Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a computer_Help Please

Options
  • 15-11-2010 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I have bought the following items and are having them put to getter by a computer guy. But just doing some research before I drop the gear off to him. Encase I am missing anything

· ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket-AM3
    · AMD Black Edition - Processor - 1 x AMD Phenom II X6 1090T / 3.2 GHz - Socket AM3
    · NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics Card, 1GB GDDR5
    · WD Velociraptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000RPM HDD (2of these)

Missing the ram at the moment. Still trying to source. Thinking something like Corsair, Crucial or Kingston DDR3 1600Mhz 4GB(Dual channel) maybe even 8B if I can get the right deal.

My questions are, do I need specific PSU to run the above? Any advice on PSU and Ram?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved to Building & Upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RAM you want to be specific. ASUS has a PDF on the motherboard that lists all Supported (Warranty-Valid) Modules: the QVL Memory article

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=M4A89GTD%20PRO/USB3&os=29&SLanguage=en-us

No specific PSU but why would you get a Nvidia card with a Crossfire board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Crosier

No specific PSU but why would you get a Nvidia card with a Crossfire board?

Cheers for the reply.

Excuse the question if its a silly one, but what do you mean? have I messed up buying the GTX460 GPU and the Asus Pro motherboard?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You are basically paying for extra features on the motherboard that you won't be able to use. Also the Velociraptor hard drives are a total ripoff. You are much better off getting a Solid State + normal drive for storage. Apart from that though, all the stuff will work together, its just you are paying more than you need to.

deconduo wrote: »
    You are basically paying for extra features on the motherboard that you won't be able to use. Also the Velociraptor hard drives are a total ripoff. You are much better off getting a Solid State + normal drive for storage. Apart from that though, all the stuff will work together, its just you are paying more than you need to.

Got both of the Velociraptors for €160, not too bad.

Sorry can you elaborate on the mother board GPU issue please. Im a bit wet behind the ear when it comes to building machines.

I was trying to save a few quid by buying the parts and not letting the computer guy get them.

Thanks for your advice so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You are paying extra for onboard graphics and x8/x8 crossfire which you don't really need if you are getting a GTX460

Ahh, I get you now. Cheers for explaining

Advertisement