still haven't answered it
    Call it what you will. The Irish Constitution grants the RCC special privileges. Would you like to get rid of them?

Eh... now I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but "Catholic monarchs" and "Catholic Kingdom" are oxymorons
    How so?

Call it what you will.
    So you are calling for Catholics be treated differently to other people when applying for jobs?
    The Irish Constitution grants the RCC special privileges. Would you like to get rid of them?
    Yes. If, of course, it does grant special privileges. Where in the Irish Constitution is Catholicism granted special privileges? What Article?
    How so?
    You can have monarchs who are Catholics. You can have countries which have a majority of (or even exclusively contain) Catholics.

However, those monarchs and countries are not recognised by the RCC as having any special status. They fall under the exact same laws, definitions, considerations etc. as Catholic 'peasants' and non-Catholic countries

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »

You'll probably find they were bullied or offered sweeties for voting for it. Ireland has a recent history of that sort of thing.

Anyway, I said I didn't want to continue.

The issue is, if a Christian doesn't want to work Sundays because of conscience and religious conviction, then that is fine, and he should not be discriminated against in recruitment competitions based on this preference. That's my position. End of.

You're a bit behind the times there, jester. Constitution was amended some time ago.

rofl @ last sentence :rolleyes:

The CT forum is over yonder >>> :pac:

Improbable wrote: »
    The CT forum is over yonder >>> :pac:

What's CT?

What's CT?

Conspiracy Theory forum.

Anyway, I said I didn't want to continue.
    If you've elaborated your position as far as you are going to, stop posting
    The issue is, if a Christian doesn't want to work Sundays because of conscience and religious conviction, then that is fine, and he should not be discriminated against in recruitment competitions based on this preference. That's my position. End of.
    If someone refuses to work on Sunday, they are not discriminated against because of their religious conviction. They are 'discriminated' against because they refuse work on Sunday. The reason behind the refusal is immaterial. You are looking for special privileges to be granted to Christians (even though there are no constitutional basis for doing so).

If you've elaborated your position as far as you are going to, stop posting

If someone refuses to work on Sunday, they are not discriminated against because of their religious conviction. They are 'discriminated' against because they refuse work on Sunday. The reason behind the refusal is immaterial. You are looking for special privileges to be granted to Christians (even though there are no constitutional basis for doing so).

Christians are free to follow their conscience even if the state tries to stop them, indeed they must do what is right. he point is, no matter what we do, we must bear witness to Christ. If my conscience tells me not to work Sundays, then that's fine and no potential employer can reject me on that basis alone as that would be discrimination.

I also want to add something: there are worthy and necessary jobs that must be done Sunday: emergency services and caring professions, for example. But my main objection to Sunday work is this: by working in retail on a Sunday, I believe I would be playing a part in the de-sacralisation of Sunday, and I want no part in that. It feels wrong to me. However, I have a right to a retail job the rest of the week, and therefore I shall not be discriminated against in recruitment for a retail job based on my rejection of Sunday working based on religious and conscience reasons. Perhaps I should have explained that earlier. But that's the point I am trying to make. It's hard to get the message through though.

Christians are free to follow their conscience even if the state tries to stop them, indeed they must do what is right. he point is, no matter what we do, we must bear witness to Christ. If my conscience tells me not to work Sundays, then that's fine and no potential employer can reject me on that basis alone as that would be discrimination.
    And the conscience of a member of the "Third Division of the Church of the Last Jester of King Henry the Sixth" says that they can't work on any day other than Monday, therefore an employer is discriminating against them if they refuse to hire them on that basis. Are you ok with an employer 'discriminating' in that situation? Or are you, once again, looking for special privilege even though you have no constitutional basis for doing so?

And to go back to the previous situation I asked of you: Say I have an elderly mother with a kidney problem, needs to be taken for dialysis every Sunday. It's a day-long round-trip and I'm her only mode of transport. Obviously, I will never be available on Sundays. Should I be able to hide that from an employer who specifically asks that I be available on weekends? Should you be treated any differently to me because your reason is religious?

