Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Find This Type of Battery?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, my estate has a set of electric gates. The remote control that I have suddenly stopped working over the weekend. On Sunday I traipsed all over the city looking for a replacement battery to no avail.

This is a picture of the battery. For size reference it's next to a guitar pick.

battery_small.jpg

It seems to be a very unusual size. I'd never seen one like this before. It looks to be about half the size of a regular AA battery. The only identifying numbers are what you can see in the picture - 23A and 12V.

Anyway, if anyone knows where I could pick up one of these batteries please let me know as getting in and out of the estate is quite awkward without a working remote control!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Malice_ wrote: »
    Long story short, my estate has a set of electric gates. The remote control that I have suddenly stopped working over the weekend. On Sunday I traipsed all over the city looking for a replacement battery to no avail.

This is a picture of the battery. For size reference it's next to a guitar pick.

battery_small.jpg

It seems to be a very unusual size. I'd never seen one like this before. It looks to be about half the size of a regular AA battery. The only identifying numbers are what you can see in the picture - 23A and 12V.

Anyway, if anyone knows where I could pick up one of these batteries please let me know as getting in and out of the estate is quite awkward without a working remote control!

Looks like a battery for a camera, try McSweenys in town

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think Duracell have something like that - try their battery stands in Tescos/Dunnes maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

themonboys wrote: »
    Looks like a battery for a camera, try McSweenys in town
    I'm not familiar with that shop. Could you give me directions to there or a Google Maps link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

I'm not familiar with that shop. Could you give me directions to there or a Google Maps link?

There's two camera shops half way down Oliver Plunket St, one is a big yellow place on the corner (of Cook St I think). Can't miss it really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

is it a bit fatter than a standard AA?
    it looks really like a CR23A battery, common enough in Cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

The chemist below have that size in Duracell, bought a pack only a few weeks back. Give them a ring just to make sure they have stock.

O'Donovan's Pharmacy,
    4 Pearse Square
    Ballyphehane
    (021) 4965145

Try the link below.

http://www.duracelldirect.ie/index.html?gclid=CJjZ47jWo6UCFVhc4wodKSemIA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Also known as 23A or MN21 or 8LR23 your best bet would be somewhere like Maplins, Peats or a supplier of RC gates, windows or security systems. You're unlikely to find them in supermarkets or pharmacies.

parsi wrote: »
    I think Duracell have something like that - try their battery stands in Tescos/Dunnes maybe ?
    I tried those on Sunday. Unfortunately there wasn't anything like that battery there.
    deRanged wrote: »
    is it a bit fatter than a standard AA?
    it looks really like a CR23A battery, common enough in Cameras.
    No it's both shorter and thinner than a regular AA battery. The only digital camera I own has one of those lithium ion wafer-style batteries so I have no comparison to go on there :).
    Bumble32 wrote: »
    The chemist below have that size in Duracell, bought a pack only a few weeks back. Give them a ring just to make sure they have stock.

O'Donovan's Pharmacy,
    4 Pearse Square
    Ballyphehane
    (021) 4965145

Try the link below.

http://www.duracelldirect.ie/index.html?gclid=CJjZ47jWo6UCFVhc4wodKSemIA
    Thanks Bumble32, that's actually quite close to where I live so I'll hopefully be able to pop in there tomorrow after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

My car alarm uses the same type of battery. You can
    get them from Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Doesn't look like a camera battery to me, looks like the sort you'd have in car alarm remote fobs. Go to Twil Limited, they're in the industrial estate near to the pentagon texaco station by forge hill. They normally fit car kits, etc, Batt O'Leary there will have this battery in stock on the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i bought one in Tesco's Douglas not so long ago if its the one thats the width of a AA but half the length! i know they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

duracell MN21 is what you need .. ive bought in tesco before or else maplin or argos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

No it's both shorter and thinner than a regular AA battery. The only digital camera I own has one of those lithium ion wafer-style batteries so I have no comparison to go on there :).

it's not a CR23A then. they're chunky little things.
    I'd go with paintdoctor or corkcomp then.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stepbystep

Borsatec stock those batteries, nearly 100% certain, and alot cheaper then maplin too, they are in cork, head up for the airport, turn left up the side of the bull mc cabes pub, past miko metals and they are on your left! right next door to top security! cant remember the name of the estate right now. but if you follow those directions and you'll find them no prob, ask for paudie

Just to post an update, through a combination of long working hours and an inability to get any time off last week in work, I wasn't able to go to any of the places given. I'm at home in Galway for the weekend so I've gotten sorted through an electrical shop here. I also bought a spare battery so at least I'll be covered if/when the replacement dies :).

Thanks again everyone for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stepbystep

Just remember to put it somewhere safe and see will you remember where it is in 2 or 3 years when it needs replacing :) im giving 10/1 odds that you wont:D
    Glad to hear you got it sorted

stepbystep wrote: »
    Just remember to put it somewhere safe and see will you remember where it is in 2 or 3 years when it needs replacing :) im giving 10/1 odds that you wont:D
    Glad to hear you got it sorted
    I doubt I'll be living in the same place in 3 months time, never mind 3 years time so it probably won't become an issue. The spare battery will no doubt get lobbed into a box of stuff and forgotten about ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you are renting you should have just rang the Management company / landlord and told them to get a new one.

If you are renting you should have just rang the Management company / landlord and told them to get a new one.
    I did exactly that but I needed the battery pretty quickly and the landlord didn't produce one until a week and a half later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Typical.

Advertisement