Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you decide??

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I really want a tattoo, I know that. But unfortuntly thats all I know!! I don't want to rush into something and be disappointed and regret it but how do i decide what to get and where it sould go??!!! I want it to be meaningfull, discreet and pretty! is that too tall an order?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

visit a few place and go through the books to get an idea of what you want. talk to the artists as well and see if they recommend anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's something that you have to decide on yourself, as if the tattoo does not hold any meaning for you whatsoever, then there's a much higher chance that you'll end up regretting it. Spend time thinking about what you would like to have tattooed on you, what you would like it to represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

look at tattoo websites, and call into studios to look through books for inspiration. I've spent a lot of time trawling through images online to decide on what I want...but ya kinda need a starting point. At some point something will jump out at you that you just love. My last few tattoos have been a couple of years in my mind before they went onto skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 phoenix39

Thanks for all the advice people! I've been having a look at a few websites already, flower tattoos keep catching my eye, so think i might start to narrow my seacrh a bit with that in mind. Does anyone know any books or websites that explain the meanings/ or what different flowers symbolise??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ordinarywoman

as a tattoo artist myself i spent years going thru mags, and the net and book, plus i would have a collection of flash for the business, i have chosen and rechosen. to much choice is the problem.

What i do now is get an idea of what i want and then have a discussion of what i want and want it to represent with my artist(if i cant do it myself)my artist knows me well so he usually draw what i want and we tweak it together.

It depends on what you are looking for in the experience. If you dont mind the bustle of a shop, or something a little bit more private, but chose your artist very carefully as irish artists are unregulated...but anyone tattooing should have an autoclave(for steralization of instruments)sign either in the shop or on their add, and you should see them taking tattoo machine parts out of sealed and steralized packs.if you dont see these things run a mile.
    have a good look thru your artists portfolio, there is some really brilliant talent out there these days...but experience is huge bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

http://www.livingartsoriginals.com/infoflowersymbolism.htm

I googled "flower symbolism" :D

I got my first tattoo by myself, after a lot of humming and hawing, appointments made that I didn't go to (glad I didn't now, and get something where I didn't want it!) It took two hours, I told nobody til afterwards and it was awesome! The adrenalin rush was amazing.

The second one I got at the Dublin Tattoo Convention on impulse 2 years ago... I regret it in a way, I have an ugly ankle.. sometimes I think that. Sometimes I just try and not think about the fact that I hate it...

I'd hate anyone to feel that way about something that should have meaning and you should look at, and love. Like my first one - I look at it when I remember I have it and I always think back to that part of my life, and how I did it because I was changing and it makes me swell with memories and happiness. Might sound overrated but, it feels good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Really,really take your time. Tattoo in haste repent at leisure. Do your research. Make sure the tattoo is unique to you and has personal meaning and significance. Make sure you research your artist fully and make sure you like them personally.

I've recently had a lot of work done and, spent a fair few hours in a studio, I was amazed by the amount of people coming through the door looking for cover-up work on foot of ill-advised tattoos which "seemed a good idea at the time". Tattooing is a massively subjective thing of course and one mans meat is another's poison, but what I'd counsel is to go for a traditional established style of tattooing with heritage and history behind it and find an artist who has invested in that area and understands it. Japanese, polynesian etc....these are timeless styles/forms with long history which will never go out of 'fashion'...but thats just my two cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 phoenix39

Thats great advice thanks!!! I'm thinking of going down the japanese cherry or plum blossom route, think i need to put a bit more thought into it though and where to put it will be a whole new battle!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vegasnikki

I would love to place a tattoo. But no idea for how and where to put? I prefer for a very small butterfly kind of tattoo on my left arm...how would that be????

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

i got my first tattoo in September, i have been drawing and redrawing it since i was 15ish... (thats 6 years) I just wanted to make sure that its something I wont regret and I know I wont...

Don't rush into it, and don't get it somewhere you might regret...

a friend of mine has an awful black rose on his forearm because, he turned 18 and wanted a tattoo... he's now 34 and hates it more with everyday!

I'm not trying to put ya off, but make sure it means something, cause if it doesnt and you end up hating it it's a loss, but at least if it means something and one day you dont like the picture any more at least you know there's more to the art than meets the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

I've wanted to get a tattoo since I was about 15 but I could never sit on one thing. I was constantly changing and so was my taste. Until about a year and a half ago when I finally settled on an idea which I'm now going to get done once I find the artist. I don't think you need to rush into getting a tattoo if you really want one. Once you find the design that suits you wait awhile and think about it, one friend suggested I get the design drawn up and stick it on my bedroom wall and if after a few months I still liked it they figured I'd like the tattoo. I didn't go that far but having the same idea in my head for so long and not changing it tells me it's the right one, plus it really suits me and my personality which is the most important aspect I think - the design needs to mean something to me otherwise for me there's no point in getting a tattoo.

Anyway that's my two cents and I do hope you find the right design but I would definitely say take your time and don't rush into anything, make sure it feels right for you and then go about finding the right artist :-)

Advertisement