• Advertisement

I also want to add something: there are worthy and necessary jobs that must be done Sunday: emergency services and caring professions, for example. But my main objection to Sunday work is this: by working in retail on a Sunday, I believe I would be playing a part in the de-sacralisation of Sunday, and I want no part in that. It feels wrong to me. However, I have a right to a retail job the rest of the week, and therefore I shall not be discriminated against in recruitment for a retail job based on my rejection of Sunday working based on religious and conscience reasons. Perhaps I should have explained that earlier. But that's the point I am trying to make. It's hard to get the message through though.

Says who?:confused:
    You must tell all the people on the dole that, they'd love to know they have a right to a retail job.

then that's fine and no potential employer can reject me on that basis alone as that would be discrimination.
    Nobody cares why you can't work on a sunday. Either you can or can't, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is indeed hard to get the message through.

You are not entitled to a job, in retail or anywhere else.

If you apply for a retail job and the employer asks when you are available for work, you will not be any more discriminated against because you say you are not available on Sundays than if you are not available on Wednesdays.

The employer does not care why you want Sundays off. All he wants to know is whether he can fit you into his shift schedule.

You seem to suggest that you should be able to say 'I am a Christian and therefore I want Sundays off, but you are not allowed to hold that against me, and to prove that you are not holding it against me you are obliged to give me the job.'

You will have to find a much more convincing case for martyrdom, especially since you have got the job anyway. Good luck by the way with the job, I wouldn't say too much about your theory in the canteen though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd reckon given the economic turmoil - the realistic approach is to grab any reasonable job going.
    Saying that, there is always the possibility of negotiation with the employer on time off to attending services /mass.
    Quoting from Wikipedia on Catholic social teaching, Employers should " respect in every man his dignity as a person ennobled by Christian character" - and most employers are reasonable types.

Manach wrote: »
    I'd reckon given the economic turmoil - the realistic approach is to grab any reasonable job going.
    Saying that, there is always the possibility of negotiation with the employer on time off to attending services /mass.
    Quoting from Wikipedia on Catholic social teaching, Employers should " respect in every man his dignity as a person ennobled by Christian character" - and most employers are reasonable types.
    My gripe is this: I hate how on Sunday, many people don't go to Mass, yet the shopping malls and GAA grounds are full. I want no part in serving this apostasy. For me, I feels wrong to assist in this whole shambolic affair. I want no part in Sunday retail. That's my conscience issue and that's why I don't want to work Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭panthera

My gripe is this: I hate how on Sunday, many people don't go to Mass, yet the shopping malls and GAA grounds are full. I want no part in serving this apostasy. For me, I feels wrong to assist in this whole shambolic affair. I want no part in Sunday retail. That's my conscience issue and that's why I don't want to work Sundays.

what a frightening way to view the world.honestly, thats sad. you hate that people choose to enjoy a day-off watching sport or enjoying some shopping instead of worshipping a non-existent entity.

panthera wrote: »
    what a frightening way to view the world.honestly, thats sad. you hate that people choose to enjoy a day-off watching sport or enjoying some shopping instead of worshipping a non-existent entity.

When you know the good God His love for us and what He did for us, and you see that people would rather spurn His love and go shopping instead, then yeah, that is sad.

You may not believe in God, but most of the folks on this sub-board do, so perhaps you might respect that, eh, old chap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Out of interest when exactly did Sunday become the Sabbath? Saturday had been the Sabbath and that was the day Jesus himself would have "kept holy", so when was the changeover? Was there one particular week in history when believers were expected to keep both the Saturday and the Sunday holy to accommodate the transfer of Sabbath and how did God make his intention of changing the timing of the Sabbath known to his followers or was it a decision made by Christians on God's behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

And how do you think not working on Sundays would increase Mass atendance? Do you think people wake up on Sunday morning and think: Well, I'd like to go to Mass, but hey, Tesco is open, so I go there instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Out of interest when exactly did Sunday become the Sabbath? Saturday had been the Sabbath and that was the day Jesus himself would have "kept holy", so when was the changeover? Was there one particular week in history when believers were expected to keep both the Saturday and the Sunday holy to accommodate the transfer of Sabbath and how did God make his intention of changing the timing of the Sabbath known to his followers or was it a decision made by Christians on God's behalf?

