Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza Stone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maxblack

Dummy wrote: »
    This one is a tad over budget for me.

yes for me as well..
    I'm looking for the same item in Dublin. Or maybe,in two, we can try to ask cheaper shipping delivery costs.

regards

--
    I read previous posts but they are quite old..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard that you can use an unglazed tile. Terracotta maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yermy

I've seen a round one in Avoca recently, think it was something around 20-30 EUR max if it might be of any help to ya
    it looked like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Italian-Collection-Pizza/dp/B0001IX0XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289900079&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Heston Blumenthal, in his series "How to make a perfect..."
    recommends using an upturned frying pan as a pizza stone.

I bought a good pizza stone in House of Fraser in Dundrum, but it's a few year ago and I cant remember how much I paid, I think I went mad and paid a good few quid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

huskerdu wrote: »
    Heston Blumenthal, in his series "How to make a perfect..."
    recommends using an upturned frying pan as a pizza stone.

I bought a good pizza stone in House of Fraser in Dundrum, but it's a few year ago and I cant remember how much I paid, I think I went mad and paid a good few quid for it.

Hi Husker,

Yes this is indeed what I do. I use an upturned baking tray and it does work very well. But it is not an ideal solution when we have people over to watch the All Ireland for example and I am making 10 to 15 or more pizza in an afternoon.

I used a pizza stone in a pals house last week and found it much much easier in so many ways. The only drawback I could see was that it took much longer for the stone to reach the high temps. With the baking tray, I am ready to rock & roll in 20 mins. With the stone, it took at least 40 mins.

Its fine to use the tray if I am just making pizza for my family. But if there's a crowd, I want a stone.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I got a Typhoon Pizza Stone in House of Fraser about 2 years ago.
    It was approx €20

It is the same as this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Typhoon-Pizza-Stone-Chromed-Handles/dp/B001CBZ8K8

It takes 20 Minutes to heat and it has a Rack to help with the lifting in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

lucylu wrote: »
    I got a Typhoon Pizza Stone in House of Fraser about 2 years ago.
    It was approx €20

It is the same as this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Typhoon-Pizza-Stone-Chromed-Handles/dp/B001CBZ8K8

It takes 20 Minutes to heat and it has a Rack to help with the lifting in and out.

Thats exactly the one I have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I use an unglazed terracotta tile I got from a local tiler on the floor of my oven, cost €2. Works perfectly for pizza.

Tried the Blumenthal method before, heating the grill and a cast-iron pan for 15-20 mins, then cooking the pizza on the upturned pan under the grill. Done in about 3 mins.

I use an unglazed terracotta tile I got from a local tiler on the floor of my oven, cost €2. Works perfectly for pizza.

Tried the Blumenthal method before, heating the grill and a cast-iron pan for 15-20 mins, then cooking the pizza on the upturned pan under the grill. Done in about 3 mins.

That's interesting.

Will a tile withstand very high temperatures? I turn the oven up as high as it will go.

Well, my oven goes to 250c and it can withstand that temp.

• Advertisement

Well, my oven goes to 250c and it can withstand that temp.

That's great. I am going to try this at the weekend (if I can get a tile large enough).

Thank you for this advice.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I got my Pizza Stone in Boots of all places. They do a range of food related gifts each Christmas, and it was €20. Works great at 230c in my oven. I think they have them back this year. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

i went to one of those places that do stone counter tops and brought the dimensions of my oven. looking through the off-cuts, i picked up a perfect fitting slab of granite and paid 5 euro for it. works a treat.

Dummy wrote: »
    That's great. I am going to try this at the weekend (if I can get a tile large enough).

Measure your oven inside first, I had to bring the tile back to get it cut (for free!) to fit inside the oven, so measuring the dimensions first will save you the hassle.

d4v1d wrote: »
    i went to one of those places that do stone counter tops and brought the dimensions of my oven. looking through the off-cuts, i picked up a perfect fitting slab of granite and paid 5 euro for it. works a treat.

thanks, good idea, but in Dublin city centre I think it's easier to find a Pizza Stone than a tiler who has terracotta tiles, do you know what I mean? It would be great to know when we can find it.

