Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help please about the leaving cert

• 15-11-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, my names tj from tipperary. i'm new here so sorry if i do anything wrong or whatever lol but i need help and im getting desperate.:(

Ok when i was 16 i left school after doing my junior cert (most higher level) and i tried to find work (silly me) and i couldn't find anything as u can tell.
    So i really need to do the leaving to get to college or get a decent job to have a better life the only thing i can see available is to do youthreach but i think i could do better than that, i think they just do lca and i want more. I want to do alteast a few ordinary subjects.

So does anybody have any links or info on classes i could do to be able to eventually be able to sit my leaving cert?....any info would be great!

p.s. i'm turned 19 2 months ago

Cheers,

TJ.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

There's nothing wrong with youthreach you can really progress from there. Sometimes even more so the going back to regular school plus you will get an allowance to go there.your 19 you will get around 200 quid a week. College/uni won't be out of your reach by going to youthreach there's nothing to stop you going on to do a level 8 once you leave. Think about it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

tjwaterss wrote: »
    Hi, my names tj from tipperary. i'm new here so sorry if i do anything wrong or whatever lol but i need help and im getting desperate.:(

Ok when i was 16 i left school after doing my junior cert (most higher level) and i tried to find work (silly me) and i couldn't find anything as u can tell.
    So i really need to do the leaving to get to college or get a decent job to have a better life the only thing i can see available is to do youthreach but i think i could do better than that, i think they just do lca and i want more. I want to do alteast a few ordinary subjects.

So does anybody have any links or info on classes i could do to be able to eventually be able to sit my leaving cert?....any info would be great!

p.s. i'm turned 19 2 months ago

Cheers,

TJ.:)

Hi TJ - Fair play to you for going back to do something to get your future back on track. I really admire that. There are many options for you, but I would advise just going back to your local school if they accept older students. If you want to do well I would advise going back to 5th year, if you haven't been studying for a while, particularly if you want to do English. The alternative is a grinds school - but they are always more costly.
    I would think about what you want to do, work wise or college wise and see what subjects you will need to take, or what points you need. Tailor what you study to suit your apptitude and that would get you the best leaving cert.

G'luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure why you're dismissing the LCA - it can get you into many courses that will lead you to university if you want.
    Which would be better for you, a distinction or merit in the LCA or an Ordinary LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tjwaterss

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure why you're dismissing the LCA - it can get you into many courses that will lead you to university if you want.
    Which would be better for you, a distinction or merit in the LCA or an Ordinary LC?

Cheers for that, maybe i underestimated the LCA. Don't know if this is a silly question but i don't know anything about how LCA works (except a tiny bit) how well would i have to do to get a merit in it?...maybe i could do a post leaving cert course after that and then work or maybe even go to college.

I'll have a good think about it.

Cheers,

TJ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tjwaterss wrote: »
    Cheers for that, maybe i underestimated the LCA. Don't know if this is a silly question but i don't know anything about how LCA works (except a tiny bit) how well would i have to do to get a merit in it?...maybe i could do a post leaving cert course after that and then work or maybe even go to college.

That's usually the route people who do the LCA take. It's also the route many people who do the standard LC take too, so there's no better or worse about it.

From having taught the LCA, the main thing is consistency. You really do have to make sure every key assignment is done to keep up. Your attendance is very important too, as if you drop below 90% for a period, you'll lose the credits for the assignments in that session. You will know at the start of sixth year (from session 1 and 2 results) how you're going and how likely a merit or distinction is.

On the plus side you can make many of the assignments and tasks fit in with your interests, so you're more likely to do a really good job on them. A merit is certainly do-able with a bit of effort, a distinction slightly less so, but not impossible.

Once you're in your PLC or college course, only the very petty think it makes a difference how you got there.

Good luck whatever you choose to do. The few bob from Youthreach wouldn't be too hard to cope with either.

• Advertisement

Well, i contacted youthreach and basically got rejected it says 15-20 year olds but what that means is i could join from when i was 15-18 and i could have stayed until i was 20. So now i don't really know what to do, i dont have the money to pay for subjects or anything like that. Looks like i'll have to wait til im 21 to do the leaving cert through VTOS, i'm in a bit of a limbo with my age. I have no idea what to do now, i'm getting the door shut in my face everywhere. There really is nothing else i don't think.

Thanks for the replys anyway,

TJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Thanks for that just sent a message to one of the teachers eoin jackson to see what the story is.

Long time no see, i applied for a vtos leaving cert course last may and got accepted, starting on monday.

Took enough time but got it in the end, onwards and upwards.

Good for you. Thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well done, and the very best of luck with it! ;)

Advertisement