Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs With no beer

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there people , have a young fella that is really interested in music and the guitar , would love to bring him to a cracking gig but all the good stuff seems to be in pubs , Roisin etc
    all advice accepted !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sometimes there's gigs in The Town Hall, Druid theatre, Javas, and at Cafe 8 at the Museum. All these serve booze of some sort, but are not booze-centric things.

We had mentioned a non-pub centered 'what's happening' but it branched off into too many things. A friend of a friend was going to run an open mic in a cafe in town, but there just wasn't the turnover to make it viable to keep open in the eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

There's a music forum called http://www.screamformegalway.proboards.com and there are lads on it who organise all ages gigs (i.e. no booze). It would be a good place to start, it is mostly punk/rock/metal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hey there people , have a young fella that is really interested in music and the guitar , would love to bring him to a cracking gig but all the good stuff seems to be in pubs , Roisin etc
    all advice accepted !!!

How young? If he's not much underage then you could always go into the Roisin or whatever before 9, and depending on the gig/crowd they might not say owt.
    Check out Preston Reed playing in the Roisin on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say Town Hall gigs are not beer focused
    http://www.tht.ie/november

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You could get a kid into Campbells Tavern out by Headford they have some great musicians play there like Andy McKee. It's such an out of the way place and in a small town so kids can usually get in. But if your trying to shield him from drink then I don't know.

I was recently in San Diego at a gig and they had a drinking and non-drinking section which I thought was a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You could get a kid into Campbells Tavern out by Headford they have some great musicians play there like Andy McKee. It's such an out of the way place and in a small town so kids can usually get in. But if your trying to shield him from drink then I don't know.

I was recently in San Diego at a gig and they had a drinking and non-drinking section which I thought was a great idea.

Cool section and gomie section imo.

yeehaw wrote: »
    Cool section and gomie section imo.

Which is which in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What kind of music are you/he in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Definitely get in contact with http://www.screamformegalway.proboards.com/ Just sign up and check out the local gig info.
    I go to their gigs all the time, but there's not that many all agers which sucks because there is a good underage scene in galway. They're run by such nice genuine people which is rare for gigs! The last gig I was at, was in aras na ngael on a sunday. It has a bar, which was open but it was only older people having a casual beer, I didn't see any underage people drinking.

You never said how old your son is, but there were kids as young as 13, I think, playing.

I've been to many of these gigs and have never witnessed hard drinking, it's always people just having casual pints. Most of the guys that run it don't drink so it's definitely not promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

When I was younger we used to go to a lot of all ages gigs, I think most of them were organised by the Gaf, you know the youth cafe in town? Get in touch with them and see what they can do for you. Most of them were rock/metal and a lot of the bands that played were awful but it was good fun all the same

• Advertisement

The TF in Castlebar seems to get some gigs...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Christy Moore Gigs are no alcohol events due to him being a recovering alcoholic although they are generally on in venues that normally serve alcohol, beware though this doesn't mean that people won't be drunk at them

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

xo.mary wrote: »
    Definitely get in contact with http://www.screamformegalway.proboards.com/ Just sign up and check out the local gig info.
    I go to their gigs all the time, but there's not that many all agers which sucks because there is a good underage scene in galway. They're run by such nice genuine people which is rare for gigs! The last gig I was at, was in aras na ngael on a sunday. It has a bar, which was open but it was only older people having a casual beer, I didn't see any underage people drinking.

You never said how old your son is, but there were kids as young as 13, I think, playing.

I've been to many of these gigs and have never witnessed hard drinking, it's always people just having casual pints. Most of the guys that run it don't drink so it's definitely not promoted.

Cheers (ahem).... probably gonna be another all ages gig on Sat 18th December.

Christy Moore Gigs are no alcohol events due to him being a recovering alcoholic although they are generally on in venues that normally serve alcohol, beware though this doesn't mean that people won't be drunk at them

I don't think this is necessarily true, I was at his gig in the Marquee in Cork last year and drink was being served.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

dantbyhid wrote: »
    Cheers (ahem).... probably gonna be another all ages gig on Sat 18th December.

YAAAAAAAY :D

I don't think this is necessarily true, I was at his gig in the Marquee in Cork last year and drink was being served.

Oh right, I was at two gigs in the Radisson in Galway and the bar was closed for the entire gig, someone told me it was because of the recovering alcoholic thing and it seemed to be a logical enough explanation to me so I just assumed it would apply to all of his gigs, damn my trusting nature:) thanks for correcting me on it

Oh right, I was at two gigs in the Radisson in Galway and the bar was closed for the entire gig, someone told me it was because of the recovering alcoholic thing and it seemed to be a logical enough explanation to me so I just assumed it would apply to all of his gigs, damn my trusting nature:) thanks for correcting me on it

Could still be true in fairness. The Marquee in Cork is a big oul venue. I'd imagine he gets alot more money for playing them and could be flexible. Plus due to the nature of the Venues he's probably less likely to notice the drunks in the Marquee.

It's a nice venue by the way if you've never been.

I have heard it alight about some of his gigs being alcohol free, but as far as I can remember one of the main sponsors of the marquee was Heineken or Carlsberg so I doubt they would allow no drink to be sold.

I'm sure its different for his own personal gigs.

Wompa1 wrote: »

It's a nice venue by the way if you've never been.

I hadn't heard too much about the Marquee before but looking at some of the past line-ups it looks pretty good, I might check out a 2011 gig hopefully it will have more of the same minus the Westlifes etc

I'm sure its different for his own personal gigs.

I hope this is the case as I thought it was a good thing that the bar was closed, not being drunk at a gig for a change made the gig more memorable, a lot of other gigs seem to haze into each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I saw him in the Black Box last year the bar was open before and after but closed during.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Next all ages gig:
    OurFest2.jpg

Advertisement