Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Library Thread

Options
  • 15-11-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

There is currently 1 [one] regular printer working in the Library.

I would say 'disgraceful' but that word just doesn't cover it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Library1 regularly decides to not work and a massive backlog ensues.
    Lack of printing at weekends is also wholly unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Library1 regularly decides to not work and a massive backlog ensues.
    Lack of printing at weekends is also wholly unacceptable.

*whispers* There are also printers in Venus, Kemmy, Schumann, Fishbulb, Health Sciences and other places I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭pe-cze

There are computer rooms everywhere. And a fishtank.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    *whispers* There are also printers in Venus, Kemmy, Schumann, Fishbulb, Health Sciences and other places I'm sure!

Yes there are, but many of those labs are closed of a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Yes there are, but many of those labs are closed of a weekend

Maybe its time for you to invest in a printer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The crux of the issue is the fact that in a University of some 12,000 students that there is only one working printer in the main Library of that University is beyond a joke.

Being a Fourthie I'm well aware of the various labs around the place [Venus did the job for me last night] but again the issue I have is that the main study/work hub of the University has only 1 working printer is a fecking disgrace tbh.

Has anyone asked why there is only one working? Having worked in the printer/copier selling game, I know the reasons for not having them fixed/replaced is not always straight forward. Especially if contracts are involved with their suppliers.

Chances are the library wouldn't tell you why but its worth a try IMO since its such a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

And bring it with me when I'm doing work in college :O

I'd rather pay for the intermittant, expensive printing in college than have to buy and maintain a printer.

cson wrote: »
    The crux of the issue is the fact that in a University of some 12,000 students that there is only one working printer in the main Library of that University is beyond a joke.

Being a Fourthie I'm well aware of the various labs around the place [Venus did the job for me last night] but again the issue I have is that the main study/work hub of the University has only 1 working printer is a fecking disgrace tbh.

Same story here in McMaster in Canada, main library only has two printers, one of which breaks down every so often. But then they have more of an emphasis on paperless teaching etc here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

CiaranMT wrote: »

Fishbulb?

Why not take your usb to SNAP if its that big a deal, wait and print a little later on, ask a friend to print it for you, or as another poster suggested...BUY A PRINTER?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

constantg wrote: »
    Fishbulb?

Why not take your usb to SNAP if its that big a deal, wait and print a little later on, ask a friend to print it for you, or as another poster suggested...BUY A PRINTER?

Because it's EXPENSIVE!

The printing situation on campus is a JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Do ye realise that once you are logged into a computer on campus, you can send a document to be printed to any computer lab...

Therefore if there is only 1 active printer in the library, and your next lecture is in the KBS for example, then send your document to be printed in one of the labs there, and collect it before the lecture...simple!

Just find the printer, add it, and print!

Good suggestion Mossin, but it seems the people who are aggrieved here suffer from "I need my printouts now!" syndrome otherwise they would have considered previous suggestions to buy their own printer.

I'm sure someone will post a reason not to take up your suggestion.

Mossin wrote: »
    Do ye realise that once you are logged into a computer on campus, you can send a document to be printed to any computer lab...

Therefore if there is only 1 active printer in the library, and your next lecture is in the KBS for example, then send your document to be printed in one of the labs there, and collect it before the lecture...simple!

Just find the printer, add it, and print!

I have indeed done that on occasion.

constantg wrote: »
    Fishbulb?

Fishtank, whichever. I just call it that after the classic Simpson's quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I keep hearing about this famous "Fishtank". Is that the one need the Mathematics department?

I know of the Kate O Brien lab in the A block which is pretty good.

I keep hearing about this famous "Fishtank". Is that the one need the Mathematics department?

I know of the Kate O Brien lab in the A block which is pretty good.

No..its A1086 or something? Just down from red raisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

No..its A1086 or something? Just down from red raisin.

Yup! I can't always print there for some odd reason. And afaik, they lock it at odd hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

So the library's database is down and they don't have an offline version

• Advertisement

bazkennedy wrote: »

Works for me

http://193.1.100.111/TalisPrism/

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

not for me- all the catalog PCs were out of order today, even the staff couldn't check if they had the book i needed

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

bazkennedy wrote: »

Its a closed loop isn't it? The system i mean, its primarily an 'in-house' thing with a link to the proxy servers for off site log in?

Surely its actually EASIER to run an offline version than an online version (fewer connections and complications)???

Advertisement