Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resitting the leaving cert as a "mature" student

Options
  • 15-11-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Want to make a huge career change.
    Not long out of college, graduated all that jazz but it’s not really what I want to do with the rest of my life. I am contemplating a number of options; the most direct way for me is to sit a number of leaving certificate subjects, and to start from scratch into a related course.
    From my first sitting of the leaving cert, my points are not good enough to get into these courses, (a good 100-120 points short to be honest), so I reckon I’ll have to sit 6 exams. So I’m going to throw out a few questions to you all, and I would be grateful if anyone could shine a light or two for me. I do apologise if these questions have been asked before but can't any of the information.
    1. When repeating the leaving certificate, (here’s a question I’m not too sure on phrasing so I’ll ask it twice, hoping someone will know the answer.)
    a. Do you have to go to a school for full-time attendance in order to sit 6 leaving certificate subjects?
    b. Is it possible to do it part-time, or externally like at weekend (as working full-time, and can’t afford to go part-time in work)? What schools or colleges would offer that as well?

2. I’m about 100-120 points shy of the course on my current leaving certificate points, I need to sit a few subjects that I hadn’t sat in my original leaving certificate (3subjects to be precise). Is it possible for subjects from different years to be calculated together in the CAO points system? Or would sitting six subjects be recommended?

3. Which subjects would be considered handy in terms of doing well?

All assistance would be appreciated. Feel free to PM if you like as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Can you not enter as a mature student or as a graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

hurler_87 wrote: »
    Want to make a huge career change.
    Not long out of college, graduated all that jazz but it’s not really what I want to do with the rest of my life. I am contemplating a number of options; the most direct way for me is to sit a number of leaving certificate subjects, and to start from scratch into a related course.
    From my first sitting of the leaving cert, my points are not good enough to get into these courses, (a good 100-120 points short to be honest), so I reckon I’ll have to sit 6 exams. So I’m going to throw out a few questions to you all, and I would be grateful if anyone could shine a light or two for me. I do apologise if these questions have been asked before but can't any of the information.
    1. When repeating the leaving certificate, (here’s a question I’m not too sure on phrasing so I’ll ask it twice, hoping someone will know the answer.)
    a. Do you have to go to a school for full-time attendance in order to sit 6 leaving certificate subjects?
    b. Is it possible to do it part-time, or externally like at weekend (as working full-time, and can’t afford to go part-time in work)? What schools or colleges would offer that as well?

2. I’m about 100-120 points shy of the course on my current leaving certificate points, I need to sit a few subjects that I hadn’t sat in my original leaving certificate (3subjects to be precise). Is it possible for subjects from different years to be calculated together in the CAO points system? Or would sitting six subjects be recommended?

3. Which subjects would be considered handy in terms of doing well?

All assistance would be appreciated. Feel free to PM if you like as well.

If you qualify as a mature student then points don't matter afaik. If you need subjects for matriculation then you can just do those specific 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you are 23 or over, you can apply to almost all courses as a mature student, rendering the LC irrelevant. As a side issue, the fact that you already have a degree would indicate to any college that you have the wherewithal to complete a degree.

However, it might be worth researching whether there are ways of getting into your preferred field without starting from scratch ... e.g. by a "conversion" Higher (Level 8) or Postgraduate (Level 9) Diploma.

Remember that if you have recently completed a degree you won't normally be eligible for remission of fees for another degree course at the same level, so it could be a pretty expensive undertaking.
    When repeating the leaving certificate, (here’s a question I’m not too sure on phrasing so I’ll ask it twice, hoping someone will know the answer.)

No.
    A small number of schools / centres offer part-time options, some in the evening. Talk to your local Adult Guidance Service (contact the VEC for details if you can't find it on google).
    Is it possible for subjects from different years to be calculated together in the CAO points system?
    No ... you can meet minimum course requirements over more than one year, but your CAO points must all be drawn from one year.

Hurler, I'm going to throw you over to the mature student forum, as I suspect you'll get better advice there from people who have been through the hoops as adults themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hurler_87

i was thinking of applying as a mature student and through the cao; to increase chances of acceptance...

as far as i know, mature student won't work unless I have all the minimum requirements, and competition is fierce...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You can sit non-project LC exams as an external student which means you apply through www.examinations.ie by sometime in January and just turn up for the exam in June without attending any classes. You need a lot of self discipline though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

You definitely need alot of self discipline and you basically lose any social life especailly if you are going for the high points. If its what you want to do go for it though.. Don't tell too many people what you are doing... You don't want the local priest wishing you luck from the pulpit the day the results come out... adds to the pressure. If its what you want to do definitely go for it now... Good luck!

Forgot to mention... I would also get some weekend grinds/classes... Just to keep you motivated and on track.. Also some of the Christmas revision courses are quite good..

And pick your subjects wisely.. Biology/Ag science is a good combination. Business studies may look easy but you need to know the marking scheme and know what they are looking for.

Economics isn't a bad choice either

• Registered Users Posts: 23 3G

In regards to hurler there, im kinda in the same boat,am not a mature student yet, still 21 but anyway want to try the LC as external student and go into third level next year.Im from cork/kerry area and did the leaving in 2007, my best subjects would defenitly be Construction and Engineering and i feel as do these would be subjects where i can score heavily, am but doing the LC as a external student not sure could i do them outside school like

3G wrote: »
    In regards to hurler there, im kinda in the same boat,am not a mature student yet, still 21 but anyway want to try the LC as external student and go into third level next year.Im from cork/kerry area and did the leaving in 2007, my best subjects would defenitly be Construction and Engineering and i feel as do these would be subjects where i can score heavily, am but doing the LC as a external student not sure could i do them outside school like

You can definitely do them outside school but you need to link in with a school for the project part... If you got on well with your old school/construction teacher give them a shout

• Advertisement
Advertisement