Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Politics

Options
  • 15-11-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'd like to dispute my permanent ban from the Politics section for "trolling".

Apparently arguing in favour of Sinn Féin is frowned upon on this forum.

The mod was Scofflaw, somebody whose impartiality and abuse of powers has been questioned before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056081595

The thread descended into people throwing around a few snide remarks yet apparently people on the opposing side did not receive bans.

A little impartiality would be nice - and a Perma-ban without a warning first seems ridiculous.

Especially for a throwaway comment like "Are you still wearing your poppy" following a huge attack and slagging/distorting of a story regarding Sinn Féin.

Thanks
    Your beloved 25-Star General
    Zapp Brannigan

Zapportrait.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Reposted from the PM I sent Z Brannigan in response to his query about being banned:
    Hi,

I have no politics in respect of NI, really. What I noted was a user who was making very bald statements that were bound to get a reaction from the people on the "other side", in such a way that, rather than furthering debate, they served only to antagonise and annoy. That seems like a reasonable definition of trolling to me.

It's worth bearing in mind that no poster has access to any part of boards by right - the ability to post is always contingent on contributing positively to debate. While that inevitably involves some friction, when someone's aim appears to be simply to combat and antagonise people with opposing views, we've moved beyond that. For the benefit of discussion in the forum, those people have their posting privileges revoked - most of them, assume, as you have done, that there's some form of political axe being ground, which is never a good sign, since it means that the best we can hope for is that they'll tone down their antagonism a bit in the hopes of passing under the radar - their intentions, of using the forum as a place to combat their ideological opponents, remains unchanged.

All I can suggest to you is that there is a dispute resolution procedure via the DR forum under Help Desk, or that you apply after some reasonable period of time to have the ban revoked. In the latter case, a posting record elsewhere on boards showing a lack of that same antagonism is a great help.

A permaban without warning may seem harsh, but it's not a permaban without review. The poster's posting record on Politics consists of virtually nothing but attacking people who post anything against Sinn Fein. The bald statements in question include:

1. in respect of Irish people wearing a poppy:
    They wouldn't.

Or any Irish woman for that matter.

Only unionists, west Brits and Fine Gaelers wear them - and they can hardly be considered true Irish people anyway.

2. in respect of unionists:
    Their "culture" consists of marching through communities where they are not wanted while celebrating the killing of people from said communities.

Speaking in a Glasgow accent and claiming it's a language while opposing funding to actual languages.

Organising "Save Ulster from Sodomy" protests and events to remember those who died giving their lives for the "freedom of small nations (except Ireland)".

Painting curbstones in what appears to be the French flag á la "Bonjour, Bienvenue to Rue Shankill".

Some boyos.
    I know it's hard for unionists to accept that Irish people have a culture of their own while your lot have nothing, but you don't have to be so petty about it.

3. on the McCabe killing:
    McCabe himself was murderer and had attempted to draw his weapon and interfere with an IRA operation. Probably realising who the individual officer was and knowing he had been involved in a killing before, along with wanting to defend themselves, the men decided that the best course of action was to fire.

And so on. The forum has plenty of posters who can defend the republican cause without resorting to this kind of "in your face" approach - and as it is, the regular outbreaks of trench warfare require a lot of moderation. As I said, if Z Brannigan can calm down a bit, take a productive approach to discussions, and contribute more than naked antagonism to the forum, I'm perfectly willing to review the ban. Until such time, I don't consider that allowing him access is of any value.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement