Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cam Van

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

With the boss two day (Monday 15 Nov around 2 - 3 , head back two town and his i phone with app Trapster went off at back off the cash and carry head to motor park ... there it was up on the path just after Motor park on the bend ...

been told Cops and Minister car are Exempt for this .... time to be come a Minister and lie ....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

extraice wrote: »
    With the boss two day (Monday 15 Nov around 2 - 3 , head back two town and his i phone with app Trapster went off at back off the cash and carry head to motor park ... there it was up on the path just after Motor park on the bend ...

been told Cops and Minister car are Exempt for this .... time to be come a Minister and lie ....

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Any one have an app to translate?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

I thought they weren't going live until midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Any one have an app to translate?

I think he's having a seizure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So there was a Gatso van somewhere near the tuam road side of motorpark??

I think they have something set up between Kilcolgan and Ardrahan aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not sure what to make of this but if you want to discuss speed cams (and I suspect you do) then there is a massive thread in Motors that chats about locations countrywide.
    It also has tips on how to downloads apps for smartphones.

In case someone just wants various locations it's http://www.garda.ie/gosafe.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Would it be a good idea to have a 'Speed Cam Van Spotted' thread. Just to give people the heads up.

Also WTF is the OP talking about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to have a 'Speed Cam Van Spotted' thread. Just to give people the heads up.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Having looked at the areas in Galway where they are going to be ,Headford road round about to the Corrib Great Southern, Kingston to Silverstrand, Western Motors to Carnmore Cross and from the Tuam Road across through Mervue to the Dublin Road I am convinced its a money making exercise how are these dangerous roads. The best way round this is to warn each other by flashing headlights if you see one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Having looked at the areas in Galway where they are going to be ,Headford road round about to the Corrib Great Southern, Kingston to Silverstrand, Western Motors to Carnmore Cross and from the Tuam Road across through Mervue to the Dublin Road I am convinced its a money making exercise how are these dangerous roads. The best way round this is to warn each other by flashing headlights if you see one.

I think this could get you in worse trouble than a speeding fine;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

hiscan wrote: »

Explain how it could you flash after you pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

hiscan wrote: »

It's not an obstruction offence if its a private speed trap and you alert oncoming drivers. They're not Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

soundbyte wrote: »
    It's not an obstruction offence if its a private speed trap and you alert oncoming drivers. They're not Gardaí.

If this is true I retract my statement:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

They are also earmarked the old Dublin road (N6) from Oranmore to Derrydonnell. They couldn't have picked a less dangerous stretch, it's pretty much straight, wide, good surface and I don't recall many bad crashes or deaths on it in my lifetime.

It's a money making racket indeed

Explain how it could you flash after you pass them.

For starters not everyone in Galway reads Boards so it wouldn't become a common thing.

Also as you've already pointed out, the roads where they can appear are marked and not overly extensive. Just stick to the limit on these small stretches or avoid them.

The Renmore/Mervue-Tuam road is more for local traffic, Dublin road can be avoided if you were coming from Terryland side(going out by Dunnes instead of up Bohermore). And going from town-knocknacarra/cappagh you can avoid most of the kingston road one.

I don't have a problem with the locations of any of them, i can recall deaths on two of those stretches(can't think of any of the Mervue one though), my only concern would be getting ticketed for going even a touch over the limit and as opposed to people who are actually speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Funny thing about the Dublin Road zone is many people drive at 60kmh in the 80kmh zone and then stay going 60kmh in the 50kmh zone! Risking getting a fine/points and the overall journey takes longer that way than it would if you drove at exactly the speed limit the whole way.

:rolleyes:

Those of you with Smart phones; Trapster isn't a bad app, and the more people using it, the better the updates. More people using an app like Trapster in the Galway area is probably better than a thread like this; although it's no harm. Trapster is free and legal btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

my only concern would be getting ticketed for going even a touch over the limit and as opposed to people who are actually speeding

Well, apparently if your speedo reads 80, for example, you're *probably* doing around 73.

