Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep a bored dog happy!! -help!

• 15-11-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey

I have a 6 year old medium size dog. she is a house dog.
    She had surgery on her leg a few months ago and while she had the cast and buster collar on she tore teh cruciate in the other leg. (both back legs) this left her unable to walk. she is now at the stage of recovery where the surgery leg is healed and she is back walking on two legs. she is still very wobbly on the legs. if she goes to run she ends up on her bum! anyway, our vet said she cant go out for walks for another few months because the cruciate, as with humans, will take a long time to heal.

So...any ideas how to keep her entertained. we brush her every day and play with her but wer restricted with games. she cant play tug of war because she puts pressure on the back legs. she also cant play fetch!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's difficult esp. because the dog has to be kept so still.
    Only thing can think of is filled kongs with something like cream cheese, peanut butter, wet dog food etc.
    Those white filled bones you can get in some pets shops are pretty popular with dogs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Try some mental stimulation games using her daily food ration as you don't want her getting overweight either. You could try hiding her kibble in places around the house so she has to seek it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy is on crate rest for 4 weeks :( At the moment I'm giving half wet food in kongs and half dry to play clicker games/stuff into his goodie bone etc. He also loves his nylabones so he'll chew away on them once they have a drop of peanut butter or marmite on them. It's hard - he cries to come out then gives up and goes asleep then when he wakes up he cries again. :( I was working from home yesterday afternoon and ended up sitting on the floor beside his crate with the laptop and he went asleep. I'm working from home again and he won't stop crying so I may end up doing the same too see if he settles down. When he gets stressed he stands up and tries to move around the crate so I'm worried he might hurt himself. He had an operation last week to straighten one of his legs - he has a plate and 7 pins in it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

+1 for Kongs.

My little guy loves the Kong Squeakers. He doesn't need to run around, he just lies there squeaking away, delighted with himself. It's so lovely to see him so happy. It keeps him entertained for hours. Would definitely recommend.

Hope your little one has a speedy recovery, pobble. And yours too, tk123.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pobble

the kong seems to be the way foreward so!! is it ok to give her less of her regular food and make it up with whatever i put in the kong? the vet said we have to try and avoid her putting on weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

pobble wrote: »
    is it ok to give her less of her regular food and make it up with whatever i put in the kong? the vet said we have to try and avoid her putting on weight

Yep this is what I do. We have to keep our guy extra skinny so he doesn't put too much stress on his legs.

Advertisement