Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG newborns

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

HI Everyone

My baby was born 4kg and 57cm long. on Saturday he will be 4 months old and he is already 7.5kg and 66cm long.
    I'm worried because soon we will have to change car seat from 9kg up, and we have isofix base.
    How do you manage with big babies? whet car seats can you get appropirate for still young babies.

I would appreciate your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Our first carseat is up to 13kg. James is 11kg now. He hasn't put on any weight in the last month but he's still 99th centile weight for age :eek:

The most rapid weight gain time is the first 6 months and it slows after that. I think you will be surprised!

James was 4kg at birth as well.

I have the second carseat in the attic for him but I haven't put him in it yet. I'd say he will be in it in the next few weeks though. He's starting to seem strong enough for me to do it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What kind of car seat is it?
    The maxi cosci cabrio fix is up to 13kg and going on height I reckon 78/80cm
    It should be ok for another long while.

When I saw the topic I was expecting a thread about 12lb babys, 8-9lb is considered normal weight now a days:)

My baby was 58cm born and 68 at her 7-9month check up,she was in it until about 16 months.

Pretty sure the law state that the child must be rear facing until 9 months but it is recommended to keep them rear facing for as long as possible.

example of a rearfacing bigger seat - http://www.securatot.co.uk/besafe-izi-combi-isofix using this example because it is the one we got,she is 22 months and has only ever known rear facing so loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You should keep your baby rearward facing for as long as possible. As long as your baby's head is still 'within' the car seat then leave babs in it. We've only just put Megan forward facing at 10 months and thats only because she was really starting to dislike no being able to see. She was also 4kg at birth and has always been super long (95th percentile for height)

The Isofix is the safest way of securing your baby's car seat and we found our little lady still fits comfortably into her Maxi Cosi.

The bigger seat we are using is the Maxi Cosi Axiss which reclines so she can still sit comfortably and it also has lovely cusions around her head which look so comfy :)

Anyone else sometimes wish they were a baby again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I found priorifix car seat for isofix base. its from 9kg up
    I am concerned because he really grew alot :) even doctor was suprised :)

anyhow, I'm thinking of new car seat because he isn't comfortable in maxi cosi anymore, especially in winter suit. its just to small

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Try not to move her until she's at least 9 months ani_mal. Their neck muscles need to be strong to be in a forward facing seat.

Most of the first car seats go to 13kg, the forward facing ones start at 9kg but that's to accommodate older babies that might be light.

Another thing I was told was not to put them into a carseat wearing a snowsuit as you can't strap them as securely, I don't know how true that is. I try to strap James in and put a blanket over him then transfer him to his snowsuit/coat as I'm taking him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

MY first was 4.110 kg (9lb 1 oz)

My 3rd was 4.053kg (8lb 15oz)

I used a car seat for 0-4 years for the first and the same for the 3rd, at 3 the first lady was in a booster seat as she was too big for the 0-4 car seat.

At 15 months we put our 3rd guy into an evolva 123,

*the 2nd guy was 5 weeks premature and was 3.345 kg (7lb 6oz)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

I used the Concord Ultimax for my little one. Its a bit wider than the Maxi cosi and when he got too big for it I just had to switch it around to make in to the next stage carseat. Try and leave her rear facing as long as possible but if her head is over the top its time to change her to forward facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

ani_mal wrote: »
    HI Everyone

My baby was born 4kg and 57cm long. on Saturday he will be 4 months old and he is already 7.5kg and 66cm long.
    I'm worried because soon we will have to change car seat from 9kg up, and we have isofix base.
    How do you manage with big babies? whet car seats can you get appropirate for still young babies.

I would appreciate your help.

Hi Ani_mal,

I know exactly what you are talking about. Our little man was born 4,18 Kg and 55,5 cm. He is going to turn 8 months on the 4th of Dec and he is 8,2kg heavy and 76 cm long...
    He is no longer comfortable in the baby car seat and as he is very strong baby he is able to pull himself up and does all sorts of tricks in the small seat..
    There is one seat from Maxi Cosi.. its called Opal (http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ie-en/carseats/baby/Opal_baby) .. you can have it rear facing until the baby get strong and then you can turn it frward facing. I know seams a bit weird but those seats are used the most in Europe (not in IRL and England). The seat is not an Isofix seat but when fited in the car properly it wont move and you can keep your baby in it until 3,5 years.. Its the best padded seat from Maxi Cosi as its suitable from birth and I really think its worth to have a look at if you are not 100% set on Isofix seat. There is an infant insert to it which you use until is your baby big enough. The seat can be narrowed down or widen up with a twisty thingy on the front. They have it in Mothercare in case you want to have a look.