It didn't. Sunday is not, and never has been, the Sabbath. The Sabbath, like circumcision and dietary laws, gradually fell into disuse as the Church absorbed Gentiles and understood its identity as being distinct from Judaism.

The early Church, according to Paul's epistles, met on the Lord's Day (Sunday) because that was the day that Jesus rose again and also the day when the Spirit was pured out on Pentecost. But there is no hint in the Bible that Sunday was ever to be considered as somehow being the Sabbath.

I know churches here in Ireland (ethnic groups from Brazil etc) that worship on Saturday - not for any theological reason, but because practically their members usually work shifts on Sunday and it is easier to borrow a Presbyterian church's building on a Saturday rather than on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, you are fully entitled to your view of how Sunday should be spent, and also to not go shopping or watching football on a Sunday. That is your choice. It does not follow, though, that if people did not go shopping or GAA games, they would go to Mass. If people have fallen away from the Church, it is not because shops are open, rather the reverse.

Be grateful for your own faith, but don't wrap it in the negative aura that results from disapproving of other people's different ideas. You are more likely to convert people by positive example than by disapproval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jester Minute. Let me go through your quotes there and give you my thinking:
    Absolute Liberalism

Absolute Liberalism is the most extreme. Having its source in the principles of the French Revolution and beginning with those who denied the existence of God, it naturally takes the position that the State prescinds from God: the State, it says, is atheistic. Undertaking, with the elimination of revelation and the Divine Positive Law, to get back to purely natural principles, it accepted from Rousseau and the Utilitarians the principle that all right comes from the State, all authority from the consentient wills of the people of the State. The position logically followed that the Church has no rights--not even the right to existence--save such as are conceded to it by the civil power. Hence it is not a perfect society, but a creature of the State, upon which it depends in all things, and upon which it must be directly subordinate, if it is to be allowed to exist at all.

Firstly, the State is not atheistic in this suggestion.

Secondly, the State is not separate from God, as He is the one who institutes rulers.

Thirdly, revelation and Divine Law are not eliminated, rather they are argued for on a grassroots level rather than imposed top-down. I believe this is a better way of evangelising. Paul the Apostle commonly did this in the numerous cities that he ministered in. The Acts of the Apostles is a key text in understanding how the church operated on a grassroots level influencing society, but not ruling over their respective nations. People resent top-down control, while people are open to hearing thought that differs from their own (for the most part).

Fourth, the church(es) having no rights? - Not at all. Freedom of religion argues precisely the opposite. People are entitled to set up any church anywhere they desire provided they meet the tax requirements of the State.
    ...to preach the Gospel everywhere, willing or nilling any state authority, and so to secure the rights of its members among the subjects of any civil polity whatever. The Church has the right to govern her subjects wherever found, declaring for them moral right and wrong, restricting any such use of their rights as might jeopardize their eternal welfare, conferring purely ecclesiastical rights, acquiring and holding property herself, and empowering her subordinate associations to do the same--all within the limits of the requirements of her triple purpose, as laid down by the Divine Positive Law, of preserving the internal order of faith and morals and its external manifestation, of providing adequate means of sanctification for her members, and of caring for Divine worship, and over all bound by the eternal principles of integrity and justice declared in the natural and positive Law of God.
    In all purely temporal subject-matter, so long as it remains such, the jurisdiction of the State over its own subjects stands not only supreme, but, as far as the Church is concerned, alone. Purely temporal matter is that which has a necessary relation of help or hindrance to man's temporal happiness, the ultimate end of civil society or the State, in such wise that it is at the same time indifferent in itself as a help or hindrance to man's eternal happiness.

The right to preach the Gospel everywhere - Of course I am in favour of this.

To secure the rights of its members - Not just its own members, but the rights of all mankind. Christians should care about all people, not just people who are Christians. This is what the problem is with seeking extra privileges that other people don't have. It causes resentment.

