Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with anime series

Options
  • 15-11-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

So xmas is coming and my daughter is lookin for a new anime series from santa, so far she has watched all the ghibli films most of bleach, cardcapters, full metal panic, witch hunter robin coeboy bebop, beck and some others she probably should't have. Her fav has been full metal panic fumofuu ( not sure how you spell that) so can anybody recommend something for her. Preferably a series in full that I can get on pal from amazon or some other such store. She is only 11 so nothing to wild, I don't mind up to 15 if its not to bad. Anywho I at a loss so any ideas please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I think she might like Fullmetal Alchemist(I assume this is on PAL but a quick search on amazon didn't show any obvious box set results for me) or maybe Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

Cheers she has seen full metal alchemist as well as I have that one myself. I will check out the other one now. Any more keep let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

She might like Vision of Escaflowne too (The series, not the film)

Edit:
    If she likes Fumoffu because of the humour, then she'll probably love K-on!
    Maybe Code Geass
    Aria the animation (gondola riders in neo-venice)
    Banner of the Stars

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

I'll second Vision of Escaflowne, she'll LOVE that.

Sailor Moon is a classic, if you can find it.

School Rumble is a romantic comedy, it's hilarious and pretty innocent.

If she liked Full Metal Panic, I think she'd get a kick out of Martian Successor Nadesico.

Hope this helps, and you are the best mother ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Kids cant go wrong with dragonball, i loved it when i was around that age anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

If she wants a comedy ya gotta go with Cromartie high school. One of the only things I'd rather watch in eng dub. Absolutely hilarious but never gets pervy or uses harem stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

I don't know if are available yet in DVD, because I usully stream the fun sub, but for sure very nice, and not too wild anime would be:

Soul eater (Square-enix... it is always the winning bet)
    Fairy Tail (from the producer of one piece, another master piece)
    Murder princess (it is not that violent, short but very nice anime)
    Flame of recca (Old one, but I loved it)

By the way, if you want to have a look at those, visit <snip>, there is a huge database of anime in streaming, and there you can find something appropriate.

Hope this can help

Bye!!!

Edit:
    I can send you a more updated list this evening if you need :) now I don remember the names and i can't look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 alex4u

well if she has not seen sailor moon then its also a good choice. she can watch it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Gabriele, I've removed the link to a certain site from your post. A quick reminder of the charter:

****Threads/posts about downloading licensed anime or manga are not allowed. Threads about downloading fansubbed anime or manga are allowed.****

This includes posts with links to sites where you can download/stream licensed anime. Only OFFICIAL sites are allowed.

This applies to everyone of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

Gabriele wrote: »
    Edit:
    I can send you a more updated list this evening if you need :) now I don remember the names and i can't look :)

That would be great i checked those out but can't get them complete on pal:mad:.

thanks everyone this is very helpful, the only one I have so far is Cromartie high school, which looks like its right up her street so I'm gonna order that one, I did see another one called FLCL would this be good for her too?

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OP, have you got a region-free DVD player?

Get Princess Tutu.

Trust me.

Also: Azumanga Daioh is great fun.

FLCL is crazy -- also possibly more fun for boys, but you can try it out, it's a very good (short!) series.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

ops sorry for the link, I didn't think.

By the way, another anime I am loving right now is Angel Beats.... Are only 13th episode, but to me is one of the best 2010 anime.

The anime talks about a group of student that live this strange adventure in the afterlife in a modern Japanese school. There is a little bit of action, but basically the story is about all these characters and their story when they were alive.... I found it simply amazing, I really like it :)

Every episode can contain everything: laugh, battle, sad moment, i beleive is well equilibrated.... and ok I really love it I cannot find anything bad about it :D

AND:

If you want something for yourself, another anime that has been underevalueted in my opinion is Togainu no CHI, sorry don't remember the english name... It is a very nice story, but this is more for an adult audience

Anime List can help you:

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (amazing!!!)
    D-Gray Man
    07 Ghost
    Tears of Tiara
    All the Slayers series (This is a must!!!)
    blood plus (this can be violent, but not that much, and it is a very nice story.... from this they made that "c..p" film called "blood the last vampire...." nothing to do with the anime, as usual they ruin the magic of an anime trying to put real people and special effect!!!!)

and the rest i don't know, personally i watch stuff a little bit more violent, but i can search for else if you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alanmoore

alex4u wrote: »
    well if she has not seen sailor moon then its also a good choice. she can watch it now

why you've suggested Sailor Moon? there are also lots of great animes which she can watch...

alanmoore wrote: »
    why you've suggested Sailor Moon? there are also lots of great animes which she can watch...

Because:

A: It's one of the most popular, well-recognized anime series of all time, with almost every anime convention I've been to over the last few years having at least one cosplayed character.

B: It's well-written, well-paced and well animated.

C: It's a romantic action series for girls and we are recommending anime series for a young girl.

Do you need any other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Missiechan:

A: Sailor Moon cosplay has led to horrors the likes of which would make Great Cthulhu weep.

B: Monster-of-the-week show with idiot protagonist? Eh. Also it's kinda lol-90s now.

C: It is good for young girls, true.

Well, the mileage may vary on how well written it is. Watching a few episodes on their own is very monster-of-the-week-bleh all right, but watching the series as a whole paints a very different picture. And in as much as it has inspired some truly horrific cosplay, what hasn't? It's a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Yay for Sailor Moon love!

It was one of the first animes I ever watched, and it remains in my favourites :) It's not a perfect programme, I know it has faults but there is something endearing about it. And Missiechan is 100% correct - watching episodes on their own gets a bit boring but in a series as a whole changes it entirely.

Advertisement