This evening, just before the closing time, I went to TK Maxx the one in the St.Stephen green Shopping centre. They do have a Pizza Stone, but there is only one left. I pretty sure it's this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/22-5cm-9-Ceramic-Bread-Pizza-Baking-Stone-Handles-/360319371108

I didn't buy: it looks and it is very small. But I bought a baking tray in ceramic that can upturned: the bottom is unglazed and seems terracotta. I'll try it tomorrow, 16.99 euro.

Be careful with the dimension of the oven: the tray I bought fits exactly the oven but I thought the oven was bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I got my Pizza Stone in Boots of all places. They do a range of food related gifts each Christmas, and it was €20. Works great at 230c in my oven. I think they have them back this year. Worth a look.

Yeah same here. It was posted in Bargain alerts last year I think. They sold them all off after christmas for half price. Bought one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Debenhams had them last year too.

Hi again.
    I tried the ceramic tray.. just after I put my pizza it broke. maybe it is not able to rise very high temperature. The pizza was really good and it has the high border I was trying to bake, but I can't but a new tray everytime a make a pizza.

So I've bought for 8 euro a (suppose to be) terracotta tile from a local shop for builders (Dublin 12, Harolds cross, after the hospice, near the garden). I needed to clean it but it seems ok: it's 1.5 cm high. The very gentle woman in the shop told me to go to "Right Price Tile" or "Tile Style" in case the one she sold me doesn't work.

For the ones who don't like the rough solutions, today I found at Clerys the ceramic pizza stone 33 cm (the big one) for 22 euro. I was looking for a pizza peel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Pizza stones in Debenhams for 27.00, i bought a second one as the homemade pizza are going down a storm!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Kitchen Complements on Chatham Street sell them. You'll find them downstairs. Think they are €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I got this as a worktop saver and hope to double it up as a pizza stone. Cost €8.99.

What do ye think?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15360.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Put that in a very hot oven and I think it might crack.

You could well be right. May still give it a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

This may seem like a stupid question, but what do you do with the pizza stone? Heat it up first and then roll the dough onto it? I've made pizza a few times but often the base doesn't cook right, am thinking this maysolve my problem!

jendafer1 wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question, but what do you do with the pizza stone? Heat it up first and then roll the dough onto it? I've made pizza a few times but often the base doesn't cook right, am thinking this maysolve my problem!

You heat it up and slide the rolled out and topped pizza onto the base and cook it in a very hot oven eg 230c.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

a very hot oven eg 230c.
    230c isn't hot enough for good results really. Proper pizza ovens are 400c-450c...

jendafer1 wrote: »

What I suppose that the Pizza stone does is that it maintains the high temperature right in contact with the pizza. Also it would not tend to drop in temperature as quickly as opening the door of the oven would have on the general temperature of the oven. Probably a similar application to the stone used to cook steaks in some restaurants.

Anyway, I made some pizzas yesterday and used the "stone" that I got in aldi. It is not a very thick stone but I think it did a good job in cooking the bases. I allowed it to heat up gradually as the oven was heating up to 240C and let it climatise at that temperature. Then I cooked some of the pizzas on it. Didnt have enough room for all of them. The pizzas that were cooked on the stione certainly cooked quicker. The others were cooked on a bog standard cooking tray and I transferred them on to the stone when the others were done.

Previously we used to cook the bases briefly before putting the topping on to deal with the issue of undercooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Ah cool, I must try and pick up a good stone slab then for next time!

Sparks wrote: »
    230c isn't hot enough for good results really. Proper pizza ovens are 400c-450c...

Well my oven in Italy only went to 230c, but the pizza's were as good as the ones in my local Pizzeria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well my oven in Italy only went to 230c, but the pizza's were as good as the ones in my local Pizzeria.
    You need a better Pizzeria then ;):p

Advertisement