Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Osteopath / Physio / Chiropractor...which?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have a 21 yr old Connemara X Arab. Gorgeous little mare who looks 10 not 21 - she is in great health and has tons of energy. Showing some stiffness for past 6 months which looked to be coming from the stifle area. Vet couldn't find root cause - not a chronic problem as no muscle wastage, no arthritis. It used to improve on warming up but never gone completely. She is just a pleasure horse for a bit of hacking and my children adore looking after her as she is so gently. She is not used for any hard work at all and won't be. I put her on Stride HA for a month to see if any improvement and it was minimal.

Anyway got saddler out today in case the saddle was causing a problem as she is progressively getting more uncomfortable and bucking the past few weeks. She thinks her back and one shoulder may be sore. She gave me a chiropractor's number but I can't decide if I should get an equine physio or an equine chiropractor or osteopath.

Re physio one very reputable lives next door but is in my opinion a bad handler of horses sort of launching at them instead of gently approaching and handling sensitively - this mare who is the gentlest horse reared and took off in a panic on the lunge the one time I had this physio over as just jumped up on a stool and attacked her back, in general was rough when examining.

Any ideas or opinions on which type of practitioner to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

hi, i can not recommend these girls any higher, they are miracle workers their names are Ruth and Joyce Gaynor.
    Have a look at their website.
    I use them religously:)
    http://www.gaynorequinetherapies.ie
    Hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd only go with a proper chartered equine physiotherapist to be honest. I just wouldnt trust the rest of them.

I'll pm you the number of one in the Kildare/Carlow area.

Advertisement