Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

certifying documents

Options
  • 15-11-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

iam putting together some documents for this site so that i can get my irish trade papers transferred to their australian equivalant. they ask for certified copies of all documents and they give their meaning of certified copies here.
    who do they mean by a "certifying person" or where would i find one here handy?
    also i read in a thread here a while back that if you make colour copies of your documents you don't need to get them certified, is this true? as this would seem to be an awfull lot easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i read in a thread here a while back that if you make colour copies of your documents you don't need to get them certified, is this true?
    I would take that with a large grain of salt.

if it's anything like it is with immigration, then, " 'Certified copies' are copies authorised, or stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the law of the country in which you currently reside."

Those are usually a peace commissioner, or a commissioner for oaths among others. I got mine, for migration, rubber stamped by a peace commissioner and i was asked to get them done again! Got them done a second time by commissioner for oaths and all was fine. Just make sure it's a proper official stamp, with details such as a name and contact number.

Then again, a garda stamp might do just as well! :confused: If they won't do it, they'll have a list of commissioner for oaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sheff11

iam putting together some documents for this site so that i can get my irish trade papers transferred to their australian equivalant. they ask for certified copies of all documents and they give their meaning of certified copies here.
    also i read in a thread here a while back that if you make colour copies of your documents you don't need to get them certified, is this true? as this would seem to be an awfull lot easier.

I got mine certified by the gardai and that worked fine. However i knew the gaurd who done it for me and he told me that some gaurds dont like doing it as they can't really tell if its a copy or what. try them first anyway to see.

sheff11 wrote: »
    some gaurds dont like doing it as they can't really tell if its a copy
    eh? You photocopy the original. You bring the original + the copy, they look at them to see that the copy is an exact copy of the original, and that's it! Do you mean thay have a hard time telling if the original is actually genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

sheff11 wrote: »
    I got mine certified by the gardai and that worked fine. However i knew the gaurd who done it for me and he told me that some gaurds dont like doing it as they can't really tell if its a copy or what. try them first anyway to see.

yeah i was going to ask the gaurds today if they do that. i can't see why they wouldn't do it tbh.

did you get your trade papers changed to australian papers sheff using that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

I rang a solicitor out of the phone book, never met him before and arranged to pop in with my original and copies of docs for certifying. In all there was about 10 docs + 10 copies, he checked them all and certified them with his office stamp for €20 (total).
    About a week later i realised i had missed one document and called into another, different, solicitor near my office, the legal secretary, certified it with the office stamp, no charge, she also offered me her coloured copier!!!
    To be honest i think you're better off with a solicitor, less hassle in the long run. Just make sure his company details, name and signature are on each doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Just go onto the Garda with the originals and copies and they will stamp them that the copy is a true copy of the original . Make sure that they don't just stamp them with the Garda Stamp but also stamp with either the word copy or write

This is a true copy of the orginal signed name , rank and station then stamp that .

Thats all to it .

went into the gaurds this morning and met a gaurd i knew and he signed them up for me no problems:)

on another note,
    when i am applying for residencey will they be looking for garda vetting. if they will require it i may as well go about getting that now as i hear ther is a 6 month waiting list for this:eek:

No harm in getting it done anyway and putting it in with every thing else . They won't refuse or dely your application for having to much information and doc's with it

when i am applying for residencey will they be looking for garda vetting. if they will require it i may as well go about getting that now as i hear ther is a 6 month waiting list for this:eek:
    For residency or immigration, they look for a garda/police clearance cert, it's not just the same as vetting. These certs are only valid in the eyes of the aussie dept. of immigration for 12 months. I got mine within a week of requesting it. As i understand, if it's for migration/emigration, they'll prioritise it for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tikels

Hi Sponge bob
    I have been through this your local court house will have a commissioner of oath €2 a doc I was charged if thats any help

• Advertisement

Tikels wrote: »
    Hi Sponge bob
    I have been through this your local court house will have a commissioner of oath €2 a doc I was charged if thats any help

hi
    got the local gaurds to do iy for me and it was free had about a dozen documents, he wasn't to pleased as he had to write 'i confirm that this is a true copy of the original signed XXXX garda no. XXXX' and then stamp it:eek:
    couldn't believe that they don't have a regulation stamp made up that says just that and then just sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

I hope your not the person who called to me...!

I was in the middle of signing about 15 documents from some person who must have mentioned the fact that she was so educated three times. One of the documents was in four parts, She insisted that I sign of each one.

She asked about a police certificate of charactor... I told her she needed a stamp self addressed envelope... to which she replied that i was unbelieveable that she had to provide an envelope... I wasn't long telling her that we were under no obligation to certify true copies of documents either and that service would have cost her if she went to a commissioner for oaths....

I think that it is a waste of time, I know of no Garda in my station who actually certifies a true copy of an original document and I haven't heard of anyone coming back either.

I got all my Doc's certified in our local Garda Station too no probelm at all about 20 pages and no charge .

They just signed they were certified copies of the original signed and stamped them .

hierro wrote: »
    I hope your not the person who called to me...!

I was in the middle of signing about 15 documents from some person who must have mentioned the fact that she was so educated three times. One of the documents was in four parts, She insisted that I sign of each one.

She asked about a police certificate of charactor... I told her she needed a stamp self addressed envelope... to which she replied that i was unbelieveable that she had to provide an envelope... I wasn't long telling her that we were under no obligation to certify true copies of documents either and that service would have cost her if she went to a commissioner for oaths....

I think that it is a waste of time, I know of no Garda in my station who actually certifies a true copy of an original document and I haven't heard of anyone coming back either.

lol iam a he and not a she
    i did however ask about garda vetting, but don't think the conversation went like your one did.
    dungarvan garda station is where i got them signed. is this where you are stationed?

Guys just an update on certifying Doc's

I applied for partner visa and just got an email back from Australian Embassy in London

He told me that Irish Garda aren't on their list to Certify Documents

That it had to be one from list below

cert%20docs.jpg

That I would have to get some of my Doc's certifyed again.

Advertisement