The RCC has the right to govern its subjects? - Who are the RCC's subjects? Roman Catholics? Or everyone? I don't believe the RCC has any jurisdiction over me. God, and then the State do.

Please clarify the sources of these quotes so I can look at them in a more complete manner.
    The age of the catholic State may be over for now, but I still dream of the day when we shall see The United Catholic Kingdom of Britain and Ireland, with the old wounds long healed and all the citizens (individually and collectively) won over to the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

And I could long for the imposition of Al-Sharia and the expansion of the Caliphate, but alas you would consider this invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Jester Minute said:
    The Catholic State is the ideal It is a state where temporal affairs are arranged in the best way according to Christian principals. The Second Vatican Council (imho) recognised that the age of the Catholic State is basically over and that we need to do things a little differently in this modern period we currently live in. But the Catholic State remains the ideal. The ideal is that a country is won over by the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the citizens then order society in the very best way to attain heaven whilst living in the world.
    How much of the historic 'Catholic State' do you see as ideal? Banning contraception? Burning heretics?
    The age of the catholic State may be over for now, but I still dream of the day when we shall see The United Catholic Kingdom of Britain and Ireland, with the old wounds long healed and all the citizens (individually and collectively) won over to the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
    It could well happen. The struggle for power is between the atheists, the Muslims and the RCs. The CoE and the mainline denominations are under the control of the atheists, as are the political parties - but Catholicism is still a big minority in the CoE and the parties. Islam is the dark horse, its small size being compensated by its zeal and ruthlessness. Protestantism is almost non-existent as a power in the land.

I see Ian Paisley has given a possible starting point for your dream: :D
    Speaking in the Lords today, Ian Paisley senior came out in favour of a United Ireland. Another astonishing stage in the Big Man's evolution? Well not quite....Lord Bannside expressed his support for reunification under the British crown.

Referring to a letter in the Irish Independent in which the writer "invited Her Majesty
    to come over and take the whole of Ireland under her control", the former DUP leader went on: "I am not going to throw such a bomb as that into the House today. But it's a very good thought and, if we all came together with Her Majesty at our head, I think we would do very well."

Presumably referring to the Battle of the Boyne he added "another king did that at a certain famous watering place that I will not mention here today."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markdevenport/2010/11/32_county_paisley.html

BTW, do you accept that the pope has dominion over Ireland and may subject it to any political power/nation he pleases?
    In another work, the Metalogicus, this writer says:

At my solicitation [ad preces meas] he gave and granted Hibernia to Henry II, the illustrious King of England, to hold by hereditary right as his letter [which is extant] to this day testifies. For all islands of ancient right, according to the Donation of Constantine, are said to belong to the Roman Church, which he founded. He sent also by me a ring of gold, with the best of emeralds set therein, wherewith the investiture might be made for his governorship of Ireland, and that same ring was ordered to be and is still in the public treasury of the King.

The Donation of Adrian was subsequently recognized in many official writings, and the Pope for more than four centuries claimed the overlordship of Ireland In 1318 (1317?) Domhnall O'Neill and other kings and chieftains, and the whole laity of Ireland, forwarded to Pope John XXII a letter of appeal and protest. They state in the letter that Pope Adrian, induced by false representations, granted Ireland to Henry II, and enclose a copy of the Bull which the context shows was Laudabiliter. On 30 May, 1318, the Pope wrote from Avignon a letter of paternal advice to Edward II, urging him to redress the grievances of the Irish, and enclosed O'Neill's letters and "a copy of the grant which Pope Adrian is said to have made to Henry II." Edward II did not deny that he held under that grant. By an Act of the Irish Parliament (Parliament Roll, 7th Edward IV, Ann. 1467), after reciting that "as our Holy Father Adrian, Pope of Rome, was possessed of all sovereignty of Ireland in his demesne as of fee in the right of his Church of Rome, and with the intent that vice should be subdued had alienated the said land to the King of England . . . by which grant the said subjects of Ireland owe their allegiance to the King of England as their sovereign Lord", it was enacted "that all archbishops and bishops shall excommunicate all disobedient Irish subjects, and if they neglect to do so they shall forfeit £100." In 1555, by a consistorial decree followed by a Bull, Paul IV, on the humble supplication of Philip and Mary, erected into a kingdom the Island of Hibernia, of which, from the time that the kings of England obtained the dominion of it through the Apostolic See, they had merely called themselves Lords (Domini), without prejudice to the rights of the Roman Church and of any other person claiming to have right in it or to it. [Bull. Rom (ed. Turin.) VI, 489, 490.] In 1570 the Irish had offered or were about to offer the kingship of Ireland to Philip of Spain. The Archbishop of Cashel acted as their envoy. The project was communicated to the Pope through Cardinal Alciato, who wrote to the Archbishop of Cashel (9 June, 1570):

