Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Mills Star

• 15-11-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is Red Mills star better than supermarket brands like Pedigree, Bakers etc???
    I know there are better brands such as Burns, JWB, RC, Oreijin etc but just wondering about Red Mills Star in particular

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I had mine on it for a while,like ye said its not as good as the other brands but better than supermarket brand IMHO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

RM Star ingredient list (taken from website www.redmills.ie): -

Cereals, Meat And Animal Derivatives, Minerals, Oils And Fats, Derivatives Of Vegetable Origin, Fish And Fish Derivatives, Chicory Extract, Yeast Extract

Its hard to compare it to the supermarket brands like Pedigree, Bakers, etc because their ingredients are all derivatives too. Any product that uses derivatives is rubbish IMO because the manufacturer doesn't list the exact ingredients and the customer therefore doesn't know exactly what is in the product. (Could be all sorts of rubbish) RM Star works out cheaper because it comes in 15kg bags. I had one of my dogs on Star years ago (when I didn't know any better) - stools weren't great and then after a while he refused to eat it.

If you want to go with RM's, they have a range called Leader which is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Any idea what the ingredients are? I would expect there would be a high percentage of cereal in it which are completely useless to a dog and just pass straight through if the dog can tolerate it. Most of the cheaper dog foods are a false economy. I'm just making assumptions on the percentages of the ingredients though, but Red Mills seem to be fond of cereals in their foods and Star is the complete bottom of their range. I'd say it would be on a par with supermarket brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

paultf wrote: »
    RM Star ingredient list . . . .
    Any idea what the ingredients are? . . . .

Cross posted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, Star is pretty crap, wouldnt be a whole lot better than supermarket stuff.
    If you want to feed Redmills i would go for the Leader or Leader Supreme range as they are much better in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I love Arden Grange and so do my doggies:))

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Fed Star years ago to one of mine, and she really didn't do well on it. Would recommend Leader from the Red Mills range, but that's about the only line from Red Mills I'd even consider using.

Advertisement