Elle13 wrote: »
    Hi Ani_mal,

I know exactly what you are talking about. Our little man was born 4,18 Kg and 55,5 cm. He is going to turn 8 months on the 4th of Dec and he is 8,2kg heavy and 76 cm long...
    He is no longer comfortable in the baby car seat and as he is very strong baby he is able to pull himself up and does all sorts of tricks in the small seat..

Yeah
    my son is 4 months and is already 67cm long and 7,700kg so I don't know what to do. I might have to contact some car seat producer and ask them what do they suggest.
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

My DS was 4.25kg :eek: he is 7 half months now and I still have him in his carry tot but he is defo too big now as his feet are tight against the car seat. Although the carry tot is supposed to suit up to 15mths!!!!!

I will be putting him into a front facing car seat this week. Oh they grow up so fast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

omg please dont put your 4 month old child into a forward facing seat!!!!

Have a look at the britax first class carseat, its suitable from birth to 13kg rearward and up to 18kg forward. Retails around 170 but can get as cheap as 120 on sale.

Also the maxi cosi opal is also suitable from birth to 18kg. This however retails at 270.

As a person who works in a baby shop and fits quite a few carseats on a daily basis, i cant stress this enough. The rule is baby has to be 9kg and sitting up unaided to go forward facing and should stay rearward for as long as possible.

ches as cruel as it sounds if you go into any baby shop they will tell you the childs legs dont matter. when there eyeline are level with the top of the carrytot its time to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

My wee man was 12lb born, 5.5Kg! He was 6mths old when we had to change to forward dacing car-seat, went for a maxi-cosy. We simply had no choice, the belt wouldn't even close on him any more in the baby carrier!

Pity that manufacturers won't think of big babies :) We can hardly squueze our son into maxi cosi, especially with jacket on, he can't move and it breaks my heart. We decided to buy new car seat after Christmas, and we were looking at priori maxi cosi and tobi, but also on pearl. Price doesn't matter, he has to be safe but car seat has to fit into nissan micra :( shorter seat belt and not much space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Jackets and snowsuits are not safe for use in carseats, in cars anyway, the child can slip around inside them and not be in a safe position if a crash happens.
    Here is a good article on how to guage it: http://community.babycenter.com/post/a24646541/carseats_and_winter_jacketssnowsuits
    Here is a test you can do to see if your coat/snowsuit will work safely in the carseat...
    Check All Winter Coats for Car Seat Safety
    It's easy to check and see whether a baby's winter coat or infant snowsuit is too thick to be safe in a car seat. This test will show you how thick the coat is and how much the coat will compress during a crash.
    Take the car seat into the house.
    Put the winter coat or snowsuit on the child.
    Put the child in the car seat and buckle the harnesses as you normally would before car travel. Adjust the straps to the appropriate fit for your child.
    Take the child out of the car seat without loosening the straps at all.
    Take the coat off your child.
    Put the child back in the car seat and buckle the harnesses again, but do not tighten the straps.
    If you can fit more than two fingers under the harness at the child's shoulder bone, the coat is too thick and is not safe for use with the car seat.

lynski wrote: »
    Jackets and snowsuits are not safe for use in carseats, in cars anyway, the child can slip around inside them and not be in a safe position if a crash happens.

maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact the baby is big anyway and growing quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I got a sleeping bag thing in TK Max that had special holes in the back to fit car seat straps, similiar to a muff for a buggy, it was a lifesaver, meant I could strap baby in under all the layers, safe and cosy! :D

both maxi cosi and britax have a fitting guide on there websites. britax are best for tellin you what will fit you car as they have tested 99% of cars around. check em out, or failing that go to mothercare in mahon point and they wil be happy to test a few seats out for you

I know that I dont like.. worse I hate car seats that are fir with seat belt AROUND the car seat.. I prefer isofix bases and seat belt going onder the car seat.

We decided to choose between 3 Maxi cosi tobi or priri and britax. Need to only make sure they fit nissan micra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

This might be an alternative either for bigger babies;

http://www.carseat.se/store.html

I have the Britax Hi Way & find its a lovely spacious seat, very comfy - yet fits into smaller cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement