Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright Orange Light in the sky

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

In the last 10 to 15 minutes a bright orange light in the sky travelled from the Swords direction out towards Malahide.
    It was a constant orange glow (Not like the flashing lights on an plane or helicopter!)

Did anyone else see it & what was it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Another Chinese Lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

In the last 10 to 15 minutes a bright orange light in the sky travelled from the Swords direction out towards Malahide.
    It was a constant orange glow (Not like the flashing lights on an plane or helicopter!)

Most likely a Chinese lantern by the way you've described it but could you post a photo or video clip to confirm it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Not a Chinese Lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Saw the same thing east of Carlow town at 18:20 last night.
    Grimes, I must say it did look like a Chinese lantern, there were 2 points of light on above the other. We had them at a Halloween party a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Padwan

I saw lights moving in the sky last night after a power cut in Santry at 22:35. Shortly afterwards a dark grey triangle passed overhead quite high up and had 3 lights in each corner and 3 lights running sequentially across the middle of its body. I have been on the internet all day hoping to see another report of this. I discovered this post and just joined boards.ie to reply to this. I sound like a loon but thats what I saw. It was most definitely mechanical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kalie

I saw the same thing but around this time last year, and it wasn't a lantern. It was a dull orange colour, but was bright. In the same area from swords to malahide. I've seen enought lanterns to know what one looks like and this looked nothing like one and it moved differently. Would love to know what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Google "Sky" View.

Okay so what exactly was different to this then a regular chinese lantern?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

It was a chinese lantern, JC's is still selling them cheap!!! How many people are still getting fooled by these i thought that after the amount we saw at halloween everyone would know about them by now. Not slagging OP just an observation!! :)

I have to agree with Cerocco, Chinese lanterns are freely available in most local shops these days, pretty much anyone can get there hands on them, its only €20 for 5 if my memory serves me correctly.

I've set off and watch many of Chinese lanterns and on many occasions they have seemed to be 'controlled', its just to do with winds, tempature, air pockets etc.

Its impossible to say what it was withot seeing photo or video evidence but with the ways its been described I think its safe to say it was a Chinese lantern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

T'wouldn't be this yolk, nah?

sun1b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Ziycon wrote: »
    I have to agree with Cerocco, Chinese lanterns, its only €20 for 5 if my memory serves me correctly.
    JCs in swords is selling them €5 for 5.
    We got them but still have them.

Wait for the "Strange lights over Rush" thread next week :D:D:D:D

Yeah, still doesn't explain what I saw though. - see above

Okay so what exactly was different to this then a regular chinese lantern?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

that would be the sun my freind

A dark grey triangle passed me overhead it was enormous and very high up. It had 3 lights in each corner and 3 lights running sequentially across the middle of its body. I live beside the airport and work in the airport, I know every aircraft that flies into dublin airport and none of them are shaped like an triangle with equal size dimensions. The sky was completely clear and it made no sound. It wasn't a light in the sky it was a aircraft of some sort, I know this because I saw the shape of the craft not just 3 lights shaped like a triangle.

PS I am/was a cynic

Dublin airport?

Yes sorry Dublin Airport. The sighting was in Santry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Padwan wrote: »
    A dark grey triangle passed me overhead it was enormous and very high up. It had 3 lights in each corner and 3 lights running sequentially across the middle of its body. I live beside the airport and work in the airport, I know every aircraft that flies into dublin airport and none of them are shaped like an triangle with equal size dimensions. The sky was completely clear and it made no sound. It wasn't a light in the sky it was a aircraft of some sort, I know this because I saw the shape of the craft not just 3 lights shaped like a triangle.

PS I am/was a cynic

I would love to say WOW really, but without a photo / video its just thah, a statement from somebody with 3 posts on a notice board.
    Not looking good!

Well if I had a photo/video I wouldn't be on boards.ie, I would have some news worthy footage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Padwan wrote: »
    Well if I had a photo/video I wouldn't be on boards.ie, I would have some news worthy footage.

Damn thats a pity so.

Anyother info for us? What size did you estimate the object? How long did you observe it? Did it just appear and disappear or did it fly in and fly out? ya know?

I noticed the lights in the sky coming towards me and kept watching as i had seen lights move previous to this. As they got closer i could make out the object (it was a darker shade to the sky and was a solid colour). When directly overhead I could cee the entire bottom of the object and saw the 3 running sequential lights in the middle. It then passed over the building (i was on the balcony)and out of view and did not fade out as my girlfriend wrote in this report

http://www.ufoi.org/forum/index.php?topic=121.msg413;topicseen#new

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have you posted this in aviation, to see if they would know what craft that could be?

Oh, and the next person to take the mick with an 'it was the sun' comment will get a lovely glowing red card to observe.

No I havnt we rang the Gardai but they thought we were prank calling or just were not concerned. I suppose the next step would be to call the IAA but I know a thing or two about aircraft as I work in the airport as previously mentioned. There are no triangular aircrafts. Even the US stealth fighter is not perfectly triangular. Iwas extremely freaked out when I saw it...in Dublin of all places !

Can you check with ATC, as you work in the airport you might know someone that can tell you if anything strange was caught on radar etc? If its as big as you let on it would most defiantly have left some trace on radar.

All authorities have been contacted,awaiting replies...

Ziycon wrote: »
    Can you check with ATC, as you work in the airport you might know someone that can tell you if anything strange was caught on radar etc? If its as big as you let on it would most defiantly have left some trace on radar.

unless it was a stealth bomber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

It's meteor debris hitting the earths atmosphere. I read about it online today - just can't find the article now. :mad:
    I read that they will be most visible after 12.00 tonight, and yes, you may see some 'fireballs'.

EDIT - found it http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/shooting-stars-to-be-seen-tonight-482140.html

That may explain the lights...not the rest. Thanks for the info, in will be watching tonight and wouldn't want to mistake meteorites for anything else

• Advertisement

I cant see how anyone could mistake a meteor for a craft of some type. Meteors are fairly distinctive.

Advertisement