Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection for a Group

• 15-11-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Had a question hopefully someone can help out with. I've been trawling the dataprotection.ie website and have come out more confused than before browsing it.

I'm part of a non-profit group (a peer support group to be a little more detailed) that aims to help people with getting started in business. Now, we ourselves are only at the startup stage, thus my questions.

We'll be signing people up as members and storing some data on them, to be exact, contact details, business type, what they hope to achieve from the group. For this level of information would we be required to register with the data protection commissioner ?

These details will be held electronically and on paper, we plan to send a weekly/monthly email for the group (yet to be decided on frequency), which will be "opt in" rather than "opt out".

Thanks for any info or help.

-Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Had a question hopefully someone can help out with. I've been trawling the dataprotection.ie website and have come out more confused than before browsing it.

I'm part of a non-profit group (a peer support group to be a little more detailed) that aims to help people with getting started in business. Now, we ourselves are only at the startup stage, thus my questions.

We'll be signing people up as members and storing some data on them, to be exact, contact details, business type, what they hope to achieve from the group. For this level of information would we be required to register with the data protection commissioner ?

These details will be held electronically and on paper, we plan to send a weekly/monthly email for the group (yet to be decided on frequency), which will be "opt in" rather than "opt out".

Thanks for any info or help.

-Rob

I would say almost certainly. Actually definetly. I ran a business and also had to sign up and what your doing is undoubtly falls into the criteria of data protection..

When i registered; it was it was 25 pounds. They will run through what you have to do. You will have to learn at the very least their guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

You would have a legal obligation to comply with the data protection acts. Whether or not you need to register with the data protection commissioner's office is a separate matter.
    There is guidance on their website regarding which category of data controller need to register - you can also call the office and they are very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Thanks for the above replies guys. I actually did call them this morning and got the opposite of what I was expecting. They were very prompt, helpful and polite.

Turns out, as we are not holding sensitive data and are a non-profit group, we are not obliged to register with the commissioner.

However as we will be holding the information, we will hold it securely (encrypted).

Thanks again for the help.

-Rob

Advertisement