If u have SatNav or a phone with GPS, have a look at your speed on it. There's usually a 10% differential, which is attributed to tyre wear etc.

If youre interested in more info, have a dig around the motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

rivalius13 wrote: »
    I think he's having a seizure.

I kinda wish that was the case but I suspect not. :(

The yoof, innit

Trapster could be very good given a bit of time to be widely adopted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, apparently if your speedo reads 80, for example, you're *probably* doing around 73.

If u have SatNav or a phone with GPS, have a look at your speed on it. There's usually a 10% differential, which is attributed to tyre wear etc.

If youre interested in more info, have a dig around the motors forum.

I always noticed that with the sat nav, but I wasn't sure which one was the "real" speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If u have SatNav or a phone with GPS, have a look at your speed on it.
    I have GPS on my Nokia and it warns me if I go over the speed limit.
    Very handy, and free too.

The GPS and my speedometer are pretty much always in agreement on my speed but I hear sometimes they can disagree up to 4-5 kph. The GPS doesn't react as quickly as the speedometer but is more accurate when your speed is steady, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

no one is exempt from the speed cameras and you are allowed go 8km over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

hondasam wrote: »
    no one is exempt from the speed cameras and you are allowed go 8km over the limit.

In the UK the Police have a 10% rule as the speed traps have to have a degree of error. I think if memory serves me right that the Police there have had their mobile scanners challenged in court hence the 10%.

It wouldnt be based on a flat rate like that here, 58km in a 50 limit is going to be worse than 128km on the motorway.

On an additional note, will the cameras take a picture of who is driving that will be sent to you when you get the fine and points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Webbs wrote: »
    In the UK the Police have a 10% rule as the speed traps have to have a degree of error. I think if memory serves me right that the Police there have had their mobile scanners challenged in court hence the 10%.

It wouldnt be based on a flat rate like that here, 58km in a 50 limit is going to be worse than 128km on the motorway.

On an additional note, will the cameras take a picture of who is driving that will be sent to you when you get the fine and points?

afaik it is 8km over regardless of the zone but that's not written anywhere. Yes the will take a picture but Im not sure if you automatically get it with the fine. The information is passed to the fcps system and the issue the fines.

hondasam wrote: »
    afaik it is 8km over regardless of the zone but that's not written anywhere.

???

That means it just an unfounded assumption then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

They are also earmarked the old Dublin road (N6) from Oranmore to Derrydonnell. They couldn't have picked a less dangerous stretch, it's pretty much straight, wide, good surface and I don't recall many bad crashes or deaths on it in my lifetime.

It's a money making racket indeed

Are you serious, that Derrydonnell junction has been a death trap and still is, there's also a national school close to there on the main road, the satistics bear it out, slow down and you'll have nothing to complain about! You must be under 2 tears old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Are you serious, that Derrydonnell junction has been a death trap and still is, there's also a national school close to there on the main road, the satistics bear it out, slow down and you'll have nothing to complain about! You must be under 2 tears old
    Less of the rabbling and get your facts right.

If you look at the map the section that is going to be patrolled starts at the roundabout in Oranmore and stops around half a mile before the junction at derrydonnell and the school at Coldwood is another mile at least down the road and that will not be patrolled.

And don't be so presumptious to think that people will slow down for the patrolled secton and then stay driving slow, when they get to know the positions exactly people that will speed up again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Do you want every road broken down to 500 yard streches, it's a short strech of road either way, live with it and slow down!

• Advertisement

There are no exact positions for these things; they are mobile units!! One was seen yesterday in an area not on the Garda map. They can position these things where they like!

Tho apparently only 15 vans are operational as yet. Mostly KY/KK registered vans too it would seem. I'm just about to drive to Cork now so I'll have my eyes peeled for them, and Trapster at the ready:p

Advertisement