Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSX, Bad FPS on a relatively high end PC. WHY?

• 15-11-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

I have a Q6700 2.66ghz Quad Core,
    8800GTX in SLI
    4 GB of Ram

I installed FSX and SP1&2 yesterday and the max FPS i can get is 10FPS with the settings on Medium. WTF? I can run Crysis at 30-40FPS.

Does anyone know why the program would run so slow? 10FPS is virtually unplayable like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Hogzy wrote: »
    I have a Q6700 2.66ghz Quad Core,
    8800GTX in SLI
    4 GB of Ram

I installed FSX and SP1&2 yesterday and the max FPS i can get is 10FPS with the settings on Medium. WTF? I can run Crysis at 30-40FPS.

Does anyone know why the program would run so slow? 10FPS is virtually unplayable like.

I have a Q6600 Quad Core
    8 GB of ram
    8800GTX in SLI and It runs crap on mine ,but every other game I have ever had runs brilliant..If you have vista you should upgrade to win 7 64 it helps a lot.Just curious are you running 32 bit windows op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have a Q6600 Quad Core
    8 GB of ram
    8800GTX in SLI and It runs crap on mine ,but every other game I have ever had runs brilliant..If you have vista you should upgrade to win 7 64 it helps a lot.Just curious are you running 32 bit windows op?

Yes 32bit Vista Home Prem...

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yes 32bit Vista Home Prem...

That's half the problem,windows 32 bit can only see 3GB of ram Maximum ,you need 64 bit windows to see the extra gig and if you can afford it windows 7 64 bit.Windows 32 will just behave just like the unused memory wasn’t physically present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

That's half the problem,windows 32 bit can only see 3GB of ram Maximum ,you need 64 bit windows to see the extra gig and if you can afford it windows 7 64 bit.Windows 32 will just behave just like the unused memory wasn’t physically present.
    exactly on the ball i dont know why people are sticking with the 32bit OS if they want to play games !

exactly on the ball i dont know why people are sticking with the 32bit OS if they want to play games !

There should only be a 64 bit version of windows available these days for the consumer ,the 32 bit version should be sold as a corporate edition for the office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thanks for the help lads. VERY useful!!!

Softwareforstudents here i come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

FSX isn't a multithreading game, it doesn't care how many cores you have. Do you have the traffic and autogen set to High or anything? Also, what aircraft are you flying? I found my system was very slow with a complex (PMDG) aircraft on the ground, I'd get 15fps max on Low. I got a new graphics cards and it's now up to 40fps on Med/High. I'm using XP SP3 with 4gb RAM (I'll be going to XP 64 very soon) and the dual core version of your CPU, the E6600, although my graphics card is a much better performer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What GC did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

FSX can utilise multi cores since SP1...although it still remains a 32bit program so will never use more than 4GB of system memory. The most important factor in achieving good FPS is in the CPU's clockspeed...the faster the CPU the better the game/sim will run. Quad core processors will help with texture loading. I'd suggest overclocking your PC if you want to gain extra FPS

There's an excellent FSX setup guide by Nick N available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

although it still remains a 32bit program so will never use more than 4GB

There is nothing to stop a 32 bit program from using more then 4GB. (MS SQL Server for instance could access ~!0s of GB when a 32 bit program).

The problem with Vista is that Vista can only access 3Gbs of memory.

If you upgrade to Windows 7 64Bit then the OS can access the entire 4GB. When you ring FSX you will be running in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit os but will be able to use the entire 4GB ( or 6 GB or 12 GB etc what ever is installed).

• Advertisement

I've 8GB of memory installed in my Win 7 64bit system and my FSX doesn't use any more than ~3GB of memory iirc. If a 32bit application could access more than 4GB of memory there'd be no need for 64bit operating systems.

Nforce wrote: »
    I've 8GB of memory installed in my Win 7 64bit system and my FSX doesn't use any more than ~3GB of memory iirc. If a 32bit application could access more than 4GB of memory there'd be no need for 64bit operating systems.

That depends on what graphics card you're using.If the card is doing all the work with rendering and acceleration then windows will not need to call for much memory ,on the other hand if the card is not great and more memory is needed it will never be able to give you more than 3GB on 32 bit windows

That depends on what graphics card you're using.If the card is doing all the work with rendering and acceleration then windows will not need to call for much memory ,on the other hand if the card is not great and more memory is needed it will never be able to give you more than 3GB on 32 bit windows

What I'm getting at is that even when running a 64bit OS...a 32bit application (FSX in this case) won't use more than 4GB of memory. Or, to put it differently... if you've 12GB of RAM installed on a Win 7 64 bit system....FSX will not access any more than 4GB.;)

Nforce wrote: »
    What I'm getting at is that even when running a 64bit OS...a 32bit application (FSX in this case) won't use more than 4GB of memory. Or, to put it differently... if you've 12GB of RAM installed on a Win 7 64 bit system....FSX will not access any more than 4GB.;)

That's because FSX is a 32 bit application and it will never use anymore than 4GB.BUT it's the rendering and acceleration of the graphics and smoothness that will ultimately call for the extra memory as the CPU and GPU go into overdrive ,FSX is not using the memory ,the CPU/GPU has called on the memory to process the extra information and if the memory is there the result is viewed on screen because the machine is now able to process the data faster..which is why the smoothest fsx you'll see is on the core Thread i7 OC @ 3.80 GHz and ATI 4870 HD X2 and 12GB of RAM.This is when 64 bit windows applies :)

Advertisement