His Holiness was astonished that anything of the kind should be attempted without his authority since it was easy to remember that the kingdom of Ireland belonged to the dominion of the Church, was held as a fief under it, and could not therefore, unless by the Pope, be subjected to any new ruler. And the Pope, that the right of the Church may be preserved as it should be, says he will not give the letters you ask for the King of Spain. But if the King of Spain himself were to ask for the fief of that Kingdom in my opinion the Pope would not refuse. (Spicil. Ossor., ed. Card. Moran, I, 69).

In conclusion there is not in my judgment any controverted matter in history about which the evidence preponderates in favour of one view so decisively as about the Donation of Adrian.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01156c.htm

It could well happen. The struggle for power is between the atheists, the Muslims and the RCs. The CoE and the mainline denominations are under the control of the atheists, as are the political parties - but Catholicism is still a big minority in the CoE and the parties. Islam is the dark horse, its small size being compensated by its zeal and ruthlessness. Protestantism is almost non-existent as a power in the land.

I see Ian Paisley has given a possible starting point for your dream: :D
    Speaking in the Lords today, Ian Paisley senior came out in favour of a United Ireland. Another astonishing stage in the Big Man's evolution? Well not quite....Lord Bannside expressed his support for reunification under the British crown.

Referring to a letter in the Irish Independent in which the writer "invited Her Majesty
    to come over and take the whole of Ireland under her control", the former DUP leader went on: "I am not going to throw such a bomb as that into the House today. But it's a very good thought and, if we all came together with Her Majesty at our head, I think we would do very well."
    That Paisley quote made my day. See, he's not such a bad critter after all!

Ireland is united with Britain, and King William converts to Catholicism! Bingo!:D

Catholics need to stop contracepting and aborting. If they don't, God will use Islam to persecute the Church.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Please clarify the sources of these quotes so I can look at them in a more complete manner.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14250c.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I call Poe's Law on Jester.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

All I'm saying there is that residual elements of our Christian national heritage are likely to disappear altogether, as that is part of the atheist agenda.

How many atheists are in the current British government?

Again you seem to be confusing secularism with atheism. A Christian does not have to take a job that requires work on Sunday. But why would the government prevent a Muslim from working on Sunday if he wanted to? Do you think the government should be telling the Muslim he is wrong, he picked the wrong religion, actually he should be Christian? And do you really not see how other Christians would think that isn't a particularly good idea (would you like the government telling you that you shouldn't be going to mass on Sunday, that actually you picked the wrong religion you should have picked Islam?).

You'll probably find they were bullied or offered sweeties for voting for it. Ireland has a recent history of that sort of thing.

Yes, traditionally Ireland has been very anti-Catholic :rolleyes:

Like Wolfsbane you seem to have a hard time seeing why a Christian would think secularism is a good thing.

Maybe if we ever get a government made up largely of Muslims you will think "Dang, I'm glad we have that secular constitution, no way am I fasting for ramadan"

My religion prevents me working weekdays. I think it is totally unfair that I keep getting turned down for office jobs, you know the ones that require me to work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. I'm going to take a case against the companies that refuse to hire me for religious discrimination. I'll let you know how that works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wicknight wrote: »
    How many atheists are in the current British government?

In terms of leadership of the parties - Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg.

In terms of leadership of the parties - Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg.

Which is far few many to be behind an "atheist agenda", so my question to Wolfsbane is what the heck is he talking about?

Advertisement